Who has a truck? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Post Who has a truck?

Just curious as to how many members have trucks

The reason I ask is with home shopping, I'm beginning to believe that having a pickup will be a huge asset with moving and doing usual household duties (especially outside work). I would lean more toward a full-size, but I see many compacts on the road as well. I was thinking a previous-generation Chevy; Extended cab, short bed, 1/2-ton with a 5.3 and 4wd.

So, for those that have trucks, what was your motivating factor, and why did you chose the type that you have? Now that you have one, do you feel as though you could not imagine living without a truck?

Feel free to picture-whore your truck, too

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 01-19-2010 at 02:56 PM.
post #2 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Supporter of common sense

I've had full size pickups as my DD since 1989.
Present truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71. Ext Cab, short bed. 5.3l, 3.73 gear.
Bought it as a gm exec truck, had 7K on it. Has 213K now. Great trucks.

I wanted something to tow the snowmobiles and wanted legroom. Back then FWD was the main offering and I didn't want a Fullsize car that looked like I was 50

It's got a few mods here and there, nothing hairy.

Pics

SS tailgate spoiler, chrome tailgate handle and body color bezel

Just treated the old girl to a new steel cowl hood 2 weeks ago
OEM hood had bad rust around the latch area and started poking through the front edge.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Not "my" truck per-say, it's a 1995 Silverado, but I grew up with it. My dad has had it since '96. And it's lasted this long. Went from being lowered the day he got it. Back to stock height 3 years ago. And about 2 years ago got a 2" lift and 33" tires. I've never heard of a problem w/ this truck. My dad swapped in a 383 that he built (because at that time we were towing a 22' toy hauler every other weekend... and really who doesn't want more power?) Most reliable truck I've ever heard of. Though, many trucks of this year aren't kept in quite the same condition. All Silverados are good, you just have to find one that was taken care of.

post #4 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I use this truck for everything. It pulls a car trailer where ever needed. Trips to junkyards to haul home parts. 3 weeks ago the washing machine broke. We went to a local store found one in stock and came home with it. No waiting all day for home delivery. What you can't see in this picture is probably one of the best things you could buy for a truck.http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/?gcli...FRUhDQoddgpVhQ I'm more than satisfied with the bakflip. It keeps stuff inside dry. Truck bed is like a bid trunk that can easily be set to put large items in bed in seconds.Tailgate lock keeps cover locked since the gate has to open to unlatch cover.With the GM cargo mgmt system I only have the bed divider that I have set about 1-2 feet from front. Inside that area all of my trailering/drag racing gear stays in place.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #5 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Needs a new door lock mechanism and to GTFO of my life.. but it's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4770  

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #6 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

That's an SUV <_<

>_>

post #7 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

I have 2 suv's and one pick up.. It all depends on what you need them for.. I am a big hunting and fishing guy so I like the mud in a big way so I have my 97 Jeep Cherokee that has a small lift and works great in most things. But, its small in size and needed more room and was going to trade in the Jeep in 05 when I bought my Yukon but they offered me nothing for it so I kept it. I needed the room for people and some towing and the 4wd for everything else.. So, Like I said it depends if you have a large family. 2 average kids might fit in a Jeep but not all your stuff too. A pickup is only good to carry stuff unless you go for the quad cab but like I said unless you do alot of large hauling it might go to waste. Hey if you got the room and the bank buy one of each.. Your insurance company will be happy. Good Luck.

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #8 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I just thought of another question that I added to my original post: Now that you have a truck, do you feel as though you couldn't imagine living without a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
I've had full size pickups as my DD since 1989.
Present truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71. Ext Cab, short bed. 5.3l, 3.73 gear.
Bought it as a gm exec truck, had 7K on it. Has 213K now. Great trucks.
Joe, I remember you posting about this truck before. I believe you had taken it near my neck of the woods to a Carlisle event, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorcinLS1 View Post
What you can't see in this picture is probably one of the best things you could buy for a truck.http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/?gcli...FRUhDQoddgpVhQ
I was actually thinking about how I would probably want to get a cover, but didn't want one of the Extang vinyl covers, nor do I want a pappy cap. Something sturdy and easy to use, but not overly heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Needs a new door lock mechanism and to GTFO of my life.. but it's mine.
SUV = not a truck! I called my TrailBlazer a truck for a short time after I purchased it, and everyone gave me a hard time!

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 01-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
97 Silverado is the current mule. Trucks are one of those things that you buy cuz you need it and then it tends to sit around until you need it again. More so when you have 2 bikes, 2 cars and very little time....

I was using mine heavily to support my quad addiction and motorcycle trackday fixes. Now I pretty much use it for carrying large items only and the occasional commute to work to keep things running smoothly.

Here's an old pic, it looks a lot diff now:

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #10 of 113 Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

04 Dodge Ram (hemi). Wanted the Dakota, but the fiance at the time (now ex-wife) did not feel comfortable with her son in the back seat. Upgraded to the Ram (the Hemi was her idea). Got the quad cab, have added a snug-top hard tonneau. My decision was based upon the fact I was getting out of an SUV and thought I needed a truck. 6 years and 80K miles later, its paid for and hoping to do some mods (head and cam) once I get my camaro. The truck will still be my daily, and hoping its around for my 4 year old (if she wants it.)

Just make sure you buy something that gets decent milage for a truck. Mine only get 12-13 city, and that is going very easy on the throttle!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page