I would post this on TGO but for some reason that site is too slow for me.
I have a '92 Camaro Z28 with a 5.0/Auto Setup. This kid I know MIGHT be buying a '88 IROC with the 5.7/Auto setup, but for now I'm going to play this as he already owns it.
Now most of you probably wondering why I'm worrying/mad. I have a 355 TPI at home with all the extra trimmings that could put me on top but that is no fun. He is a crap talker so I'm going to answer back with my 5.0 eating his 350.
His 350 is rated at 230hp/330tq (1988 Ratings), my 305 is rated at 230hp/300tq (1992 Ratings). (We'll add in Parasitic loss later)
From what he's told me, the car is stock which I find hard to believe.
I have some basic bolt-ons, but I have to do stuff which is he isn't going to think of. I started compiling a list of weight/rotational weight reductions and other mods.
1. A/C Delete - I don't use it and TGO says it's good for 30-40lbs.
2. Smog Pump - My car gets inspected by my buddy mechanic so he'll let it go...Weight?
3. CAT - More MPG, Better Exhuast Note, and no risk of catching fire. I might lose a few TQ but this is more a personal preference mod.
4. Spare Tire/Jack/Co2 - Isn't driven far so no need for this, weight?
5. Lighter Wheels - I was told the 17x9.5 ZR1 wheels + Spacers + Tires are actually lighter than 16x8 wheels and tires. I don't know if this is true but this is also more of a personal mod...they look sick.
That's all I can think of for weight reduction, off the top of my head, done cheap. (I'm not removing any interior pieces, interior is mint).
Now for the engine I have the basics. Long Tube headers, 3inch Y, (Cat Delete), and flowmasters. MSD Superconductors, and GM Blaster. K&N Filters and some other non HP mods.
I was thinking with a CAM, Higher Stall, and some good tires to hook, along with the lower weight I might have the win...what do you think?
(I also work more, so all he has to play with is 45 extra cubes, no money for extra mods).