Manuals Make Slow Cars Fun. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Manuals Make Slow Cars Fun.

A few day ago I rode in a manual car for the first time (Believe it). It was some crummy Mazda thing. Although it was ugly and slow, It looked fun to drive, I didn't drive it since it was his mom's. It was slow and my Dad's Cavalier would of been a good race, but I guess the ricer in me is tingling because high rpms all the time for no reason is fun.

However, I don't regret buying my T/A or Z28, but I'm definitely making my next car purchase a Mustang...er, wait I meant to say manual.

I'm really considering throwing my money away on some crummy car. I was saving up for a truck, while working on my T/A and Camaro, but maybe it would be fun to drive a tuner? Whaaaaaat?

What?

Talk.
post #2 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 AM

I have a Cobalt that I use for my winter driver (and will soon be traded in for a Camaro once the economy gets a little better). Anyway, it's got the 2.2 motor in it w/ about 150 horsepower and the manual.

Even though it's the slowest car I've ever owned, having the 5 speed makes it quite the fun little car. You can do gratuitous revving, pop the clutch off the line and downshift for no reason. Never mind the fact that the 0-60 time is somewhere in the 9 second range, it's still FUN!

Obviously having an LS3 under the hood to go w/ the manual makes it that much more fun!

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Uh oh I'm a traitor!)
2007 Corvette Z51 Convertible
1990 Corvette ZR-1 TOTALED!
1988 Corvette 35th Anniversary Edition SOLD!
post #3 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
The only manual car i have driven was a triumph spitfire

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 AM

My current DD is a 98 Integra, 5 speed, and I must admit the car is FUN! I get challenged at least 5 times a week by random weirdos and even though it's like a 1.8, I whip ass most of the time (mostly because I'm get on the shift and because I'm fast off the line)... but the Teg's 0-60 is like 5 minutes LOL.. however! If I'm challenged while already cruising- since it's usually some jerk in a random nothing, I can leave them in the dust dropping down a gear....I've driven a few sticks though and so far the most fun has been the R/T I test drove a month ago. It makes me REALLY look forward to how fun it will be in my new SS when it arrives.

I may drive a tuner (until I sell it when the SS arrives), but she's FUN!

*ROBIN*
Visit Robin Cook Photography
post #5 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I talked to the kid and he is gonna let me drive it this monday so that'll be sweet! Lol...
post #6 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

manuals do make slow cars more fun... but remember they don't make them more powerful

you can have waaaay more fun in a manual car with some power under the hood

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #7 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM

There is nothing more fun then downshifting into a turn and coming out of the turn in a low gear with high rpms and your foot to the floor.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #8 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Agreed. It's been about 8-9 years since I've driven a manual. They can be great fun.

But I still refuse to buy one. There's nothing fun about bumper to bumper traffic and barely getting into second half a second before you have to go back into first.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Thankfully I dont drive in traffic anymore. I was going to get a G8 but since I wanted a manual I am holding out for the camaro. I cant afford a G8 GXP.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #10 of 18 Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

I went from my 89 IROC L98 to my 93 GT to get the 5 speed. The Mustang was a lot of fun to drive, but it was still very slow.

Tuner car? I would rather poke my eye out.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page