Advice on HHR - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Advice on HHR

My wife and I were considering buying an SUV (mostly me.) I want something that has more room, I've got a Mustang and she has a beetle, grocery shopping is a pain and good luck if we need to fit more than 2 people in the cars.

Either way, I was wondering why you guys' opinions are on the HHR. I found one close by, a 2006 with 48,000 miles for $8,500. I scouted around the local dealers and all of the other HHRs I can find are around $12,000+ for the same or less mileage.

So any opinions are welcome, thanks in advance.
post #2 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

i have a few friends that own them and love them. lots of cargo space, room for passengers, great gas mileage, and all around great cars. if i could afford a new daily driver, the HHR is what i would want.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #3 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM

~Cracks fingers~

06's do not have dome lights that can be turned on with a switch, unlike every other car. You must open the door to turn on the interior lights. It does how ever have map lights in the rear view that can be turned on.

06's are notorious for squeaky front strut mounts and front sway bar end-links, in cold weather. Mine have been replaced twice. Some VERY early 06's, 05 build dates, have leaks around a gasket in the firewall on the passenger side of the car. You can have a pound on the passenger side floor. Most were recalled, and fixed.

The HHR shares a LOT of parts with the cobalt. My HHR is lowered on Cobalt SS springs.

I would also check the rear quarters for sandblasting...from not having running boards. Mad flaps help, but do not fix the problem. Some 06's have a plastic peice installed to counter this debris that is flung up by the front tires onto the rear fenders. GM will repaint the car, once, and advise you to purchase running boards. So if the HHR your looking at has that. Ask the dealer about it. There is a TSB on it.

I love my HHR, and it has treated me well. It makes a great daily driver. I get around 30mpg, but mine is a 5 speed. The stock tires are OK, at best, in the snow. If you live in a snowy climate you might want to purchase some snow tires or new all sessions.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #4 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
What about the chevy avalanche?

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm mostly looking at price moreso than style. At $8500 I can pay cash and be done with it.

But also I'm just not that big a fan of the Avalanche.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Supporter of common sense

Great cars, fuel efficient, unique styling & great price. I say go for it

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
What about the chevy avalanche?
Did you read the original post?

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #8 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Did you read the original post?
Yes i did... i just wanted to throw him out that option my mother had an avalanche and she loved it for groceries and that stuff

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Well we used to own a 2007 Caliber and it was a really practical car. We moved in a Dining Room Table and 4 chairs in it with the seats folded own. Everything we needed to move it took in with ease. I'm sure the HHR is better, because it has about 10 more cubic feet of cargo room. I think it's a good choice.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #10 of 28 Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a 2008 LT with all the options for my wife last year. She runs a Tupperware business, does the shopping and all that stuff. It's a great all around vehicle for a daily driver, soccer mom runner, or small business hauler. We haven't had one problem with it even though she's fairly rough on it with all the stuff she carries and her "gotta be there yesterday" attitude.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page