5.0 VS 5.7 Underdog Story. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

5.0 VS 5.7 Underdog Story.

I would post this on TGO but for some reason that site is too slow for me.

I have a '92 Camaro Z28 with a 5.0/Auto Setup. This kid I know MIGHT be buying a '88 IROC with the 5.7/Auto setup, but for now I'm going to play this as he already owns it.

Now most of you probably wondering why I'm worrying/mad. I have a 355 TPI at home with all the extra trimmings that could put me on top but that is no fun. He is a crap talker so I'm going to answer back with my 5.0 eating his 350.

His 350 is rated at 230hp/330tq (1988 Ratings), my 305 is rated at 230hp/300tq (1992 Ratings). (We'll add in Parasitic loss later)

From what he's told me, the car is stock which I find hard to believe.

I have some basic bolt-ons, but I have to do stuff which is he isn't going to think of. I started compiling a list of weight/rotational weight reductions and other mods.

1. A/C Delete - I don't use it and TGO says it's good for 30-40lbs.
2. Smog Pump - My car gets inspected by my buddy mechanic so he'll let it go...Weight?
3. CAT - More MPG, Better Exhuast Note, and no risk of catching fire. I might lose a few TQ but this is more a personal preference mod.
4. Spare Tire/Jack/Co2 - Isn't driven far so no need for this, weight?
5. Lighter Wheels - I was told the 17x9.5 ZR1 wheels + Spacers + Tires are actually lighter than 16x8 wheels and tires. I don't know if this is true but this is also more of a personal mod...they look sick.

That's all I can think of for weight reduction, off the top of my head, done cheap. (I'm not removing any interior pieces, interior is mint).

Now for the engine I have the basics. Long Tube headers, 3inch Y, (Cat Delete), and flowmasters. MSD Superconductors, and GM Blaster. K&N Filters and some other non HP mods.

I was thinking with a CAM, Higher Stall, and some good tires to hook, along with the lower weight I might have the win...what do you think?

(I also work more, so all he has to play with is 45 extra cubes, no money for extra mods).
post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 PM

You'll have the win regardless.

The 305 tpi and 350 tpi ets are VERY close.

Stock v stock, it is a coin flip.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

If his 5.7 is a true non mod car, with what minor things you have said you should beat him. course the way they are now it would come down to the driver and who gets the jump. both cars are pretty close as is.

Famous last words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm thinking about some high gears, 3.42s or 3.73s, along with some good hooking tires I think I'll have him.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 03:09 PM

I had 3.42s in my 92 stock and then went qith 3.73s.

I liked em both!

I also ran some 295 55 16's on the back with 255 45 16s up front.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

It'll be a good race. I just wouldn't waste any money on your 305 since you've got the 355 waiting. I'd slap a T56 in there with some good gears in the rear and be done.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I thought about swapping a manual in there, but it would be easier to buy a TBI/5 speed, or TPI/5 speed car. Heck it might even be cheaper than a T56 and all the other little parts if I get a good deal. Plus he is an automatic crap talker (even though his is an auto) so when I beat him it'll be 10x worse for him... muahahaha!

I don't see it as a waste because I'm making sure that all parts I buy for my 305, that later they can be swapped onto my 355 (which isn't too hard). Plus I have a fondness for 305s, it was my first V8! lol
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM

True. Both engines are dimensionally identical on the exterior. T56 is great, but a WCT-5 should be easy to find and will be cheaper.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Maybe...right now my Camaro is my DD and if it were to go down...again...my mom would rip my head off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page