alt.whatsonyourmind.die.die.die - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

alt.whatsonyourmind.die.die.die

My homage to USENET.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
I'll bite. Before these sort of car forums became popular I spent a lot of time hanging out in newsgroups like alt.autos.camaro.firebird. As to the thread title, people who wanted to gripe about the existence of another newsgroup created a new one with the same name plus ".die.die.die" at the end and a silly charter explaining its purpose. A very recognizable one is:
alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die
With a charter that goes like this:
Quote:
The Earth is under attack.

The demon lord B'harne, servant of the malevolent alien High Magus of Lyra, has commenced his assault on the human race. Under the benevolent guise of the children's television host Barney the Dinosaur, B'harne seeks to destroy the minds of children and adults and bind them to his tyrranical will. Once he has made mindless slaves of humanity, B'harne will rule the Earth with an iron talon.

There are those who oppose B'harne. Drawn together by mysterious forces, mad scientists and sorcerors, warriors, scholars and surrealists have banded together into a fighting force capable of standing against B'harne's power and the power of his masters. With the mystic blade of the Barney-Slayer leading the way, these warriors fight a neverending battle against the forces of Evil and Stupidity.

They are the Jihad to Destroy Barney the Purple Dinosaur.
USENET was created in 1980 by students at Duke and became very popular during the late 80s and on through the 90s. It pretty much fell into obscurity after Google acquired DejaNews, the only complete archive of USENET (including posts where Linus Torvalds was discussing his new OS project, for example). Google eventually removed the separate newsgroup search function in favor of rolling it into general Google content.

A lot of ISPs still host newsgroups (I know Knology does on the East coast), but Comcast dropped support for newsgroups around 2004.

Last edited by weland; 02-25-2010 at 03:26 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

interesting... way before my time!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

I remember BBS's where I'd log into local BBS's and play online DOS games against other locals. You could only play once a day for a couple of turns. My favorite was BRE -- Barren Realms Elite. There was another one where you were some sort of medieval rogue who battled all sorts of stuff while plundering for gold and gems. This was back in the early-mid 90's.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I remember BBS's where I'd log into local BBS's and play online DOS games against other locals. You could only play once a day for a couple of turns. My favorite was BRE -- Barren Realms Elite. There was another one where you were some sort of medieval rogue who battled all sorts of stuff while plundering for gold and gems. This was back in the early-mid 90's.
In the early 90s there were still software companies that would only distribute software patches on their BBS! The WWW sure changed that in a hurry.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

I got lots of MUDD on my face

There is a monster in front of you. What do you want to do:

1 Attack
2 Run
3 Pray

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #8 of 12 Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_SS View Post
I got lots of MUDD on my face

There is a monster in front of you. What do you want to do:

1 Attack
2 Run
3 Pray
That looks even more primitive than Zork! I played a few DikuMUDs in the early 90s. At one time there could be over 150 people from around the world on one server slaying rats, orcs, dragons, other players, what have you. These sorts of games flunked many a student out of college back in the day. One of the original authors of the source code had an awesome name, Sebastian Hammer.

Believe it or not these MUDs turned me off to games like WOW before they became popular. I already knew how addictive they could be.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Hey I used to be the SYSOP for the Red Dragon BBS at Edwards CA back in 19....ummm 94 it was cutting edge then, but ancient now... Ran it off a wildcat BBS and OS/2 platform.

Black 2SS/RS 6M ordered 5-23-09 : 3000 9-4-09: TPW-9-28-09 : VIN# 10-6-09 : Received 10-28-09 Perma Grin since
post #10 of 12 Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

umm, i used to have a regular nintendo, when i was like 5! i still got my N64, my fiance likes mario-kart and won't give it up!

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page