RP vs "Other" Synthetic Oil VIDEO - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb RP vs "Other" Synthetic Oil VIDEO

We have always used RP with our cars and 1st oil change its goin in my LS3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2snrIAU2w

Just a vid i seen awhile back..

2010 Blk/Blk RS/2SS w/CGM Stripes
Mods:New ERA CAI, Borla Axle Back S Type Exhaust, MTI Plug Wires, 160* Stat, RP Fluids
To come: 1 7/8 ARH Header Catted System, Underdrive Pulley, Pedders Drop Springs and SwayBar to match
post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Cool video
post #3 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM

You know what though. As good of things that I have heard about royal purple, after I used it in my civic si for only one trip to L.A. I checked the oil level and it had burned off an entire quart of oil. I then went back to castrol syntec and did the same trip and nothing burned. I will never use royal purple again, not enough insurance for my engines.

When I was in auto motive classes in college we did this exact test and the royal purple actually was the second worse at protecting the metal bearing we used as well. Mobil 1 at the time was the best we used aside from castrol syntec.

Proud owner of a 2005 srt-4 on less boost and heat soaked put down 372whp and 395wtq. Building my 1973 celica hopefully running before police academy starts. Can't wait to own a new car off the lot. Looking into the 1lz

Last edited by yota73; 09-02-2009 at 10:57 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Some people swear by RP, but it seems to break down more quickly than other brands. It may depend on the driving conditions.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
Some people swear by RP, but it seems to break down more quickly than other brands. It may depend on the driving conditions.
It really does break down under normal driving conditions as well. I wasn't even applying much of a load at all. Normal highway driving resulted in me losing one whole quart.

Proud owner of a 2005 srt-4 on less boost and heat soaked put down 372whp and 395wtq. Building my 1973 celica hopefully running before police academy starts. Can't wait to own a new car off the lot. Looking into the 1lz
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Really.. I used it in my daily driver 87 Grand National, at 24psi, without any burn off, and i DROVE too.

My older brothers 04 GTO and 02 WS6 they drive 120miles a day to work and no burn off there... must be because its a Civic JK man

Thats why we like it, so yea it could be that but Ive had good luck with it

2010 Blk/Blk RS/2SS w/CGM Stripes
Mods:New ERA CAI, Borla Axle Back S Type Exhaust, MTI Plug Wires, 160* Stat, RP Fluids
To come: 1 7/8 ARH Header Catted System, Underdrive Pulley, Pedders Drop Springs and SwayBar to match
post #7 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM

i work at an oil refinery and we have pumps that run 24 hrs a day 365 days a year and sometimes 5-10 years in all kinds of conditions from 95 degree days to -10 degrees in the winter. we use royal purple in a majority of these pumps and i myself have not seen a catostrophic failure. in fact i have seen pumps with well below their recommended level of oil and they still continue to chug away. with that said i have used mobil full synthetics in all my rides including 86 grand national, 02 camaro ss, and 07 trailblazer ss without loss of oil or failures. the way i look at it is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

I have used royal purple and have no bad things to say about it.
The only reason im going to run mobil1 in my New camaro will be its what GM puts in the Vette obviously they must have something and really back it if they choose to use it.
I use Mobil 1 in my 69 as well however I replace 1 quart of oil and add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

On my older vehicles (flat tappet) I add in a capful of the OLD GM Engine Oil supplement (EOS) because of the higher protection for wear (high ZDDP count). New oils just don't have the protection. Don't use the new formulated GM oil supplement they have now. You can usually find the older version still laying around. GM p/n 12371532.

I've heard different things about RP, good and bad, but I'm not convinced of it OR Amsoil. I've used mobil 1 in our 02 Camaros and the truck, and no issues ever concerning oil. I think it really has a lot to do with general maintenance approach anyway. If you change your oil at specified intervals, you should be ok.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

Last edited by el ess X; 09-04-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page