Teenagers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Teenagers

Gggrrrrrr....my wife and I just got back from taking our two teenage boys to the mall. My gosh, I don't when I got old but I am at 41.

We were trying to get both of them shoes and hoodies as they seem to need new ones every 3 months. I swear they've gone through two pairs of shoes a piece since school started...ANYWAY...why in the world do they insist on buying some of the loudest-most-obnoxious colored clothes? And then they get pissed off when they ask my opinion on a sweatshirt they are looking at buying. Never heard of some of the brands either...what ever happened to just a Levi's jean jacket or a Longhorns sweatshirt?

My wife eventually walked out and left me in the store (The Buckle...?) with me and the two money-grubbers to battle it out. Of course they both ganged up on me and won!!

Sorry for venting on here...just wondering if any other parents are going through the same stuff...lol.

2010 IOM 2SS/RS M6
post #2 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

It's a new style. It was all over my highschool.
post #3 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
You should buy whatever clothes you want them to wear and if they dont like it, it will be there problem.

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #4 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

You were a teen in the mid-80's; I'm sure your own parents were sometimes wondering WTF.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #5 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Mojo View Post
Gggrrrrrr....my wife and I just got back from taking our two teenage boys to the mall. My gosh, I don't when I got old but I am at 41.

We were trying to get both of them shoes and hoodies as they seem to need new ones every 3 months. I swear they've gone through two pairs of shoes a piece since school started...ANYWAY...why in the world do they insist on buying some of the loudest-most-obnoxious colored clothes? And then they get pissed off when they ask my opinion on a sweatshirt they are looking at buying. Never heard of some of the brands either...what ever happened to just a Levi's jean jacket or a Longhorns sweatshirt?

My wife eventually walked out and left me in the store (The Buckle...?) with me and the two money-grubbers to battle it out. Of course they both ganged up on me and won!!

Sorry for venting on here...just wondering if any other parents are going through the same stuff...lol.
The problem is, your an adult now. When you were a teenager you knew it all too. As your son do now. You on the other hand are old and stupid. Listen to your sons. They know it all. You and your money will soon be parted...

I laugh with you. My kids are all grown. And I'd do it all over again!

Fly Low and avoid the radar
post #6 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Take lots of pictures, then threaten them with said pictures when they get older when you want something done Really though, it's just changing times, we had our time in the 70's and 80's (I'm 43, 44 on Monday), and the kids of today have their time (I have a 15 yr old son). I have mine do chores to earn money for the things he wants that I won't buy ($150 sneakers, on a whim things that he just has to have). I buy him a full new set of clothes once a year just before school starts, and usually end up replacing shoes and jacket after about 6 months. If he wants anything else, he has to use his own money.

It can be frustrating, but at least from their point of view, you will get smarter as they get older

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #7 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM

Lol, great thread man. I am 39 and have two sons, 4 and 7 years of age.
I was never a intested n being the GQ type, only wanted clothing that was comfertable / but cool also. My dad was never home, mom had her hands full with 4 teanagers in HS. If I wanted something other than what my parents wanted I had to purchase it with my own money. I got a part time job when I was 16 and worked 40 hrs a week ontop of HS throughout HS.

You should take this same approach. The kids will get the bare neccesities, if the want more, make them get a job and use their own money. This will teach them the value of money and work ethic.

Last edited by IROCDave; 10-24-2009 at 10:23 PM.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah....I was a teenager once and those were some GREAT years back in the mid 80's. I can remember driving my parents nuts at times but to be honest with everyone I didn't put too much emphasis on what I wore. But, I grew up in East Texas, too.

My oldest is 15 and he worked on the base over the summer so he ended up buying half of his wardrobe for the year. I don't have a problem really with what it is that they are buying...it's mostly how much $.

With him in high school now and now girlfriends aren't just on the horizon but much closer (another heart attack). I guess it's important for him to wear the clothes that he does. I just never really put a lot into it. But, then again, I've worn Coast Guard blue for over 19 years now, too! Just funny having to deal with this...why couldn't I just be on a boat and not on shore duty! lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement, too. I appreciate it.

2010 IOM 2SS/RS M6
post #9 of 33 Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCDave View Post
Lol, great thread man. I am 39 and have two sons, 4 and 7 years of age.
I was never a intested n being the GQ type, only wanted clothing that was comfertable / but cool also. My dad was never home, mom had her hands full with 4 teanagers in HS. If I wanted something other than what my parents wanted I had to purchase it with my own money. I got a part time job when I was 16 and worked 40 hrs a week ontop of HS throughout HS.

You should take this same approach. The kids will get the bare neccesities, if the want more, make them get a job and use their own money. This will teach them the value of money and work ethic.
Amen. That's how i learned. I wanted alot of things in life and learned i won't be able to get them making $10 an hour. My kids will work through high school just like i did.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Mojo View Post

Yep, we're screwed as parents when it comes to crap like this.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page