Almost Graduated, I Want A Summer Toy! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Almost Graduated, I Want A Summer Toy!

In less than a month I'll be done with highschool (Thank God), and I was thinking about buying something nice to play with during the summer.

First, I need to finish my Camaro. There are only 3 more paychecks until graduation and I think I could finish the car with 1. It needs aligned, a little body work, and I need to put the GTA wheels on. That leaves me a good $1000 in some restoration of the interior or some extra performance.

Now comes the difficult part. For graduation, I'm coming into some money and I want to buy something nice. I have some money saved for college so I'm just gonna reward myself with something. The problem, and reason for this rambling is I don't know what I should buy.

I thought up a few ideas. I don't how good they are but I rather get some good ideas before I get the money and waste it.

1. 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. I don't know why really, but this is my dream car. Sort of innocent in the back, but evil looking, up front. I really want one in white to match my camaro, but black is badass too. The thing is, I want one all original like my friend's Luxury sport. I priced them and they are around $5-10k in my area, so I might just pinch every penny or even take out a small loan and pay it off before college. Stock power doesn't bother me, because I would make this my new cruising car and then mod the hell out of my camaro. I'm thinking white body with the red SS decals, and some Cragar S/S rims in black (New for 2009)!

2. 82-92 Pontiac Firebird/TA. Obviously Pontiac is my brand of choice (mostly for their old stuff), and I love the looks of third-gen birds. I'm thinking white with red lettering and some black GTA wheels (Camaro would get Cragar S/S rims in chrome then). I would get one in a manual and hopefully a carb, take the tranny to get built up, drop in a 350 crate and call it a day. Camaro would return to stock..sorta, and be a cruiser to college...not work.

3. 79-81 Pontiac Firebird/TA. I love the looks of these birds (Probably My Favorite birds). They are really cheap in my area...and nice too. One just went for $2500...MINT CONDITION! A True little old lady owned car now selling to pay for meds!!! I almost cried when I came back with my college savings and it was gone. I would make this my cruiser and mod the crap out of my camaro.

4. LS1 'Bird. Sorry Camaro guys, the Fourth-Gen bird might be the sickest looking f-body ever produced. They are hovering around $10-12k right now and that is a little too much, therefore I would probably have to sell my camaro and still take out a loan. I'm not going to go into detail because I doubt I'll go with this choice.

I'm tired and I feel like playing some xbox...I'll add the reat tomorrow.

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 04-26-2009 at 10:34 AM.
post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 01:24 AM

5. A 2002 Camaro SS. I was looking at a few here last couple of years. I found one at 5900 and another at 6500 with 56k miles and 60k miles, those were lucky finds cause I haven't seen any that cheap for awhile.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc190 View Post
5. A 2002 Camaro SS. I was looking at a few here last couple of years. I found one at 5900 and another at 6500 with 56k miles and 60k miles, those were lucky finds cause I haven't seen any that cheap for awhile.
Those prices are about impossible. I would assume those cars would have been pretty beat up or had some damage for them to be that low.

Honestly, Adam, I would just get your Camaro cleaned up and save the rest of your money. I know that sounds hard to do, but you will be much better off if you wait to buy a nice car when you graduate college. It would be worth the wait because you could get exactly what you want without worry of money.

The reason why I mention this option is because it's what I wish I would have done. If you refuse to wait, go with the LS1 T/A. I just can't imagine buying an older car and trying to fix it up when you have your college responsibilities.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Supporter of common sense

Don't leave out a 1988 Monte Carlo SS

My favorites are the 83-84 Blue SS by far, they are not easy to find in NICE condition.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM

If you have to get something, and it's a summer toy. I highly suggest something in the lines of a convertible/TTops.

That's just me.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Those prices are about impossible. I would assume those cars would have been pretty beat up or had some damage for them to be that low.

Honestly, Adam, I would just get your Camaro cleaned up and save the rest of your money. I know that sounds hard to do, but you will be much better off if you wait to buy a nice car when you graduate college. It would be worth the wait because you could get exactly what you want without worry of money.

The reason why I mention this option is because it's what I wish I would have done. If you refuse to wait, go with the LS1 T/A. I just can't imagine buying an older car and trying to fix it up when you have your college responsibilities.

I'm never going to get rid of my camaro. I'm like the 6th owner and it's an R-Title so I could never really get any money for it if I sold it. If I put a couple grand into my Camaro, it would be a LT1/6 speed or LS1/6 speed swap. However that might be too much work and money.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Adam i think u need a g/f or b/f w/e you swing lol to keep u busy

'Winning'
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
or he might be a hermaphrodite

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm straight but thanks for the advice....
post #10 of 13 Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM

i would like to have a 80-82 corvette
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...3A1|240%3A1308
they are really nice

Last edited by APCamaro; 04-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page