Video card upgrade for gaming question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Video card upgrade for gaming question

I have a dell e510 with ati x300.
I just bought microsoft flight sim 2004 and I am still waiting for it to get here. Only problem is I think my video card is not going to work. I tried using it for the fsx version and it said my vidoe card was the problem.

What is needed to upgrade and what card can I use?

I have never done this type of upgrade before so I have know idea what I need. Also I would love to be able to display 2-4 screens, but I don't want to spend a fortune if thats what it takes to display more than one.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #2 of 25 Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 PM

If I found the right Dell e510 that is a fairly old P4 based system but it does have PCI-e x16. Looks like pretty much any PCI-e single slot card will work but no need to go overboard with the limits of the CPU. Something like the ATI Radeon HD 4830 is likely a good choice. Looks like newegg has them for under $100.

I'm pretty sure most every recent video card supports at least 2 monitors.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
As stated above you are going to be limited by the P4 cpu as far as what it can handle in throughput from/to the GPU. So no need to go overboard unless you are planning a system upgrade in the near future.

Since ATI was discussed already and is not my fav. I would go with an Nvidia card personally. For the P4 the max card you could use without limiting the new cards ability cuz of your P4, is the GTX260.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #4 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
As stated above you are going to be limited by the P4 cpu as far as what it can handle in throughput from/to the GPU. So no need to go overboard unless you are planning a system upgrade in the near future.

Since ATI was discussed already and is not my fav. I would go with an Nvidia card personally. For the P4 the max card you could use without limiting the new cards ability cuz of your P4, is the GTX260.
x2 for Nvidia.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
x2 for Nvidia.
Nvidia may leapfrog ATI with their next $600 card, but for now ATI is the champ. If you have $300 to spend, the Radeon HD 5850 is the best bang for your buck.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I've had both Nvidia and ATI..and by far I've had better luck with ATI. My first Nvidia card was a Geforce 2 MX and it was fine..but then I got my dad's old Geforce 3 TI 200 had SO many problems I went back to the 2. Since then I've had ATI and never had a problem. I upgraded my card a couple of months ago when my old one died (Ran it too hot in my old case that had crappy airflow) and WAS totally going to go Nvidia. Until I found out the ATI 4890 I bought totally beat the tar out of the Nvidia I was looking at..and was similar price.

Look at the recommended (not minimum) specs for the flight sim game and go from there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
I've had both Nvidia and ATI..and by far I've had better luck with ATI. My first Nvidia card was a Geforce 2 MX and it was fine..but then I got my dad's old Geforce 3 TI 200 had SO many problems I went back to the 2. Since then I've had ATI and never had a problem. I upgraded my card a couple of months ago when my old one died (Ran it too hot in my old case that had crappy airflow) and WAS totally going to go Nvidia. Until I found out the ATI 4890 I bought totally beat the tar out of the Nvidia I was looking at..and was similar price.

Look at the recommended (not minimum) specs for the flight sim game and go from there.
The 4800 series is a safe bet for most as you probably won't need a new power supply to hook it up.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
Nvidia may leapfrog ATI with their next $600 card, but for now ATI is the champ. If you have $300 to spend, the Radeon HD 5850 is the best bang for your buck.
I've got a pair of 5850's in Crossfire and they are awesome. I still wish Nvidia was ahead in cards since ATI always seem to have driver issues ranging from minor to very annoying.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
The 4800 series is a safe bet for most as you probably won't need a new power supply to hook it up.
I **** near needed a new power supply. I'm glad the ASUS I got came with plug adapters.
Required an 8 pin and a 6 pin. Took the 2 6 pins from the PSU to make it into an 8 pin..then 2 molex into a 6 pin.

EDIT: Oh yeah Brandon..when you get a card make sure you get one from a reputable manufacturer (ask here). Some have lifetime warranties..the asus one I have doesn't but Asus is a badass company so I'm not really concerned..plus it came with an awesome cooling setup.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 12-17-2009 at 01:18 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM

My husbands Nvidia 9800GT just failed yesterday........so we are doing video card shopping. I am not sure which way he is leaning, ATI or Nvidia.

It is easy to overpay for a card that has awesome stats, but is too much for your PC. The P4 will limit your performance.

2LT/RS Black with CGM stripes
Vin#10833

Mustangs tastes like chicken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page