Starter Motorcycle? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Starter Motorcycle?

Hey everyone,

With warm weather and bright sunny days, bikes are waking from hibernation and hitting the streets.

From previous threads, I am about to graduate and I am thinking about buying something nice. I thought about a 5 speed camaro/firebird/mustang or a little nissan to play with.

I think I am a pretty good driver. Never been pulled over or ticketed, nor have I wrecked. I am wondering if I'm good enough to ride a motorcycle.

Last year around this time, I went to a lot of bike shops ans sat on a whole bunch of rides. These were new of course, but I really loved the sport bike (I was into cruisers for a long time).

I am thinking about learning to ride this summer so I can commute to college and work, and then mod my camaro for strip or something.

I realize riding a motorcycle is a skill, I am thinking about starting small with 1 of these couple bikes.

2008 Honda Rebel 250cc - $3,100 - New
^^ It is a neat little cruiser look and it's cheap. My dad is real short and he wants to learn too, so I thought it would be cool for my Dad and me to both try riding.

Kawasaki Ninja 250r - $4000 - New
^^ I've read a lot of stuff about this bike. I heard it's a great starter bike, especially if you want to ride sport bikes. It's also light (I guess...400lbs?) so it would be good to learn on.

I don't know if I'm going to buy one of these bikes new, but they seem good to learn on. People are telling me to jump into a 600, but riding is a skill and I'm a little scared still but I want to do it. Some are saying old 600s aren't too fast but I rather start small.

ADVICE?
post #2 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Kawasaki Ninja 250r, new or used is a good starter. I would recommend used since you will probably drop it at least once.

You'll be getting a 600 by next summer.........probably

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #3 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM

A 250 is wayy to small a bike to start out on, you'll outgrow that in two weeks.

Get a SV650 or a GS500.

I'll sell mine if you want it, it looks like a sportbike.

I'm ready for a GSXR 750.

fquick.com/GotMeSOM-go check out my old ride.
post #4 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM

I'm just going to throw this out there. I bought a Kawi 600cc as my first starter bike and after a month of having it i wanted to upgrade because it just couldnt keep up with my friends bikes.

So instead, i would recomend getting an 08 or 09 GSXR 1000 simply because it has a power selector switch.

In mode C, the power selector switch cuts the engines output power to the equivalent of a 600cc GSXR

In mode B, the power selector switch cuts the engines output power to the equivalent of a 750cc GSXR

And in mode A, you guest it, it operates at the full 1000cc power capasity.

Just my 2cents and opinion.

Black SS w/ Inferno Orange Metalic Rally Stripes, Inferno Orange Interior Accent, and Ground Effects Package Options.

Last edited by InfernoSS; 04-30-2009 at 11:47 AM.
post #5 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM

I have a 2007 honda shadow 750cc and that is my first bike, it is a great starter bike. a 250cc is way to low to start with IMO (my bike is for sale by the way lol only 1113 miles on it, have to buy the new camaro )

1100: 2/23/09
2000: 8/7/09 (finally)
3000: 8/11/09 (TPW 9/14)
3300: 9/2/09
3400: 9/14/09
3800: 9/22/09 vin 48156 has been born
post #6 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

well, unless you're suicidal, don't buy a crotch rocket just yet. but don't get a cruiser either. I suggest a dual sport type bike. street comfort and canyon carving ability. that or a Kawasaki versys

post #7 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM

OK, I have read through this thread and since I notoriously have a big mouth I cannot standby and not comment on the complete and udder BS that has developed. KEEP in mind I do understand that everyone has an opinion and its your right to have one, so I am just going to give mine.

MD-Enforcer very good ADVICE as for the 600cc hopefully with training yes, however it should be based on comfort and ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MD- Enforcer View Post
Kawasaki Ninja 250r, new or used is a good starter. I would recommend used since you will probably drop it at least once.
You'll be getting a 600 by next summer.........probably

GOT ME SOM--this is not advice it is trying to sell a motorcycle--he asked for advice.

Quote:
GOT ME SOM A 250 is wayy to small a bike to start out on, you'll outgrow that in two weeks.
Get a SV650 or a GS500.
I'll sell mine if you want it, it looks like a sportbike.
I'm ready for a GSXR 750.
ricku1967--see GOT ME SOM comment--again not advice--trying to sell a motorcycle.

