Souls In The Steel: Automotive Animism - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Souls In The Steel: Automotive Animism

I was given the greenlight by a mod to make this, so we'll see if we can keep this non-religious the best we can. I'm completely serious in everything I type, though some of my science information might be off, just read it.

In my sociology class, we learned briefly about Animism: [The] philosophical, religious or spiritual idea that souls or spirits exist not only in humans and animals but also in plants, rocks, natural phenomena, or human made objects; such as machines.

I first want to state--to a certain point--yes, I do believe in this. That animals and other objects have consciences. I'm not here to type about animals; however, I'm talking about my passion (To a point ), Automobiles.

After watching Transformers a few hours ago, I do not believe that these machines parked in our driveways do not possess some form of energy. I know that was hollywood and this is reality but...ahhh, just keep reading. We, like everything around us, are made of atoms; which possess energy. Now, there is no way that these massive collections of "Energy" just stay there and do nothing, it seems unnatural that all this energy would just go to waste. I believe in evolution, therefore I believe cars (inanimate objects)can develope "minds of thier own", a conscience or soul.

I started to write down all the times my car responded, or reacted to me, and only me. Examples such as starting for me and only me would be the most memorable events. Events is plural because this has happened to me many times, more than a coincidence.

I know for a fact, that I have formed a bond with my Z28 in the garage. It is more than a machine. How is it possible that people can be so obsessed over automobiles? If it is just a piece of machinery, why do we dream about it, or why does it make us happy or mad? A V8 and good looks does not pull us to these cars, what they are as a whole is the reason we drive them, noticed I said "whole", everything.

I've been thinking about these new 5thgens awaiting "their" owners. I am wondering if people will fill some sort of rush of energy and that these machines become one with the driver. I honestly don't believe that these machines will not bond with their owners.

Transformers the movie is probably the easiest way to explain this. Of course our cars are not robots from the future that fight other robots, but don't you think we can react with that energy? Ignoring the fact that machines are not 100% effiecient all the time, and they will break, I wonder if a car is beat on by an abusive owner and then is sold to a caring driver, that this car will not respond differently. Why will I feel so bad if I sell my car to somebody else? We have formed a relationship with cars.

When I bought the '88 GTA (which is now sold to my mechanic), I did not feel comfortable or one with the car. I felt weird and even ignored by the car. It wanted what it wanted and I wanted what I wanted...there simply was no bond, our energy did not fuse.

(Think I'm crazy yet? )

Let me ask you, how many times has your car, should have crapped out on you, but it kept going? That your mechanic call you and wonders how you made it to his shop? How your car made it to the gas station...below E?

When I look at my Camaro, and say "That's my car". I honestly feel, that it's my car and nobody elses, that it's found a home, much like taking an abused animal (What we did) and gave it a good home and care, in return she has grown to love us and I know she feels safe and at home. She is a living creature and has a brain, and conscience.

Our cars have a heart and brain, also a conscience. I think I'm the 5th or 6th owner of my car, I know there is no **** way that we just randomly found each other. I had the urge to go down the street and BAM!

It was there, I put the money down on it, and it was mine...and mine forever.

I think I'm forgetting a few points but I think you guys get my idea. By the way, my title is, in my opinion the greatest title I have ever made for anything so I copyright that , I'm going to write a book someday!

Peace!
post #2 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Confucius say what?
post #3 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM

I think people give too much credit to cars 'behavior' than they give to human psychology.

People overlook the most common thing about people-our flaws. They forget that while we may build 100 of the same thing the exact same way each wire is laid differently to a degree. Each bolt to a small amount uniquely tightened differently.

Energy is never the same. It is ever changing. Positive to negative. It's always flowing. Trillions of things that I am far too unlearned to know go into making a human and any other knowingly alive creature function.

You, a student of the mind must always remember that despite our desires there is always another explanation. When we ignore other reasonings and delude ourselves to one way is when we've already lost the battle of logic.

A car is far too simple for me to believe it is capable of forming a bond.
post #4 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Gen_Adam View Post
I was given the greenlight by a mod to make this, so we'll see if we can keep this non-religious the best we can. I'm completely serious in everything I type, though some of my science information might be off, just read it.

In my sociology class, we learned briefly about Animism: [The] philosophical, religious or spiritual idea that souls or spirits exist not only in humans and animals but also in plants, rocks, natural phenomena, or human made objects; such as machines.

I first want to state--to a certain point--yes, I do believe in this. That animals and other objects have consciences. I'm not here to type about animals; however, I'm talking about my passion (To a point ), Automobiles.

After watching Transformers a few hours ago, I do not believe that these machines parked in our driveways do not possess some form of energy. I know that was hollywood and this is reality but...ahhh, just keep reading. We, like everything around us, are made of atoms; which possess energy. Now, there is no way that these massive collections of "Energy" just stay there and do nothing, it seems unnatural that all this energy would just go to waste. I believe in evolution, therefore I believe cars (inanimate objects)can develope "minds of thier own", a conscience or soul.

I started to write down all the times my car responded, or reacted to me, and only me. Examples such as starting for me and only me would be the most memorable events. Events is plural because this has happened to me many times, more than a coincidence.

