My dog has fleas. Anyone else deal with this? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My dog has fleas. Anyone else deal with this?

I decided to be nice and let him [Tyson; Dachshund] sleep in bed with us last night. He usually stays in bed until I am ready to leave for work, at which point I take him outside to do his business. This morning I noticed a bunch of little black things in the sheets. I realized this was the flea larvae and that we had some problems. I noticed he had been acting funny the past couple of days, and my fiance says that she thought she saw a bug on him the other evening.

I put a dose of Frontline on him before I went to work. I also picked up some flea shampoo, comb and flea bombs. He got a bath this evening, I'm doing a crap load of laundry, and I've vacuumed the floors three times. The poor guy has all these little red bite marks on the underside of him. I even grabbed an adult flea running through his hair.

I haven't bombed the apartment yet since it says you need to leave for two hours. I don't know what else to do, but I'm really paranoid about the whole situation. Another problem is that it's homecoming weekend at PSU, but now we've got to stay here since no one can watch him and no kennel will take him. I've got two days to sell a pair of tickets! Geez!

/endrant.

Anyone else have to deal with this?

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #2 of 28 Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Yea my dog (Moose, American Bulldog) recently got fleas for a second time, before we found out he got them from the groomer, we bombed the areas he stayed in alot, the small chair he has and his bed, but somehow about 3 months later they came back, idk what to do, but so far the second time around its looking better, we got a pet safe anti tick and flea spray for is chair but his bed we just ended up throwing out, we just ordered him a new one. we also put a liquid on his back it absorbs through the skin and that helps alot too.

2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible Auto, CGM
2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 3.6L Manual [Production #115] Black with cyber grey stripes (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3370622) Traded 12/10/11
August 2011 MotM
-"Team LLT" representative
South Jersey Camaro Club member
post #3 of 28 Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

The best thing you can really do is apply the flea resistant stuff to his skin. (theres a tube that you squeeze the stuff out of between the shoulder blades to the tail bone)

but you gotta bomb the house too, or the fleas will just come back

post #4 of 28 Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Bomb is a bad idea!

Had stray/feral cats tear through a crawl space under my house. They had fleas, hence so did my yard and house. I had over 100 bites on my legs. Bite the bullet and call the exterminator! I tried sprays. I tried powders. Anything with boric acid (20 mule team borax detergent) is helpful. I spend several weekends spreading this detergent (and straight boric acid from the pet store) on my carpet and using a push broom to work it into the carpet. (All 4000 square feet of it!) I had to treat the lawns, cement, garage etc. I chose the exterminator finally when the I thought I was close, but still had one or two on me. He came, sprayed the house, I had to leave for two hours, but no nearly as messy as a bomb. Week and a half, no sign of them (knocks on wood). The pet store told me if I had a pet that front line would take care of it in a few days as the fleas need food. Once your dog is protected, they fleas will continue to commit suicide. Since I have no pet, not a theory I could try. Bombs require no pilot light, no power source that cycles on and off, and MAJOR clean up after. Just my $0.14. Hope it helps and good luck!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #5 of 28 Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

You can drop Ty off at my house.

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 10-15-2009 at 09:56 AM.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 AM

There ain't no bugs on me

<3 Mine:2LT IOM CGM rally stripes sunroof <3
post #7 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

Comfortis once per month. A bit pricey, but effective as all get out. My dog has no fleas. When fleas bite him, it's a kiss of death for them and any larva.

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member

Just want to add if you have an infestation problem, that will have to be addressed as well. Comfortis will protect the dog, but if fleas are rampant in the house, that's a whole 'nother issue.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS View Post
The best thing you can really do is apply the flea resistant stuff to his skin. (theres a tube that you squeeze the stuff out of between the shoulder blades to the tail bone)
That's the Frontline stuff. We usually do that once a month, but we slacked off during our move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
Bomb is a bad idea!
So the bomb is messy? I know it mentions covering food and things, but it's that bad?

The other problem is that it's not a house -- it's an apartment building. I am going to contact the management office to let them know about this and maybe they can send Terminix over.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 28 Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Supporter of common sense

Sounds like you are doing the right things. I'm not a fan of the bomb either.

In the past I have taken the dog to the groomers for a flea bath. While he is gone, vaccum and CLEAN the house, launder ALL towels, linens, etc that have been out and exposed. Wipe down (clean) all hard floor surfaces. Pick up the dog, give them a dose of Frontline and you SHOULD be OK.

If you have a yard, you will need to cover the grass etc with the proper product as well.

Good Luck

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page