Thoughts On The Chevy Beretta. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 05-02-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thoughts On The Chevy Beretta.

This is another thread of mine where I'm asking for your thoughts on this car.

Ignore my bike threads and nissan threads, this is about the beretta as a DD. I'm not changing my mind on anything, just curious and looking for a wider prespective on my options/urges.

My friend has a '95 Beretta Z26 (In Purple) with the 3.1 v6/auto setup. It is a quick little thing and especially with us in it...250lb driver and 200 passenger (me..about last year )...plus 50lb audio crap = 500 pounds of dead weight! Anyways..I've always really liked these cars, especially the z26 with that front lip gfx, it looks cool.

However, I only want to buy things with potential so I am on the fence with this one. I really like the 3.1 and don't know what aftermarket life it has but it seems to be an ok platform...nothing like a honda or other jap tuner of course. I love the styling and I'm thinking a 14sec car would be good enough, since my camaro is slowly creeping towards 13s...yes...with it's 5.0L.

Though I want one purely on looks and it's chevy nametag, speed would be a bonus, and I think it would be cool to have a tuner like vehicle that is American. Quad 4 + 5 speed = 180hp/160tq..stock.

What do you think?
post #2 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 AM

3.1 Beretta's can get into the 14's easy, and have decent after market support.

Most people tear the 3.1 apart and put a hybrid 3.1l / 3.4l / 3.8l in.

Good luck finding a 2.3L LG0 or W41 Beretta.
LG0 is 180whp from 1989 to 1992, 175 hp in 1993, and 170 hp in 1994
W41 is 190 hp in 1991 and 1992, and 185 hp in 1993.

Most Beretta's have LD2 2.3l Motors in them.
LD2 motors make alot less horse power. BTW
DO NOT GET A 95 LD2 motor. They are junk.

I though you didn't like rice 4 bangers. You keep making fun of my cavalier. My cavalier has a LG0/W41 Hybrid motor in it.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come

Last edited by -MD- Enforcer; 05-04-2009 at 06:06 AM.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

i had a 94 3.1L corsica (basically a 4 door version of the beretta) as my very first car. i always lusted after the berettas when i had the corsica cuz i've always preferred 2 doors.

those little 3.1s are fairly quick. i never modified mine, but i understand there is an aftermarket for them. i used to go on n-body.net when i had my 99 alero and there was always guys on there modifying their cars. the beretta would be a fun car

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

Last edited by SunsetHawkSelena; 05-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
post #4 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Oh my goodness... What is so very odd is how popular these cars are in rural Pennsylvania. When I see a Beretta, I automatically think dirtbag. I know, I know... how rude, but it is a stereotype that seems to be reiterated each time I see a Beretta. I had an ex who was IN LOVE with them. She had a 95 Z26 3100 (also purple), and a 96 Z26 3100. She sold them to purchase an 03 Grand Am GT - but then sold that and got ANOTHER Z26, this time, a 94 Quad 4 5 speed. You may be thinking "so, demonspeed, you are admitting you dated a dirtbag". Well, she was a liar and a cheater, so go figure!

I am really confused as to what you're all comparing the 3100 to to think it is quick. It is a dog, especially mated to that slushbox since that was the only thing available (unlike the Z24 which could be had with a 3.1/5 speed). Something to also keep in mind is that the 3100 is different than the 3.1 MPFI.

My experience with the Quad 4 is pretty much the same. It is quite a torquey 4 cylinder, but it still doesn't have much on the newer cars. Of course, this wasn't an HO with the 180hp (which was found in the GTU; the "red top" Q4HO was only available in the Olds). It's also a very raucous engine and is not smooth in power delivery at all. They also eat through head gaskets and you'll want to keep up with spark plug changes as well as the little plastic things that mate the plug tops to the coil thingy under the plate that says "Quad 4 something or other".

There seems to be quite a following for these cars, especially in western PA. You can find them all on www.beretta.net (though, with a quick glance to check the domain name, it appears the site has changed a bit). IIRC, the "leader", or the one everyone had a hard-on for, was Rex with a 13-second Q4, I believe.

With all of that said, I had a friend in HS that bought a very clean Z26 and swapped a 3400/5 speed into his. I remember when he first got that thing and we'd rip it around - DOG SLOW. I never got a chance to go for a ride with the engine swap, but I'm guessing it would be *maybe* in the low 15's. I give that guesstimate because I took my ex's GAGT to the track and pulled a 15.8 @ 80-something with the same 3400 (but with a slushbox).

Besides all of my whining about how slow they are, they have a tendency to rust extremely bad at the door hinges and front of the kick plate. Also, the dash warps horribly, and my personal opinion is complete dislike for the control layout and the silly dial thingys that control the lights and wipers, IIRC. The seats are pretty "racy", but the position is odd and I could never get them adjusted at an appropriate height or recline. Don't even get me started on those stupid door-mounted seatbelts that were the rage in the late 80's and early 90's...

With all of that said, I do like the looks of the GTZ/Z26 - except the wheels. The GTZ had these ugly body-color matched wheels, and the Z26 shared the same wheels with the Lumina minivan! I would probably slap on a set of the chrome Cavalier LS Sport wheels (from 02-05) and call it a day. Finding a clean one is going to be next to impossible, especially up here in the snow.

I know too much about these for not caring too much about them. My advice - skip it and keep your Camaro for now. Honestly, you need to be saving your money while you are in school. I know I sound like a parent, but I wish I would have listened when people told me this. When you get out, get yourself an LS1 and be thrilled. If you absolutely have to get something new, sell the Camaro and get a LS1 car.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-04-2009 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Demonspeed said it all. Although I loved the looks of these cars there just isnt much there plus your working with FWD. An LS1 or even an LT1 camaro/firbird would be so much more fun.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #6 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM

'tis true... but he's got the fbodies, so i figured he was just looking for something a little different to add to the mix.

and since my corsica was my first car, and i had never driven an LS1 yet, i thought it was fairly quick and i used to beat up on all the other kids in high school with their civics and other 4 bangers. so it seemed fairly quick at the time, but of course it is not even comparable to a V8 fbody

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #7 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena View Post
'tis true... but he's got the fbodies, so i figured he was just looking for something a little different to add to the mix.

and since my corsica was my first car, and i had never driven an LS1 yet, i thought it was fairly quick and i used to beat up on all the other kids in high school with their civics and other 4 bangers. so it seemed fairly quick at the time, but of course it is not even comparable to a V8 fbody
We've all been there. I remember thinking how blazingly fast my IROC was. Ignorance is bliss when growing up

post #8 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Selena is right, I just wanted something a little different. I really like the way they look and now that I really think about it, I wanted one more for just running around town and for winter driving, not trying to make it a quick runner. I like being different, and how often do you see a beretta that is nice?

Everybody dislikes Nissans so I try to pick a sporty GM car and all I hear is crap about it....wtf!
post #9 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM

hey now! i didn't give you any crap

post #10 of 39 Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

No crap from me, just first hand experience.

Oh, and I like Nissan (I would go to them if there was no more Detroit).

Since you're looking at those types of vehicles, another one would be the Lumina Z34. 3.4 Twin Cam is a special engine, and just as finicky. The killer for them is also the ugly minivan wheels. I believe they had woodgrain running the width of the dash, too.

Something a littler older - maybe a Cavalier Z24, like a 92-94.

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-04-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page