I'm not used to this "Winter Weather" at all!!! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm not used to this "Winter Weather" at all!!!

so fun story...

i'm driving back to Tulsa from Houston yesterday after spending time with the family for the holidays... as most of you know the entire Midwest and northern states got a nice snow storm on Christmas Eve... for all of you dreaming of a white christmas, you got it! (sorry for you southerners who get snow once every 10 years... it didn't happen this time!)

anyways... i'm from Houston, i recently moved to Tulsa, and have never experienced a blizzard... i wasn't even here for it, i am just experiencing the after affects.

as i was driving back, i begun seeing some snow on the side of the road once i passed through Dallas... by the time i got into mid-Oklahoma i begun to see more and more snow... by the time i got into Tulsa it was completely frozen!!! i was driving my Camaro so i was being extra cautious since the thing has summer only tires and cost me a pretty shiny penny! the main roads weren't bad, they did a pretty good job at salting & plowing the ice/snow off of them.

i pull into my apartment complex which did not get plowed, but had about 2-3 inches of ice packed onto the pavement from all the cars driving through. i park my camaro in the least icy/snowy spot i can find and proceed to take my 98 dakota out of my garage so i can put the car in there.

the **** truck doesn't start b/c its been sitting for a week and its about 18 degrees out so the battery was completely drained. so what do i do, i try and push the 6000 pound brick out to deal with it later so i can put the car in the garage and go warm my toes inside... no it wasn't that simple!

the **** truck gets stuck in a tiny ice rut as i'm pushing and will not budge... i'm a pretty big guy i was a linemen in HS & college, i work out everyday, i leg press 1100 lbs easy and i could not for the life of me push my truck over this 2 inch rut!

so my truck is stuck in the middle of the parking lot, and the nice Tulsonians drive passed not offering to help. finally someone stops with a jeep and offers to help me push... nope didn't go anywhere, we kept slipping and falling in the ice. i ask him if he could give me a jump, b/c if i could get the thing started i could move it out of the way. first try and the old wagon started right up.

problem solved! not!

as i'm going to drive my camaro into the garage, i get stuck on the same ice patch the truck did... literally a foot from the door! i try to gun it, but the T/C and summer tires just don't like the ice! i try with T/C off and even put it in Competitive Mode and nothing was working. i tried low gear & low rpms and every combo possible and nothing was working, and even tried pushing it in but the ice was way too slippery to do it myself! i spent 20 minutes trying to get the **** thing in thinking it would be easier than the truck, but nope, too **** slippery.

so as several people drove by not offering to help, another guy in a jeep stops and offers to help. and finally as he's pushing and i'm spinning the tires, the car moves and i get it in the garage safe and sound!

it was freezing balls outside and i was sweating my ass off with no jacket on!

so that's the end of my fun story... the truck started right up this morning as i headed off to work... i let it warm up for about 10 minutes and that helped to melt the ice underneath that i woulda probably got stuck on if i wasn't patient!

oh and did i mention i busted my ass at least a dozen times during this whole charade?

moral of the story... if your driving on ice, don't slow down unless its an emergency or you will get stuck in a rut!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #2 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah..ice is no fun.
We got several inches last winter...right when I was learning how to drive a stick.
I must say this..sticks seem to be much easier to drive on ice. Just slowly let the clutch out until it starts grabbing and the car will normally move.

It was weird driving to work (when I had a job) and I saw a minivan that tried to take a left hand turn out of an apartment complex and ended up going almost straight across the road and into a wall.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Funny story, I guess the only okies who are really OK are driving Jeeps.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
post #4 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam21 View Post
Funny story, I guess the only okies who are really OK are driving Jeeps.
haha yea!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just glad to hear that there wasn't any carnage involving the Camaro. Yes driving in snow and ice really really sucks. I don't worry so much about how I drive in it, I'm actually pretty good at it. It's the other flying metal lumps out there on the road that worry me more than anything. Glad to hear all is well though

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #6 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

As long as it all went well, its a great story. I hear a 100 of them every year up here since snow is just an everyday thing in winter.. And Jeeps are the way to go for sure.. I dont even think about taking my camaros out if there is even one flake out there.. There just not meant for snow.. U can do it but why if you dont have too..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #7 of 24 Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 AM

now..just think!..if you had bought it with the 18" all season tires,you wouldn't be in that predicament!..just kiddin'..must have been a real ball buster!

j.t.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
they did a pretty good job at salting & plowing the ice/snow off of them.
Oh the inhumanity of it!! Tell us you did wash it off at the earliest possible moment!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #9 of 24 Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Oh the inhumanity of it!! Tell us you did wash it off at the earliest possible moment!
i don't think it got on my car much... i only drove through the streets for a couple of miles, and i don't have a hose at my apartment. however i did take a rag and wipe down the rockers and the rear... i went out there this morning to feel the sides, it didn't feel salty or sandy but didn't feel slick like normal.

anybody have a better suggestion on how to wash salt/sand off without using a hose?

yesterday i saw a truck with what appeared to be PAM sprayed all over the sides, but that could just be my imagination!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #10 of 24 Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Do they even make snow tires for a rim that fits on our rides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page