Anyone ever take online college courses? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Anyone ever take online college courses?

I'm trying to register for classes, seeing they start thursday and I was wondering what these online courses were all about. I was interested in them mainly because I am going to have a very busy year working to help my family out a lot more than before and my idea is I could work around these online classes and do them when I can. I know education is important and all, but Family is all I really have right now so they come first. lol,

BTW: All my classes/books are paid for so I can take as much as I have too.
post #2 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I took an online class very hard to do because you are in charge and at my College you still had to physically go there twice for the midterm and final. My professor had work due every other monday and then there was other stuff you had to look at the syllabus to know about. I prefer going to an actual classroom still instead of taking another online class. it is whatever works for you tho

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

I've have taken a few courses online. Some are hard while some are a breeze to complete. If you have no idea about the subject you may struggle. Some instructors allow you to work at your own speed and you can complete the course quickly. I just depends on the instructor and institution rules.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Cool

I got my 1st Bachelor's & 1st Master's degree from an online college - Touro University International (TUI). The degrees were in Health Care Management.
I ended up with a 3.7 GPA

I just finished my 2d Master's degree in July - it was in Environmental Health & I got by attending all classes on the campus of East Carolina University (ECU in Greenville, NC). I ended up with a 3.62 GPA.

The main difference with online colleges is that you have more papers to write, but they're usually shorter than the papers at a campus-based college. At TUI, I had to do 1-2 papers per week, but each was only 2-4 pages long. At ECU, I had 1 paper every 10 days, but each was an average of 10-12 pages long. Each class, whether online or at campus required an end of semester exam be taken. For the online courses, the teacher would post a question at a certain day/time & we had 24 hours to answer it - the answer had to be in essay format.

Also, instead of meeting in a classroom, each class will have 1 or 2 days per week where all students in the class must be in a "chat room" on a certain day/time for 30-60 minutes. During the chat, the teacher will usually ask a question, then the students take turns answering the question & debating each other on their responses.

I did not think the actual level of difficulty was any different between the 2 colleges. The papers at ECU were not harder to write, just longer.

My wife did her Health Care Administration degree online from Southern illinois University (SIU) & it was very comparable to my online degree.

While every college is different, I hope this helped!
post #5 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

I've looked into online courses but what I want to do requires in-class since most of it is hands-on stuff.
Though I guess I could take the crappy general education courses that I loathe oh so much online.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM

I did online college courses prior to me deploying. Wasn't half bad, deadlines for assignments is kinda hard to meet if you don't discipline yourself and devote a few hours a day to doing them.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

I had a hard time taking the time to sit down and do the work at home. I could always find something that needed to be done. It was very hard for me to stay as focused as you are in a classroom setting. Good luck. Everyone is different. I would start off easy with them this semester to see how you handle it.

JBA Cat Back Exhaust
Pfadt Adjustable Sport Sway Bars
Pfadt Drop Springs
Misc Appearance Changes

Other Car~93 SVT Lightning #260 w/408
post #8 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

My wife did it it wasnt bad

post #9 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM

The only drawback is that there is no teacher to explain the chapters. So you really have to read and manage your time.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

I'm taking an intro to engineering course online this semester. I am looking forward to seeing how it works out. The plus for me is that I can log in on my schedule, not a set time that may or may not work. If it goes well, I may do more online classes.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page