MOTORCYCLES - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

MOTORCYCLES

Warm Weather is here! Lots of cool cars and bikes are out for the first time since last year.

At work (I work outside) I see a lot of bikes riding around. Last year I was really considering one and even started studying for my Riders Permit. I want your opinions on motorcycles.

I know they are dangerous, but I would only ride it locally and probably to work since it's only a few miles down the road. My cousin died on one, and a family friend became paralyzed for life on one. I'm not scared, just I am an unlucky person.

My favorite teacher at school rides one to school everyday and it's very tempting.

(I'm not buying one or even looking at them, just saw a few yesterday and sparked my interest that I had last year).

What do you think about a 18 year old kid on a sport bike that can drive muscle cars responsibly with no tickets or crashes?
post #2 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM

If you think your responsible enough I say go for it.. But best of luck convicing your parents.. also remember the only thing seperating you and concrete at 65+ mph is a little plastic helmet.. if you do end up getting one there are plenty classes that are offered that can improve your driving ability

1SS BLACK/SUNROOF, AUTO,BOSTON ACOUSTICS
post #3 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I have thought about that and I would definitely go to every class and wear as much armor as I could...all of the time.

Though right now I'm financially and physically unable to get one so it would a year or 2 before I would even go shopping for one. Just wanted to see if anyone else rode and what they think of it.

BTW: Looking to get a 4x4, small truck, or commuter import for friggin' college. So that's where my money is currently going.
post #4 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Being an mp I have seen alot of mototrcycle accidents (most of them life taking... no matter how huch stuff they had on) I rode dirt bikes and atv for a better part of my life, and its a breath taking experience, I'd say start off small( dirt bike,ATV, or heck even a scooter) then move up from there once your comfortable.

1SS BLACK/SUNROOF, AUTO,BOSTON ACOUSTICS
post #5 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

i think ppl shouldn't be aloud to buy or drive them until they get a good 10 years of any type of driving under there belts....to immature for cycles
post #6 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Life's short, you can spend it in a padded room with a helmet on and still die from cancer, a plane crashing into your house, ect... I've been riding since I was twelve and would never give it up. Its as close as you can get to flying without leaving the ground and I would encourage you to give it a try. Definitely take a riders course and wear your protective gear. Good luck and I hope to meet you on the road.

D.R.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

well if you do PLEASE,PLEASE DON'T BUY A SCOOTER!

I swear to you here in North Carolina we have a few people riding scooters and the fastest I've seen them go is THE SPEED LIMIT of 40MPH
which happens to be their top speed

I mean it's aggrivating to be behind them

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #8 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 PM

i wouldn't recommend a sport bike for a beginer. even the smallest sport bikes are capable of getting out of control very fast. i learned on an 1988 Honda Shadow 600 a few years ago and now ride a 2003 yamaha warrior. i have about 4 years of experience on a bike, and don't consider myself ready to own a sport bike for the simple fact that i would ride it at speeds considered illegal
post #9 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters113 View Post
i wouldn't recommend a sport bike for a beginer. even the smallest sport bikes are capable of getting out of control very fast. i learned on an 1988 Honda Shadow 600 a few years ago and now ride a 2003 yamaha warrior. i have about 4 years of experience on a bike, and don't consider myself ready to own a sport bike for the simple fact that i would ride it at speeds considered illegal
seriously...start off with something tame.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 PM

I will say I am glad to hear that you are "considering" it before ever going through with it. I have been riding since I was a kid and have ridden everything from 4 wheelers to dirt bikes to sport bikes and have had 2 Harleys. My .02 cents is take a beginners course that provides motorcycles. Alot of people think it is cool to ride a motorcycle, buy one and realize they do not really care for it and have wasted alot of money. After taking the course if you still want one, then buy smart. Start off with a smaller cc bike like a 600 cruiser. Then practice, practice, practice in places where there is not alot of traffic. Once you are more comfortable with the bike gradually work your way into places with more traffic...so on and so on. Once you are more comfortable with the bike, take an intermediate level course and then an advanced course. It is just like anything else..prepare yourself. It will cost a little bit of money, but will pay off in the future. Once you have been riding for a few years then graduate to bike you really want. Then never forget that people, unfortunately in most places, do not pay attention to motorcyclist on the road. You have to be on your game every time you mount up. It truly is an awesome feeling being on the open road on a great bike. And last but not least every couple of years it is good to go back and take the advance riding course to sharpen your skills...not to mention most credible advance courses provide you with a certificate that insurance companies will honor as a discount on your policy. Apologize for the long post but I have seen to many young adults buy a top of the line, powerful motorcycle and wrap it around a tree because they had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Bikes are awesome and can be a great mode of transportation and recreation if driven smartly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page