Holden Ute - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Holden Ute

So my favorite brand, Pontiac, is slowly dying from what I've read (well actually I really haven't read anything like that, I just needed something to start my thread), and I was wondering if we would ever see some unique vehicles for Pontiac?

I would really like to see a G8/Ute sport truck and wagon. I think that would be awesome, but it seems Chevy gets all the cool vehicles and Pontiac gets rebadges (I fear if we ever got the UTE, it'd be an El Camino). I was reading to where they were originally going to import them but stopped because of the financial crisis.

Do you guys think we'll ever see a G8 Ute and/or Sportwagon?
post #2 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Pontiac got a Sport truck

But it got canceled right before production. If GM is smart enough to kill a potential El Camino, then they should be capable of destroying everything else good brought by Pontiac. Me? I didn't want it, but I knew tons of people who wanted the truck. It was unique, and that's what a niche brand is. Yes, I think we may see some cool cars from Pontiac, but it's not gonna be what we think. (FWD)

A sportwagon would have been awesome, but Wagoner said it wasn't practical in their situation.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #3 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Supporter of common sense

That thing should have never have got as far as it did here in the US. Sales would have been miserable.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #4 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
That thing should have never have got as far as it did here in the US. Sales would have been miserable.
As much as I like the idea and would love to see them cruising around I have to agree with you.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #5 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM

I would definitely be a potential buyer of the G8 ST! I love that thing! I seriously think (and don't kill me here) if that ever came to production, I would buy that over a Camaro.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

^^ I can understand that. The G8ST was good-looking. I would have considered it. They wouldn't lose cash if they sold it in Limited numbers: maybe 500 annually.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #7 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
^^ I can understand that. The G8ST was good-looking. I would have considered it. They wouldn't lose cash if they sold it in Limited numbers: maybe 500 annually.
Def agree with that... Heres a couple pics from the 08' New York Auto show I took. I never tried posting pics on here yet, so if the links dont work u could check them on my myspace.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=26284894

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=26284921

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #8 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Doesn't work that way. In fact, it works exactly the opposite way! The more limited the numbers, the more money they lose. (We can have a discussion about cost-based accounting, if that would help to make this clear.)

EDIT: Oops!!! Sorry, Adam! I did it again, didn't I?

Personally, I think the G8 ST "Ute" was a way-cool vehicle and I think it would be a neat "halo" model but this is not the time to introduce a loss-leader of this nature. Hopefully, GM regains its footing soon and finds itself in a position to be able to explore creative marketing programs like this but I'd be surprised if that happens before the planned G8 ST is obsolete. Perhaps the next reincarnation will find better timing!

Last edited by gto_in_nc; 04-03-2009 at 05:35 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that statement. Consider one thing that had the price of the GTO where it was, export costs etc. I can easily see the same problem here, not to mention an even smaller pool of interested buyers willing to spend $$ for it.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 19 Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
SS-Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Gen_Adam View Post
So my favorite brand, Pontiac, is slowly dying from what I've read (well actually I really haven't read anything like that, I just needed something to start my thread), and I was wondering if we would ever see some unique vehicles for Pontiac?

I would really like to see a G8/Ute sport truck and wagon. I think that would be awesome, but it seems Chevy gets all the cool vehicles and Pontiac gets rebadges (I fear if we ever got the UTE, it'd be an El Camino). I was reading to where they were originally going to import them but stopped because of the financial crisis.

Do you guys think we'll ever see a G8 Ute and/or Sportwagon?

They discontinued the SSR because of low sales, it's the same thing

SS-ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page