Ford's GT to become history (among others) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Ford's GT to become history (among others)

Yup, Ford is killing off the GT after only 2 years. They're apparently claiming that the GT was never meant to be a long-term car, but it looks to me like their SVT program is shrinking more and more - kinda makes you wonder what might happen to this 475 hp Mustang GT 500 that's supposed to be out next year...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/03/f...-adrenaline-o/
post #2 of 12 Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM

I never expected the GT to go for more than a couple of years anyways.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 PM

they are nice cars though
post #4 of 12 Old 02-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

i saw a yellow w/black one on my way home from the gym earlier

post #5 of 12 Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM

the Ford GT was meant for a short run. I remember them saying this in the begining when it came out that it had a limited life span of only a few years. The funny thing is that they tried grouping the Thunderbird under the "only out for a few years" motto when it was tanking in sales.

But yea the GT was to be replaced with a Shelby supercar beyond the Shelby 500...but now thats up in the air..yea SVT's really got nothing right now..no Lightning, Focus, Mustang, is the Fusion supposed to be one? and then the Adrenaline Sport Trac gets canned. whats left?
I remember a few years ago Ford was opting to make SVT a brand name in the Ford family with Mercury and Lincoln joining the SVT name..I think the Marauder was supposed to be a canidate..yet that even went the way of the dodo..

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Mid
Super Moderator

I would've liked it, if it didnt have any problems. (typical ford)
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-2006, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
I think the Marauder was supposed to be a canidate..yet that even went the way of the dodo..
That Marauder turned out to be, in my opinion, a cruel joke. I was all for the idea, I loved the 94-96 Impala SS (still do), I figured this car could be a newer alternative to one - but despite having 40 more horses, that older LT1 Impala still kicked the Marauder's ass in just about every performance category, go figure.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 AM

yea and that was the problem 302 HP was not enough for a car that size. 325 like the 300C could make it a little better but it just wasnt enough .
Id still buy one though, if I could not find a nice Impy .

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
yea and that was the problem 302 HP was not enough for a car that size. 325 like the 300C could make it a little better but it just wasnt enough .
Id still buy one though, if I could not find a nice Impy .
True, but my point was that the Impala only had a 260 horse LT1 and it still beat a 302 hp Marauder 0-60 and in the 1/4 in all the road tests I read. The cars were about the same size and weight. Either the Impala's horsepower was underrated or the Marauder's was overrated - probably a little of both.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-08-2006, 10:47 PM

the old LT1 suited the Impy more with its low end tourqe where that modular 4.6 motor just didnt have the low end grunt to get the car going...I think thats where the problem was..kinda like the LT1 F bodies vs. the LS1's LT1's take you off the line but they loose power and the LS1 get in thier power band..same comparison I think with the Impy and the Marauder..

1994 Z28 Autobot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page