Need Advice About College. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Need Advice About College.

I'm about to graduate and all this college talk is really taking a toll on me.

I'm going to a local community college and I plan on studying Criminal Justice; However, I don't think I'm ready for college just yet.

I have been thinking about taking a year off, and going to college Fall '10.

I don't think I'm ready mentally or physically for college. I still think I'm a little immature for college. Also, I've been up there to get info/papers, and those kids are big. I'm only 5'7'' and I'm not in shape either, a year off, I could really turn around and have the confidence I need for college.

Also a year off would allow me to work full time for awhile, save up a lot of money for college, have a more practical stable of cars, and I really want to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I'm thinking 1 year off wouldn't be bad. I just want to have a year off and have a little fun and also prepare myself for the future.

Many people say I won't want to go back to school, but I don't really see what will stop me from school. I already feel I'm behind everyone else, just considering this!

ADVICE.
post #2 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Adam,
Nothing wrong with taking off a year from school and being a year older. My concern is that you make a strong commitment to start the following year.

I had no clue what to do after high school. When most of my friends started college in the fall of that first year, I knew I wanted to go too. I was able to enroll and start the following fall and finished in 4 years. I felt being a year older and more mature helped me. It also helps if you are motivated to be there. I sold my 1969 Mach 1 428 Mustang to pay for the first semester. I made sure I studied because I had spent my own money. That was 28 years ago.

Today it is difficult to get any decent job without a college degree. Unless you have a good trade to fall back on, the degree will really help you with a career path and expand your horizons.

In my case, the year off helped. Just make sure you don't get distracted and end up not going.
post #3 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

I would suggest NOT putting off college. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you went ahead and did it. Plus, your parents will be happier and there's less risk of the "get out of my house you lazy kid" scenario.

Of course, there's always the military.
post #4 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

heh, i'm a sophmore and younger than most of the freshmen... 17 years old walking into basic training man, wouldn't take it back either.

post #5 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
barbarianmotorsports

GO to college right now because if you go work you will be forgetting about college and the pay will be good and you will say to yourself why should i go to school 4 years just to get the same pay i am getting now. when you get older it is harder to learn i think. good luck . also if you get lucky and hit the lottery then skip school .lol

www.BARBARIANMOTORSPORTS.com
"THE STARTING LINE FOR PERFORMANCE"
post #6 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Adam,
Nothing wrong with taking off a year from school and being a year older. My concern is that you make a strong commitment to start the following year.

I had no clue what to do after high school. When most of my friends started college in the fall of that first year, I knew I wanted to go too. I was able to enroll and start the following fall and finished in 4 years. I felt being a year older and more mature helped me. It also helps if you are motivated to be there. I sold my 1969 Mach 1 428 Mustang to pay for the first semester. I made sure I studied because I had spent my own money. That was 28 years ago.

Today it is difficult to get any decent job without a college degree. Unless you have a good trade to fall back on, the degree will really help you with a career path and expand your horizons.

In my case, the year off helped. Just make sure you don't get distracted and end up not going.

Adam this gentleman said it the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

It is EXTREMELY important to go to college, cannot emphasize that enough.

If you choose to take a year off, it may help, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I would urge you to strongly consider going right into college this fall.

But if in the end you do end up taking time off, make absolutely sure you don't get so distracted that you end up not going at all.
A college education is of the utmost importance, especially nowadays.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #8 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
I would suggest NOT putting off college. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you went ahead and did it. Plus, your parents will be happier and there's less risk of the "get out of my house you lazy kid" scenario.

Of course, there's always the military.
If you DO opt to "take a year off," don't become a waiter. Wait staff who came in with college aspirations often find it much easier to just make a personal wage and hang out with their coworkers.

And picking up where Octane5GO left off, college is always a challenge initially, but once you find a schedule and study routine that works for you, the 2nd year onward is much easier. Don't put it off because of the work involved.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.

Last edited by weland; 04-29-2009 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Why not the local community college - part time (mornings or evenings)? Take some classes that will transfer to a 4 year school, work, save money, have some fun.

As a high school teacher, I think, especially with the economy AND your current feelings about school (not sure you are mature enough etc), I think this may be a solid route.

As for the maturity level. I think you may be selling your self short on that point. Your participation here proves you have quite a bit of maturity.

Stay in school, at least part time. BUT you need to have a plan. so you don't end up some slacker working at Wal-Mart all your life! (pun intended!)

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #10 of 33 Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

omg post whore!

'Winning'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page