If GM were to go down in the mess... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

If GM were to go down in the mess...

What would you be purchasing? It's hard to imagine what it would be like without GM, but what if after all of this bail out stuff and restructuring, they just can't get it done? Where is your money going to go?

The second part of the question is, what if all three American manufacturers collapse? What import company are you going to look to?

For myself, if GM is through, I will probably go to Ford. They have a solid lineup (with out a bunch of rebadges - except for Mercury, which should go the way of Olds and Plymouth, IMO) and with the new 400hp GT motor coming along with a pretty nice Taurus SHO, they will have product that people are more interested in than before. They are also the only American company not putting their hands on the bailout money - yet.

Now, if all of the US automakers are gone, I would probably switch over to Nissan. I really like the 350Z and Maxima. I've always liked the Pathfinder, too. Like Ford, they also have a very rounded lineup that isn't bloated with rebadges like GM. This would be very tough to do as I've never owned a foreign vehicle.

I know many of you stated in the "tuner" thread that you wouldn't ever own an import, but if the Big 3 were to perish, unless you were only going to buy used forever, you'd have no choice.

Just some food for thought...

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #2 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Banned

Ford...The new SHO looks like it's going to be one kickass car. Their "Ecoboost" engines look like they're going to kick some ass too. I'll never be able to get myself to buy a Mustang though....They're just chick cars. I've always seen them as chick cars, and will always see them as chick cars.

If all were to fail, probably Hyundai (don't hurt me). The new Genesis and Genesis coupe are pretty kick ass, especially with the V8.

For a sports car, I'd probably just do what I've been wanting to do for years. Find a 2nd Gen shell and put an LS2 in it.
post #3 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

IF Gm were to "go down"....

Two cars -

1. DD - used Dodge Charger.
2. All that extra $$ I was going to spend of the new Camaro would go to build a kick a$$ pro touring 1967-69 Camaro.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #4 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM

I'd buy a used GTO / Lemans, 1965-67. I'd get a New Shelby Cobra if they dropped the price down to no more than 38 thousand and I just can't see buying an import so long as theres a good market of used muscle cars.

D.R.
post #5 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

honestly...if GM goes down (which it wont)...I'm not buying anything...the economy is going to be in 100X worse shape, so I'm holding on to all my $$.

That said...if I did buy anything, it might be a used Trailblazer SS for a DD...or maybe a used G8 or Z06.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 02-17-2009 at 07:18 AM.
post #6 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
honestly...if GM goes down...I'm not buying anything...the economy is going to be in 100X worse shape, so I'm holding on to all my $$.
So true.

D.R.
post #7 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
So true.
I always speaketh the truth my friend.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #8 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM

The only car I would buy is a used GM cause that is all I've owned (used and new) since 1989. If I were to buy anything other than GM it would be a Shelby Cobra cause that has always been a dream car for me. But I'd likely save a few more $ and get a used Z06 before the Shelby. Those Z06's are so much car for a bargain used!
So my answer, used GM. I'd walk or ride the bus before I'd give my hard earned $ to a foreign company! I've had many chances to buy a barely used Honda or Toyota for cheap but chose to keep my broken, beat, and very scared Jimmy that starts every time and runs like the champ it is! Its rusting badly, but for a 1997 daily driver with 140k+ miles that I have put nothing more than ball joints and a radiator in I can't complain. And my GTO with barely 10k miles does quite nice in the summer! Actually a new Camaro and used 06-07 Monte are the only future cars I can visualize myself driving!
But since GM is not gonna go down, if and when my daily driver bites it I have a lot to chose from!
post #9 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

if GM went down, i may consider buying a Ford but that's only if i needed a new car. otherwise, i'd just keep what i have or buy used GM.

if all the US auto companies went down... i definitely would never buy a new car again. i would just keep what i have or buy used GM's.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #10 of 54 Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM

If GM went down I'd buy no other brands, I'd buy an older car (1965 GTO or 2nd gen Camaro) to fix up, and a used G8/GTO as my daily driver, no Fords in my garage.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page