Experience with Gieco or Progessive? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Experience with Gieco or Progessive?

I'm with Allstate but have been quoted lower rates by Geico and Progressive. Anybody have good or bad experiences with them?

In particular, I have heard issues with Geico about covering accidents/issues that happened outside of the insureds home state or when traveling in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mvarley; 01-30-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

I had Progressive when I was in high school and had my IROC. My parents insurance wouldn't insure me on the car, so I went elsewhere. Progressive was the most affordable and also were very helpful when I had an accident.

I later switched to Nationwide, and most recently (about three years ago) switched to Erie.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I had Progressive when I was in high school and had my IROC. My parents insurance wouldn't insure me on the car, so I went elsewhere. Progressive was the most affordable and also were very helpful when I had an accident.

I later switched to Nationwide, and most recently (about three years ago) switched to Erie.
I've been with Progressive for many years now and I'll attest that they are very proactive in settling claims, and are quick in getting to the scene of an accident. That said, you they will stick it to you where it hurts (I'm talking about the wallet of course) as the number of claims or tickets goes up. I think the premium hike from claims stick with you longer than the tickets.

Anyway I think my premium is still a bit high considering I've been ticket free for 5 years and have maybe 1 claim filed in the last 3 years. All the big insurance companies will give switchers competitive rates, but you have to wait and see how they treat you when you get in an accident.

It's weird how as you get older the number of moving violations and accidents approaches zero. I guess at some point, around age 65 or so it starts going back up.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM

try esurance.com

great customer service, fast checks when you have a claim, best deal i found,, i even had my s-10 (with only comp/liability ins.) get some hail damage, and for a 10yr old vehicle they paid for a complete paint job and never raised my rates because it was an act of nature.

415ci stroker,TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts,
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarley View Post
I'm with Allstate but have been quoted lower rates by Gieco and Progressive. Anybody have good or bad experiences with them?

In particular, I have heard issues with Gieco about covering accidents/issues that happened outside of the insureds home state or when traveling in Canada.
Thanks,
Mike
I have zero issues with Geico. Fortunately I haven't had an accident since I've been with them (4 years now) so I can't really tell you about their "payouts" with the exception of replacing the windshield in my GTO which was easy, quick, and painless- not to mention free.

As far as Canada goes, they are the first company I've ever been with that offers you "Canadian" insurance cards in addition to the normal ones if you plan on being in Canada. Being in Buffalo, I obviously now have both cards in my car(s).

I can't complain about any dealings I've had with them including getting the insurance cards for the Camaro before it was even listed in their system (last April). They just used the MSRP to write the policy and then adjusted it once the Camaro actually appeared in their system. Even their "guess" was pretty good as the yearly policy ended up being $130 less in the end.

RJT 2SS/RS roared to life March 16th, 2009
VIN 2G1FT1EW6A9100074
ARRIVED 5/13 day 58 Safely at home-> 5/19

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." - Barry Goldwater
post #6 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
I Have travelers..... Cheapest one i found by far and they are great

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have Statefarm. I have had a bad expirence with Gieco when a lady pulled out in front of me and i hit her. She had Gieco they didnt want to settle up or get me a rental because her daugther that wasnt even at the wreck site despitued the wreck. But Statefarm took care of that by slapping a law suit against Gieco and had a rental in a matter of a few hours and my car was fixed no questions.

P.S. sometimes saving money really isnt saving money

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a bit of a pariah in the Ins. world or so I've heard.

Stems from 2 accidents in the course of 6 months (one black ice nom nom nom guard rail, one rush hour my fault). We were with Encompass for a good while. Then come to find out the house repairs we've been doing and my brother's lack of driving skills 'forced' them to drop us because 'we were costing them money'

I think they just got tired of having to pay for crap that went awry in our house that landed under insurance claims.

So now we're with Farmers and though they're willing to insure us it's at a cost;

They don't drop the rates at 25; they do it at 29. And my current rate for insurance on my truck (explorer with 108K miles) by myself is 435/mo full coverage with rental; that's 5K+ for 1yr insurance. Now we decided to just scrap the separate plans and put them on an umbrella plan so now it's just 665/6mos.

Out of the blue I happened to ask them how much a 2010 SS would cost me; they said "...just keep your truck or take the bus; you don't want to hear."

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

i have Progressive on my daily drivers... and i have also been with them since i was a teenager with my first Camaro (1998). i have had 1 comp claim when my Camaro was broken into for my stereo, 2 accident claims, and a few speeding tickets but they have always been good to me. they come out to take care of claims quick, give you money quick, and they haven't jacked me on rates too bad as they were the cheapest when i shop around every few years (LA insurance rates are bad in general tho).

i pay $400 every 6 months on our 95 formula with full coverage and $200 every 6 months on the 92 roadmaster with liability only (cuz i totalled it back in 07). i give Progressive a

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

My girlfriend got hit by a Geico driver and they tried taking advantage of her. I will never look into ever getting them.

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page