Sacrilege - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Sacrilege

Not completely but I'm sure it will be for the fellow GTO owners here.

Preamble, I own a 00 Z28, and 05 GTO the GTO is stock and I drive it 100+ miles a day. The Camaro on the otherhand is far from stock with tubular SFC's, LCA's, PHR (adjustible), Torque arm (also adjustable), Moser 9" with locker, 4.11 gears and 31 spline axles, racetronix 255 pump seimen's 42# injectors built transmission with 3600 stall, MS3 cam with accompanying dual valve springs and hardened pushrods, ported LS6 oil pump, Pacesetters, true duals and 3400 lbs and probably a few things I am forgetting.

As many here know the LS1 suffered an accidental 2nd gear drop which later caused it to eat itself up. Turning into a 7 cylinder LS1 with irreparible block damage. I have an iron 6.0 block and am planning on building a 408 out of it but with house remodeling, vacation cruise, landscaping work etc the money to finish the build is slow going. I have however procured a complete low mile 5.3.

Sooooooooooo my thinking goes like this, I have a GTO that I have no immediate plans to mod or sell (never on the later). It is just a very comfortable good looking DD. One with an LS2 that at the meantime I don't really need seeing how it will not go to the track and I have too much invested in the Camaro to try to make this anywhere near as fast as it was. So I decided the LS2 will be snatched from it and the 5.3 in its place (although the LS2 intake etc will go on it) since I still plan on driving the car as a DD and the LS2 will recieve my cam kit (which went undamaged) ARP fasteners, LS7 lifters, and probably flycutting of the pistons and get dropped into the Camaro to get it back running in a much shorter timetable than what I have expected with the 408 and shoot for low 11's high 10's N/A.

For the GTO owners gasping in shock fear not, the 408 will be built and will go into the GTO eventually. For me its a win win situation, I get my Camaro back running, the GTO remains my DD but will now probably get a tad better gas mileage and I still have an extra block to build as the play funds arrive.

Flame suit on. For those wondering wether or not the possibility of a 5.3 GTO being traded off as a 6.0 fear not. The GTO will remain the DD even when I get the 5th gen to keep from racking 30K miles a year.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

I like your dedication to your camaro, but being a pontiac fan I don't really like the GTO losing it's LS2; however, how bout you find a donor car and drop a LS1 in your GTO, and the Camaro gets the LS2? That way the GTO isn't missing out on LS GOODNESS.

I have an even better idea! Gimme the GTO and I'll give you my camaro, you can use it as a DD and vice versa!?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

If LS1's weren't still going for 1200 or more around here I'd do that (LKQ still wants about 2500 for one). I already have the 5.3. Also if I had the 1200+ to spend on the LS1 I'd have enough to go ahead and buy the crank and rods needed for the 408 and wouldn't dream of my current swapping plans. The 5.3 is still an LS BTW and will probably push around 315-330 with the LS2 intake and tuning.

I'd probably trade for the Camaro but I'm not sure you'd like the note on the GTO. I bought it on a whim on a saturday without thinking it through and got reamed.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

No note is sicker than my torque monster 305...lol
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2009, 02:36 PM
A New Camaro, Excellent!

I would do either:

a.) drop the 5.3 in the camaro and leave the ls2 in the gto. no need to go through the hassle of pulling that engine out and putting in a smaller displacement engine in there. You might not like the difference it makes. then mod the 5.3 a little until your 408 is ready.

b.) sell the 5.3 and buy an LS3 crate motor and drop that in your camaro.

Just my .02

1998 White Buick Regal GS
2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe
2007 Honda Accord Coupe
2009 Silver Metallic Chevy Tahoe
2011 Convertible Camaro SS comming soon!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM

I'd add:

c.) pinch pennies (skip the twinkies or Guinness or martinis or cheeseburgers or hockey games or theater tickets or bass boat or whatever) to save as quickly as possible to finish the 408.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_in_nc View Post
I'd add:

c.) pinch pennies (skip the twinkies or Guinness or martinis or cheeseburgers or hockey games or theater tickets or bass boat or whatever) to save as quickly as possible to finish the 408.
I'll second this. I'm not a GTO purist or anything, but putting a mediocre LS2 into the Camaro seems like a waste since you have big plans. I'd enjoy the GTO as it is, sell the 5.3 and keep saving for the 408 in the Camaro.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 PM

you should be able to source a built bottom end for cheap, from speed inc, texas speed n performance, etc. Do you have to have a 408? Do you plan to spray or boost? Or you do want a strong all motor car with more bottom end?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

For the 408 so far I have the iron 6.0 block and pistons for it (in process of being sold to buy the 5.3 for 400$). The way things are going it's going to be a year at minimum before I have the funds to build the rest (crank and rods at least another 1200, L92's 600+, intake 500+, TB 350 and probably close to 500 for the rest like gaskets fasteners etc.). The Camaro with just the MS3 in the LS1 was a **** monster without the spray, and I know LS2's with the same cam frequently see close to 500 RWHP. I planned on adding about a 150 shot which should put it in the bottom 10's. I just get sick of seeing the Camaro every time I pull up knowing it's got close to 12K in mods just sitting there wheras I put over 100 miles a day on an LS2 that doesn't really get much action. That and the daily "when you going to get your camaro running questions". When I had the LS2 out putting new bearings my brother joke about just dropping it in the camaro since it was out. I told him I would if I wasn't still paying on it and the 5.3 idea was born. A car that hit's 9's that I can drive to work on the weekends is the goal. How is really irrelevant. Dunno yet Pistons haven't sold yet which means I probably won't be able to get the 5.3 anyway. Dunno still fluid at this point. the LS2/5.3 swap gets me my Camaro running and keeping the GTO running for roughly 700$. Dunno hopefully I get some good paying repair jobs and might be able to do more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page