California? Can I has that joint when you're done? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

California? Can I has that joint when you're done?

Note this is only on the bill, not an assault on Dems, Repubs, or California.
-----
California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

Oh yeah..

Quote:
In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures for more.
And here's the study:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints...ation31209.pdf

Come on, California. Do you really want us to plant a MOAB on the San Andreas fault line?

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #2 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Stupid
post #3 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I guess all the Califonia people will be driving rainbow color cars from now on

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #4 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I hate my state.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #5 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
I hate my state.
x 740 billion!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #6 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
barbarianmotorsports

THE F**KN POLITICTIONS ARE RUINING CALIFORNIA .

www.BARBARIANMOTORSPORTS.com
"THE STARTING LINE FOR PERFORMANCE"
post #7 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Where is the Terminator

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
I hate my state.
Thinking bass ackwards, then would Wisconsin outlaw light color cars? It takes them longer to heat up when cold out, since the sun isn't as effective as say a black or dark blue car.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Its amazing. I think all the punks do in elected offices is try to figure out a way to make a name for them selves no matter how stupid the idea is.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #10 of 23 Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorcinLS1 View Post
Its amazing. I think all the punks do in elected offices is try to figure out a way to make a name for them selves no matter how stupid the idea is.
Scott, I just pictured you looking like Dirty Harry as you commented.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page