Check Out This Awesomeness! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Talking Check Out This Awesomeness!

Today was a first. I worked on my car and didn't ruin anything! Check it out!

The day starts out with "buddy" and his nastiness. He was really dirty so I was going to do a real good cleaning and make him somewhat nice looking in the school's parking lot.

It was freaking hot out! Later on this week I had an appointment to get my tint removed. $70 for the removal seemed okay, since it was professional and all, but I was tempted to learn how to do this myself and save some money.

Here is the back window tint (Old Pic--2 Weeks). I hate really dark tint. I wanted to lower my Police magnetism the best I could!

This stuff peeled right off. People tell me horror stories about tint removal, I was pretty **** careful; I got it off with no screw ups. I didn't use a razor once! Only a bottle of windex to get the glue off!

Check out "buddy" naked!

Here is another pic, with all the dirties on him! Notice Window Contrast.

I was thinking of taking the side window tint off, but it wasn't as dark as the the hatch tint, I kept it on.

So I wanted to go back to the 80s today, so I got these bad boys out and cleaned them up!

I went all around town until I found the strongest double-sided tape I could find...at Advance Autoparts!

Here is the finished product!

So "Buddy" was still dirty, the contrast between the louvers and the body was like night and day, so I went to rinse him off real quick at a local car bath.

Keep in mind, this was a high pressure rinse! No soap or anything else, no time nor money! (I normally wash at home, but this place is cool)

BTW: My stripes don't look crappy like that, must be when I uploaded them, the colors got distorted.

Anyways, I started this trip at 2:30 and finished around 6:30. Removing all the window glue was the worst. I'm really glad I did it myself and saved the money, now I can put some gas in it! (Those black stripes on my door are glue strips I have to get off, from where my door mouldings use to be.)

PEACE!

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 08-25-2009 at 06:24 PM.
post #2 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

i used a razor on mine, didn't hurt nothin, but the wires on the back window did require a heat gun so i could peel mine off.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM
SS-Eric

Acrysol will remove the adhesive residue w/out ruining the paint. That's what we use to remove other dealer's decals and such...;

SS-ERIC
post #4 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I USED WINDEX AND MY FIST!
post #5 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
SS-Eric

doesn't look like that worked very well for ya I was talking about the glue on the door, not the tint

Sorry Adam, this clunker thing has got me all sorts of sarcastic lately

SS-ERIC
post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Chevrolet View Post
doesn't look like that worked very well for ya I was talking about the glue on the door, not the tint
It Worked out great imo...

Why are we talking about doors? I'm talking about tint!!!!!!!

EDIT: I just realized your were referring to my "glue" pin stripes, lol.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
SS-Eric

TheDCorvette responded while I was replying so I see where the tint got involved. BTW the car looks great! I love the 80's louvers!
Seriously check out HomeDepot or Lowes for Acrysol, it'll get that adhesive right off!

SS-ERIC
post #8 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Very nice job! I like the car...I have looked for one here (82-92) and only found a few worthy of my attention...most of what I have found has been A frame problems or in one case...a bent frame with a very bad attemt at having it straightened out. Eventually I will find what I am looking for and paint it the same color as the new one I am waiting on (IOM)

needs no explanation

VIN#A9148288
IN MY HANDS 10-7-2009!!!
post #9 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

ERIC:

I'll have to try that, I hate the glue but goo gone is too expensive and didn't do much help!

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 08-25-2009 at 06:58 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

i used goof off. not goo gone. was an aerosol spray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page