Confused - Transmission Codes - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Confused - Transmission Codes

Could someone please shed some light on this confusion..

Seems Chevrolet liked to confuse people with multiple RPO codes for transmissions.

my understanding is that the MX0 is a RPO used to refer that one selected an automatic 4 speed transmissions. However the 2010 Camaro seems to use this as a Generic RPO for the Auto 6?

Upon further documentation (Restoration kits, Books, Magazines, and online sources) there are even more RPO codes for various Transmissions throughout the year referring to the same transmissions..

For example the following shows reference of two RPO codes for the same transmission

Example:

5-speed Manual M49 & MM5
4-speed Auto MD8 & MX0
6-speed Manual M28 & MN6 (Same MN6)
6-speed Manual M29 & MN6 (Same MN6)
MB1 & MM5
M39 & MM5
MK6 & MM5

And many others thought the years..

Going by this it SEEMS to indicate that :

- MM5 was the code to refer that a Manual 5-speed had been selected
- MN6 was the code to refer that an Automatic 6-speed had been selected

But other years become more puzzling.

1. Which of these would show up on your RPO decal? Both M49 and MM5 ?

Referring to the restoration kits make it even worse because of one part they list for example M49 as the transmission for a given engine, and yet other pages mentioning the same indicate MM5 then an RPO list show the transmission as being M49, then another RPO list somewhere else might show it being M49.

2. How exactly can you easily understand what the transmission codes refer to? (Whether they are those above, or others from other years as there are more that I have yet to mention) How do you know which is for the "Denoted selection of a TYPE of tranny (i.e.. a 5-speed manual)" and which refers to the ACTUAL SPECIFIC transmission?

Thanks,

Paul
post #2 of 3 Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM

I am not sure this answers your question, but having your VIN run by the dealership will clear up any confusion.

RPO codes for one year do NOT always carry over from one year to the next and mean the same thing from one model to the next, so I am sure trannies are no exception.

Think about Z71 RPO code. On the older trucks, it was a RPO that could ONLY be added to a vehicle with 4x4. This held true until the Colorado came along and it was an offroad package that could be added to the 2wd or 4wd.

Also, if you have all of your RPO codes from your VIN and look them up in a GM white book, then some of them will NOT make sense at all. Whereas if you have GM run the VIN, then they seem to tie in better with explanations with the specific vehicle. Just my opinion.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Hi Paul!

That's a tough question to answer really.

Multiple codes have been used over the years, and many are repeated.
But when the RPO code changes, there is always some sort of change to warrant that.
However, that said, sometimes there's a part change without an RPO change.

Case in point:
LT1 (1993-1997) and LS1 (1998-2002) had different 4-speed auto transmissions.
In fact the 1993 unit was unique in itself as well.
However all autos from 1993-2002 were coded MX0.

Very difficult to figure out, but I would recommend "The Camaro White Book" as a reference to use, all RPOs for all 1967-2002 Camaros are listed.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page