Shoe Rant! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Shoe Rant!

This is a silly rant about shoes! I'm actually serious though.

I have the worst freaking luck with shoes. Everytime I buy a pair I expect them to last atleast a year. (Is that too much to ask for 3 year old kids in China nowadays)?

I bought a pair of VANS beginning of this school year ($50), a few months ago, the sole on the bottom of the shoes falls off!!! I threw them away.

I bought a pair of DR. Schols (sp?) shoes with the gel inserts etc. ($30), 3 days in the rain (I work outside, walking 6-7 hours a day, hence the gels needed) THEY ARE ALREADY RUINED!!! THE FREAKING GELS RIPPED OUT!

I have only 1 pair left to my name, a pair of Nike's ($45), that I bought 2 years ago. Besides a tear on the side of one, they have stayed "Usable" and they aren't too bad comfort wise.

What the heck is happening to quality!? I can't stand buying stuff that constantly breaks! I'm deathly scared to ever buy a new freaking car, LCD TV, or Gaming Computer someday!

Anyways back to shoes, so far these nikes are holding up against rain pretty well. I might actually buy a pair of them again some day. It doesn't help that my feet are flat so most shoes are uncomfortable!

BTW: Never buy shoes/boots ever at walmart! I bought boots there for winter and 2 days later the soles on the back were grinded down. The shoes I bought there (off brand) lasted 3 months of outside use.

post #2 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage

I use reebok sneakers they last me a long time.

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

try LLBean...if they fall apart you send them back for replacements.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #4 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Supporter of common sense

Sorry, you get what you pay for when it comes to shoes, to expect much more from Walmart of all places seems silly

I only buy my shoes (athletic shoes aside) from Nordstrom. Very nice, comfortable and they actually allow you to return them if you wear them

I never spend over $120 or so for a nice pair of shoes. Cheap by some standards, but I'm not the type who can spend much more than that

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I buy stuff from Walmart because I get good discounts. I thought for a store that has a store on every block they could have decent quality, I guess quality in America is done with?
post #6 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Gen_Adam View Post
I buy stuff from Walmart because I get good discounts. I thought for a store that has a store on every block they could have decent quality, I guess quality in America is done with?
There is a reason the prices are cheaper at Walmart, one is they buy in mass quantity, the other is on things like shoes and clothes, you get cheap merchandise

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Adam,

Couple of things -

Never skimp on shoes! You are on your feet the majority of the day, working or not! Find a good quality shoe and stay with it. Go to the mall and spend a couple of hours in the shoe stores. Find something that is comfortable, in both an athletic and casual/dress shoe. If the salesperson is not informative, find another store. A good salesperson will tell you if the shoe is good for you, and why. Don't buy shoes based upon price or style alone. I am not telling you to shoot money out of your a$$ every time your buy a pair. Find something comfortable, and look for sales, coupons, or even search them on the internet.

Second, it may be time for some inserts or orthotics. Flat feet need attention. I do not have flat feet, but I have EE - EEE feet. I have a pair of orthotics for my dress shoes, and inserts for my sneakers. If you are still in school, my guess is that you have insurance. See if it will cover an appointment to a podiatrist. He/she will be able to give you some good advice.

Yes, this all costs money, but in the long run, you will spend less on shoes, they will last longer, be more comfortable, and you will notice the difference.

My last suggestion is go to a running shoe store. Not just a sporting goods store, but a specialized store. They will be able to help. I only wear New Balance sneakers. The make shoes for all types of feet. My guess is that the running store will be able to direct you to the type of sneaker that is best for you. You do not have to buy them there, just get the information. New Balance also has a line of dress/casual shoes/boots that have the same "technology" as the sneakers. It is call Dunham.

Hope this helps. I am a teacher, and I am on my feet all day. Nothing worse than sore feet!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #8 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^ Sound advice for sure from Gino da Foot Doc!

He hit on everything I was going to say, but I also learned something new. I also have wide feet, so my sneaker of choice is New Balance. I wear work boots as a Stationary Engineer, so Timberland is the best boot for me. Since I don't wear sneakers unless I'm exercising or just casually hanging out on weekends, I prefer a 3/4 top Timberland 'dress/hiker' style. It goes great with jeans, has a rugged sole and is extremely comfortable. They are due for a replacement, so I'll be checking out the New Balance line, Dunham.

Thanks in advance, Gino!

post #9 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I own 10 pair of Vans. I've never had a pair fail. I just threw away the first pair I bought that were over 10 yrs old. I have seen that some are now getting the glued on sole. Those probably will come unglued. The Vans that last forever are the stitched sole Vans. Make sure they are really stitched and not just a rubber pattern that looks like its stitched.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #10 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorcinLS1 View Post
I own 10 pair of Vans. I've never had a pair fail. I just threw away the first pair I bought that were over 10 yrs old. I have seen that some are now getting the glued on sole. Those probably will come unglued. The Vans that last forever are the stitched sole Vans. Make sure they are really stitched and not just a rubber pattern that looks like its stitched.
The older Vans were the shyte! Remember, I'm almost 39, so when I was hitting the half-pipes on my Caballero Powell and Peralta board back in the 80's they were taking a beating and lived up to the task for quite a while! I can't comment on the current generation of Vans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page