Your Best April Fool's Prank... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Your Best April Fool's Prank...

So what is yours? Here's mine...
----------------------------------
This buddy of mine I used to hang out with, well, we kind of lost touch when he moved out of town and I got married.

But he had this website he would keep a blog on before they were called blogs. So I would check out what he was up to every now and then...

One day, I was poking around his site and he had a 'Private Message Area' where people could leave him a private message. Just for kicks, I tried to guess his password since I knew him pretty well and BOOM I was in.

So I decided to see if he, like a lot of people, used the same password for other stuff, and tried to see what else I could get into. As it turned out, he used the same password to the FTP site for his web site. I played around and changed a few subtle things on him on the site, but he never noticed them.

So come April 1st, I check, and I can still log in to his site, I rename his home page and upload a page I created that said-

"This website has been shut down due to an ongoing investigation by the Department of Justice office in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Repeated attempts to contact the owner of this site have not been returned. If you are the owner of this site, please contact us here -->email<--. Thank you for your cooperation"

The -email- link went to an address I set up called [email protected]. Now I hadn't talked to him in over 5 years and as I was making these changes, my heart was beating pretty fast.

I also made it so if you scrolled down through 4 pages of blank space, eventually at the bottom there was another link that popped up "April Fools"

After I had made the change, all his regulars that went to his site were sending emails to the address I created thinking I was him and that HE had made this on purpose for April 1st. They were all saying how great this was and how they were like WTF when the first saw the page. Eventually he starts emailing me at that address and demanding I change his web site back and he's thinking I was just a random hacker.

But all day long, I kept refusing to change it back and I kept forwarding him the emails from all his 'regulars' who thought the web site was hillarious. Which kept making him more frustrated...and as luck would have it, he was out of town that day and did not have access to his computer so he couldn't change it back himself!

He contacted his hosting company and by the end of the day, they had tracked my login where I changed the web site from back to Janesville, WI and at that point he was pretty sure it was me. The hosting company did offer to contact the police for him if he wished to pursue it further.

We ended up having a good laugh about it and figured it was the best April Fools either of us ever did.
post #2 of 2 Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page