Quote:
ricku1967 I have a 2007 honda shadow 750cc and that is my first bike, it is a great starter bike. a 250cc is way to low to start with IMO (my bike is for sale by the way lol only 1113 miles on it, have to buy the new camaro )
InfernoSS--there is way to much I would like to say about this absolutely RIDICULOUS post. If you are worried about KEEPING UP WITH YOUR FRIENDS and that is why you ride and why you think you need a bigger motorcycle-- then you ride for the wrong reasons. Keep this extremely important concept in mind--80s Adam is admittedly a NEW rider who has absolutely no clue how to ride and if he even likes it, and is a bit intimidated by it. You are suggesting that he go out and purchase a MSRP $12,899.00 bike that weights 458 lbs. Additionally, even as a 600cc motorcycle that bike requires a skill set that he does not and will not properly attain for a significant amount of time--in my opinion. I will apologize for marking you as my primary target, however I have seen and investigated to many accidents where a hot headed, young soldier went out and bought the best crotch rocker out there and instead of respecting the motorcycle and realizing he needed training..decided to keep up with his buddies and wrapped that brand new high speed motorcycle around a tree. There is alot more I would like to comment on however I am sure I have pissed many of you off already, so I will stop there.

Quote:
InfernoSS I'm just going to throw this out there. I bought a Kawi 600cc as my first starter bike and after a month of having it i wanted to upgrade because it just couldnt keep up with my friends bikes.
So instead, i would recomend getting an 08 or 09 GSXR 1000 simply because it has a power selector switch.
In mode C, the power selector switch cuts the engines output power to the equivalent of a 600cc GSXR
In mode B, the power selector switch cuts the engines output power to the equivalent of a 750cc GSXR
80s Adam--you are doing the right thing. Research out the types and styles of motorcycles that you think you want to ride. Identify a new or used (I would also suggest a nice used bike), then take a beginners riding course just to get your feet wet. DO NOT pick a bike that is the biggest and baddest. Your focus needs to be on learning to ride, respecting the motorcycle and its capabilities, and completely understanding your limitations as a rider. I have been riding a motorcycle of some sort for over 20 years so I have some idea of what it takes. As you gain experience then take a more advanced riding course and once you are comfortable with your capabilities then transition to a larger or different bike. It is not about whether or not you can keep up with your buddies, it is about enjoying yourself and being a rider that is able to handle his motorcycle responsibly. OK I will get off my soap box and shut up.

I am sure there will be responses.
post #8 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

OK im gonna Say it i cant hold Back.....Dang Adam you want alota stuff and from the college post you wrote yesterday im thinking its ever wiser to stay in school if you want these things.

Now on to another thing DONT BUY A REBEL there gay dude,Buy a Dual Purpose bike there good on a offroad and easy to work on.

If you go with the Small 250cc Cruiser or sport bike your gonna hate it.Riding it around the city is ok but on the highway your gonna not have any power or speed.Buying or ridding a 600cc Bike isnt a Big deal and there Good leaner bikes still.an older Shadow,or virago they have low seat heights.

'Winning'

Last edited by sdoomxz; 04-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSS View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there. I bought a Kawi 600cc as my first starter bike and after a month of having it i wanted to upgrade because it just couldnt keep up with my friends bikes.

WAYYYY too much bike! Dude's gotta learn throttle control and how to ride first. You're recommending a bike for certain death.

I have a 650 cc that I can hand most 1000's there asses on the curves haha.

Anybody can go fast on straights. Not much skill needed there.

Oh and BTW Artyguy I recommended a SV650 and GS500 both are perfect starter bikes..

fquick.com/GotMeSOM-go check out my old ride.

Last edited by Got Me SOM; 04-30-2009 at 01:08 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Artyguy-- in the immortal words of steve martin "well excuuuuuuse meeeee".

Btw. he was looking for "advice" on what kind of bike to "buy" and I think I covered both in my response......see the words "advice" and "buy" helloooooo lmao, but like you said everyone is entitled to there opinion

here is better advice to make some people happy. just four words. "take the course first" then if you like it, decide on what bike to get, im sure the instructors will give you great advice for that and answer your questions. but first and foremost "take the course first"

1100: 2/23/09
2000: 8/7/09 (finally)
3000: 8/11/09 (TPW 9/14)
3300: 9/2/09
3400: 9/14/09
3800: 9/22/09 vin 48156 has been born

Last edited by ricku1967; 04-30-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page