I know for a fact, that I have formed a bond with my Z28 in the garage. It is more than a machine. How is it possible that people can be so obsessed over automobiles? If it is just a piece of machinery, why do we dream about it, or why does it make us happy or mad? A V8 and good looks does not pull us to these cars, what they are as a whole is the reason we drive them, noticed I said "whole", everything.

I've been thinking about these new 5thgens awaiting "their" owners. I am wondering if people will fill some sort of rush of energy and that these machines become one with the driver. I honestly don't believe that these machines will not bond with their owners.

Transformers the movie is probably the easiest way to explain this. Of course our cars are not robots from the future that fight other robots, but don't you think we can react with that energy? Ignoring the fact that machines are not 100% effiecient all the time, and they will break, I wonder if a car is beat on by an abusive owner and then is sold to a caring driver, that this car will not respond differently. Why will I feel so bad if I sell my car to somebody else? We have formed a relationship with cars.

When I bought the '88 GTA (which is now sold to my mechanic), I did not feel comfortable or one with the car. I felt weird and even ignored by the car. It wanted what it wanted and I wanted what I wanted...there simply was no bond, our energy did not fuse.

(Think I'm crazy yet? )

Let me ask you, how many times has your car, should have crapped out on you, but it kept going? That your mechanic call you and wonders how you made it to his shop? How your car made it to the gas station...below E?

When I look at my Camaro, and say "That's my car". I honestly feel, that it's my car and nobody elses, that it's found a home, much like taking an abused animal (What we did) and gave it a good home and care, in return she has grown to love us and I know she feels safe and at home. She is a living creature and has a brain, and conscience.

Our cars have a heart and brain, also a conscience. I think I'm the 5th or 6th owner of my car, I know there is no **** way that we just randomly found each other. I had the urge to go down the street and BAM!

It was there, I put the money down on it, and it was mine...and mine forever.

I think I'm forgetting a few points but I think you guys get my idea. By the way, my title is, in my opinion the greatest title I have ever made for anything so I copyright that , I'm going to write a book someday!

Peace!

I couldnt agree with u more my friend... This is the entire reason I am not getting rid of my 94' Z28 when my new one comes in. I have plenty of people tell me ohh just get rid of it and put more down on the new one, they just dont get it. If your book is about stuff like this, the bond between a person and their car specifically, i want a signed copy!

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #5 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Food for thought, Adam. Human beings are genetically predisposed to seek for identifiable patterns of causality because this lends a survival advantage when correct and generally has little downside if incorrect, and we will invent them in their absence. Additionally, we are highly prone to recognizing only the individual datum that supports a burgeoning pattern-theory while generally disregarding those data that contradict or fail to support the theory. We are, in fact, extraordinarily good at identifying patterns (whether they are legitimate or not) but are extraordinarily bad at accurately & rationally evaluating what a pattern might mean. Think, for instance, about something like a lucky charm -- a person might say "when I wear my lucky shirt, my team almost always wins" but a methodical evaluation of the actual data set pretty much always reveals no statistical significance. The pattern is illusory but "feels" right because we have a deep-seated need to feel that we have found such patterns.

Does this really have a direct impact on your philosophy? Nope! In neither a positive nor negative regard. Just intended as a caveat to look for hidden assumptions and for opportunities to apply an analytical approach to seemingly "non-scientific" topics...

EDIT: I must say, though, that I am always thrilled to see someone using their brain! I hope you will continue this line of inquiry.

Last edited by gto_in_nc; 04-08-2009 at 09:46 PM.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I am taking sociology and psychology too....

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerulez55 View Post

I couldnt agree with u more my friend... This is the entire reason I am not getting rid of my 94' Z28 when my new one comes in. I have plenty of people tell me ohh just get rid of it and put more down on the new one, they just dont get it. If your book is about stuff like this, the bond between a person and their car specifically, i want a signed copy!
the mythical bond between man and machine, that line from TF 1 was great, I have had my Camaro 14 years, I hear ya

post #8 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryDomini View Post
I think people give too much credit to cars 'behavior' than they give to human psychology.

People overlook the most common thing about people-our flaws. They forget that while we may build 100 of the same thing the exact same way each wire is laid differently to a degree. Each bolt to a small amount uniquely tightened differently.

Energy is never the same. It is ever changing. Positive to negative. It's always flowing. Trillions of things that I am far too unlearned to know go into making a human and any other knowingly alive creature function.

You, a student of the mind must always remember that despite our desires there is always another explanation. When we ignore other reasonings and delude ourselves to one way is when we've already lost the battle of logic.

A car is far too simple for me to believe it is capable of forming a bond.
Exactly, there is another reason why my car only starts for me, or only drives like it drives for me. I've let family and a few close friends drive my car, I have seen with my own eyes the car play differently, and it is not much different than any other car so it makes me think.

Reading some more on animism, well...kind of, I believe that somethings like rocks or dirt are too simple, a large machine with thousands of parts is not imo.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker15 View Post
the mythical bond between man and machine, that line from TF 1 was great, I have had my Camaro 14 years, I hear ya
awesome... I'm goin on 7 yrs with mine, 2nd (and last) owner

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #10 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker15 View Post
I have had my blazer about 8-9 years

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page