Popularity: Mustang vs Camaro - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Popularity: Mustang vs Camaro

It's puzzled me, especially as of late, why the Mustang seems to get such universal praise; aftermarket loves it, and owners have so much extreme pride. Take a look at sites like www.svtperformance.com and www.stangnet.com vs. www.ls1tech.com and www.camaroz28.com. Sure, the Camaro sites are big, but when comparing the individuals' cars, the Mustangs seem to stand out.

There there are the magazines like 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords and Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords vs. GMHTP and Camaro Performers. There is simply no comparison, really.

Speaking of owners, I has met many nice people when I owned my '93 Mustang GT and my four Camaros, but between the two groups, the Camaro seemed to attract the biggest dirtbag owners. Dirty rednecks, if you will.

So I move on to my main point... I was browsing a thread on stangnet, the "Nicest Foxes". http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...est-foxes.html and there are some very nice cars. Keep in mind, some of the cars are almost thirty years old, yet they look and run amazingly. How many third gens do we see like the cars in that thread? Check out www.thirdgen.org and you will see what I mean.

I guess it shouldn't matter, but it is a bit disheartening to see the third gen tossed around as the white trailer trash car of choice, yet the Fox's are still highly coveted, tastefully modified and very clean. Hell, even 4th gens are looking like crap anymore.

So, what was it that caused this? How did this happen? Why does the Camaro seem to be flocked to by Joe Dirt?

/end rant.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #2 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Demon this has always bothered me too. How does a Camaro from '89 costing thousands of dollars, end of being bought for as little as $500? How and why do these cars not survive? It sucks that these camaros are my favorite camaros, yet they are tough to find in nice condition. Why do people not take care of their cars?!

I wonder if stock performance has anything to do with it. One car, the Fox, is incredibly fast for it's year and price, while the camaros suffers from more weight, etc. Does stock performance make a car survive longer throughout the years? If Irocs came out of the factory with a 275hp 350 TPI and a 5 speed, would you see them around more?

Holy '79 Cobra

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 09-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.
post #3 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Wow! You guys make some valid points. 3rd gens had an 11 model year run, and that's a lot of cars with the same chassis with minimal cosmetic and mechanical changes over the run. I would venture to say that well over a million were produced. In 1984 alone 261,591 rolled out of the factory. Those shear numbers will effectively lower the value, combined with poor owner upkeep.

I have seen a trend where the 3rd gen cars became the first vehicle of a lot of young drivers. Most of these owners were young and very inexperienced in vehicle manitenance, and just had the cars because they were "cool". Most were then just driven into the ground and cast aside like yesterday's trash.

I haven't owned a 3rd gen, but plan on getting one for a "restorfication" project. Problem is finding one in decent shape. I am more of a 2nd gen person. I've owned a '77 and a '71. I've also owned two Fox-bodied Mustangs, a '88 and '90. Both were LX 5.0's, and I enjoyed them as well.

I believe the 3rd gens suffer because they not only had to compete against the Mustang; it also had to compete with it's stablemate, the Firebird. Early in the 80's the Mustang had the same issue with the Mercury Capri, but that came to an end in 1984 or 85. I'll have to research the Mustang production numbers, but I believe the Camaro outsold them routinely during the 3rd gen era.

It is a shame because I truly like seeing nice examples of the 3rd gen. It has a lot of potential to be a good all-around performer. Even the dedicated mags don't give them much credit. Camaro Performers tends to be more focused on 1st gens and 2nd gens. Hopefully good examples will start making a comeback. Maybe it just takes time. Hopefully the energy from the 5th gen will inspire owners of other generations to build up their cars. Let's hope!
post #4 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
It's puzzled me, especially as of late, why the Mustang seems to get such universal praise; aftermarket loves it, and owners have so much extreme pride. Take a look at sites like www.svtperformance.com and www.stangnet.com vs. www.ls1tech.com and www.camaroz28.com. Sure, the Camaro sites are big, but when comparing the individuals' cars, the Mustangs seem to stand out.

There there are the magazines like 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords and Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords vs. GMHTP and Camaro Performers. There is simply no comparison, really.

Speaking of owners, I has met many nice people when I owned my '93 Mustang GT and my four Camaros, but between the two groups, the Camaro seemed to attract the biggest dirtbag owners. Dirty rednecks, if you will.

So I move on to my main point... I was browsing a thread on stangnet, the "Nicest Foxes". http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...est-foxes.html and there are some very nice cars. Keep in mind, some of the cars are almost thirty years old, yet they look and run amazingly. How many third gens do we see like the cars in that thread? Check out www.thirdgen.org and you will see what I mean.

I guess it shouldn't matter, but it is a bit disheartening to see the third gen tossed around as the white trailer trash car of choice, yet the Fox's are still highly coveted, tastefully modified and very clean. Hell, even 4th gens are looking like crap anymore.

So, what was it that caused this? How did this happen? Why does the Camaro seem to be flocked to by Joe Dirt?

/end rant.
IMO the Fox body was a good Racing platform. Still is you can stuff a chevy motor in a fox body and have a good race car
It is sad if you ask me just different types of people.
post #5 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I know that my initial post was more of bits of opinion thrown in without much structure. I was tired and wanted to get my thoughts into a post.

I do not know if the physical number of cars produced has anything to do with it or not, but, IIRC, the Mustang outsold the Camaro from 86-92, if not more.

While an assumption of young drivers own the thirdgens, I am not sure it's any worse than a fox body. My first car when I was 16 was an IROC, and was sooooo proud of that thing and it was clean all of the time. I would say that Adam's 92 Z28 has as much pride put into it, it just needs a fender

Either way, it's disheartening to see how mint and FAST these fox bodies are, yet our Camaros of the same era are just left to the trailer parks. Maybe things will change now that the media seems to think it's "cool" to have a new Camaro.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #6 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think our camaro's got better as in HP/motor wise after the 3rd gen to where back in the fox bodies you had the 5.0L shortly afterward when we got a LT1 ford went with a 4.6L which for drag racing a lot of people stayed with the 5.0L . The 305's tpi to some were dogs only because of what GM offered us after that time period. ( calm down Adam dont come looking for me to try and kick my a$$ )
Suspension wise a 3rd gen can be a track king of the twisties if you put the right stuff into it.
The fox and mustang was straight line only.

I so rspect people who have kept the 3rd gens so nice and clean a Clean iroc looks Kicka$$. I think out of all camaros the 3rdgen lost its value meaning how much its worth the most. Probably with how they were treated.
I think aftermarket and hp had a lot to do with it. TPI vs 5.0L and aftermarket.

shrugs
post #7 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Reason for the Mustang being more popular is this:

American's love drag racing and Ford built almost 5 Mustangs for every one Camaro ever built.

The Camaro is decidedly better in AX than a Mustang, but how many American's actually care about that form of racing?

Like the shirts at my AX event this Sunday read: Fast Car or Fast Driver?

Most people just want a fast car.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #8 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

well, i actually want a third gen, but i love all gens of camaros since a long time, the only mustang that i like would be a first gen.

post #9 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post

Holy '79 Cobra

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #10 of 84 Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM

I remember the 80s Mustangs well. I remember test driving them when shopping for cars. They were cheap and plentiful, still are.

I like all makes and models of cars. I wouldn't throw a SVO or notchback out if I was given one or could pick up one cheap.

I also dearly miss my 83 cross-fire Z-28 and my 92 Purple-Haze Camaros that I often look on E-Bay hoping to get a deal on another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page