Curious: How does one get into the racing/High-po industry? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Curious: How does one get into the racing/High-po industry?

While studying for my A&P license tests today I had an off hand question pop into my head that well.. stumped me.

I know all those guys that go to UTI and whatnot end up in this industry but never with a bachelors degree and never seem to really go anywhere without starting their own businesses. However, I have heard stories of those trained in the Aviation industry (military and civil) that have gone on to do this same line of work or are actually in demand. I mean is this a myth or what?

Now this question is for those of you that know or do work in the High-Po car/marine industry.

What do they/you look for in a 'mechanic/technician'. I say this because with the current state of the Aviation industry I've been looking/researching elsewhere for applications to what skills/skill sets I've picked up in my years in college. I know there are probably very few Aviation people here but there ARE a bunch of gear heads that as I said before, work or know who works in the racing industry.

It was an interesting idea since many of the same work that goes on as I've seen isn't all to dissimilar to that which I did on a daily basis in school. Overhaul wasn't a Briggs and Stratton, but rather an O-200.

I mean in today's day and age many have to rethink how to apply their skill sets, and here I am on the cusp of entering the world and now pondering that same question.

I mean it's not that I don't want to work on planes.. just that it seems that I need to broaden my horizons.. think outside the box.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

no idea how you'd get in, but i'd assume most of the skill sets would carry over.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

If you are going to a 4 year college, get involved in Formula SAE. It will give you the most hands on approach to learning design, fabrication, manufacturing, and working on a true team. Anyone one can do Formula. I'm studying construction management and have learned how to apply actual class room topics to building a car. And if I can build a car, how much harder is it going to be to work on a building? AAE, AE, ME, EE, EET, MET, ME, blah blah blah. If you are going to college, this is the best way to learn a ton about alot of mechanical things.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I actually hold a bs in aviation with a concentration on aviation maintenance.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 PM

I can draw and would love to design parts for the Camaro..but thats a pipe dream since I have no idea how to crack the biz.
I think a few guy got in the industry just by sheer skill.

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page