Report: GTO dead... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Report: GTO dead...

From Automotive News:

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

"For the remaining life of the car, it simply wasn't worth the engineering expense or effort to re-certify it as an '07 for a very limited run, when we could continue selling them as '06s," says a source close to GM who is familiar with the program.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source. There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."

Another source says that GM has indicated that it would like to have another vehicle in that "space" in the future.
post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 AM

I don't think the current GTO was ever planned to go past the 2006 model year. I have an 04 and I absolutely love it - my plans were to have this car and then upgrade to an 06 LS2 this year - I dunno, I still might do it, I haven't totally made up my mind.

I find it interesting that GM hyped the holy hell out of the GTO right when it came out, then it turns out to be a sales dud and now, the term "GTO", along with "Firebird", seems to have become another forbidden term at Pontiac. Lucky for them that they're getting a version of the Cobalt...
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I agree the current car is done this year, but the article seems to say there won't be a new GTO either.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Yup '06 is the last of the current GTO, but I think it'll be back in a couple years.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM

S'OK - I already got mine.

Word on the street is that there are no longer any plans for a redesigned one coming up, either.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 03:56 PM

GTO wasn't as big of a hit as they hoped. i assume due to the design. i see it comming back later though, but i expect to see the firebird return first.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

one of the biggest problems was delivery time, selena ordered our 05 in feb and it didn't ome in until july. I've heard of many stories of a longer time line.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Mid
Super Moderator

They just need to re design it into something retro and aggressive, like the camaro concept. Or bring back the firebird
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 08:48 PM

the commodore might actually sell better here. a well built mid level sports sedan. what the 96 Impy SS was
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Yup '06 is the last of the current GTO, but I think it'll be back in a couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page