1999 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The introduction to a paper i'm working on.. i've read about 100 pages of this book so far, and it really is interesting to look at stuff from just 10 years ago, especially considering i'm only 20 and i can only vaguely remember the pager boom, or when faxes were huge.. just scrolling through the forums gave me a bit of a brainwave though, not looking for critique, just some food for thought really.

1999: before YouTube, text messaging, aim, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox Live, Wii, and the internet forum boom. This was the year the book Faster was written, and as the Author contemplates the advent of the Pager, Fax Machine, and the introduction of email, it’s almost comical in comparison to the technology of today. Now a user can select a video of a song on YouTube, text their sister 3000 miles away, and play Forza Motorsport 3 on an Xbox 360 on the next screen over without moving an inch. In contrast the book seems rather Neolithic and outmoded. Just 6 or 7 years ago, only the rich kids in High School had cell phones as freshman, now it’s uncommon to see a middle-school student without the ever-present staple of modern society in their hands texting or twittering to countless others. Yet the book makes very little mention of these devices that seem to have replaced just about everything that seemed advanced in 1999, and laptops—seem nonexistent. The book provides an interesting perspective of today’s society as the author analyzes the lightning pace at which society moved just 11 years ago.

post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Laptops seem non-existent? You must not be part of the gaming community. They're everywhere. I own 2 myself.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryDomini View Post
Laptops seem non-existent? You must not be part of the gaming community. They're everywhere. I own 2 myself.
i only use a laptop, but i was referring to the book from 99.. i know they existed, i've seen and used old laptops, but they're nothing on what we use now

post #4 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Eh, it's evolution...
post #5 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

The first laptop I used was in the early 90's. Mac..black and white screen..mouse pointer always had a massive trail even if you had mouse trails turned off.
Noone liked using those things, lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
1999: before YouTube, text messaging, aim, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox Live, Wii, and the internet forum boom. This was the year the book Faster was written, and as the Author contemplates the advent of the Pager, Fax Machine, and the introduction of email, it’s almost comical in comparison to the technology of today. Now a user can select a video of a song on YouTube, text their sister 3000 miles away, and play Forza Motorsport 3 on an Xbox 360 on the next screen over without moving an inch. In contrast the book seems rather Neolithic and outmoded. Just 6 or 7 years ago, only the rich kids in High School had cell phones as freshman, now it’s uncommon to see a middle-school student without the ever-present staple of modern society in their hands texting or twittering to countless others. Yet the book makes very little mention of these devices that seem to have replaced just about everything that seemed advanced in 1999, and laptops—seem nonexistent. The book provides an interesting perspective of today’s society as the author analyzes the lightning pace at which society moved just 11 years ago.
I don't mean to sound hypercritical, but I have to make a few qualifying observations... Facsimile machines were common office equipment at large businesses by the mid 80s. I was using e-mail in 1988 as a freshman in college and created my first web page in 1993 on the job. I think Yahoo was the only established search engine on the web in 1994. New search engines Altavista, then Webcrawler came along a little later, proving superior to Yahoo with their use of spiders to build their search indexes. In a few years all of these would be completely supplanted by Google.

In the business world laptops are still essential equipment. I wish I could do everything I needed to do with a smart-phone, but I need a laptop to get any real work done. In 1999 Windows 98 and Pentium IIIs were everywhere, and people were ordering books and CDs from Amazon.com, so while a lot has changed it wasn't exactly primitive times.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
I don't mean to sound hypercritical, but I have to make a few qualifying observations... Facsimile machines were common office equipment at large businesses by the mid 80s. I was using e-mail in 1988 as a freshman in college and created my first web page in 1993 on the job. I think Yahoo was the only established search engine on the web in 1994. New search engines Altavista, then Webcrawler came along a little later, proving superior to Yahoo with their use of spiders to build their search indexes. In a few years all of these would be completely supplanted by Google.

In the business world laptops are still essential equipment. I wish I could do everything I needed to do with a smart-phone, but I need a laptop to get any real work done. In 1999 Windows 98 and Pentium IIIs were everywhere, and people were ordering books and CDs from Amazon.com, so while a lot has changed it wasn't exactly primitive times.
well considering people used pagers and fax machines were commonplace.. email has evolved quite a bit to where you can actually send usable amounts of data in a reasonable amount of time.

-and i was only 10 in 99 i remember playing n64 like it was my job, and then ps2 came out a few years later.. what a difference

post #8 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedcorvette View Post
well considering people used pagers and fax machines were commonplace.. email has evolved quite a bit to where you can actually send usable amounts of data in a reasonable amount of time.

-and i was only 10 in 99 i remember playing n64 like it was my job, and then ps2 came out a few years later.. what a difference
N64 was out well before 99. I also had a cell phone, as did many people in HS in 99. Email was used a lot but most people, and the Internet was well established by 1999, too.

Honestly, in 10 years I think the only things that have made a significant change would be texting, social networking websites, mp3 players and smart phones. Sure, there are other gadgets (flat screens, typical computer evolution, etc), but I really can't think of anything that has been that significant over the past decade besides 9/11. I think it's more that you were only 10 and not aware of the world around you.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 05-02-2010 at 08:32 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
N64 was out well before 99. I also had a cell phone, as did many people in HS in 99. Email was used a lot but most people, and the Internet was well established by 1999, too.

Honestly, in 10 years I think the only things that have made a significant change would be texting, social networking websites, mp3 players and smart phones. Sure, there are other gadgets (flat screens, typical computer evolution, etc), but I really can't think of anything that has been that significant over the past decade besides 9/11. I think it's more that you were only 10 and not aware of the world around you.
Demonspeed makes a great point. I was just thinking if you want to talk about technology that has really come a long way since 1999, cell phones would definitely be up there near the top. Honestly back in 1999, I did not think cell phones would be used the way they are now.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post

yes, but the whole PDA craze? Those ended pretty quickly with smarphones, and yes n64 was out before that, but there wasn't any significant change there until the PS2, which didn't hit the market until 2000, and they were so expensive (as were cell phones) that not many people had them. my dad used a pager until cellphones started becoming useful, and that wasn't until 2000 something, and what a dog that first phone was, terrible quality voice and it dropped service constantly.

The main difference i see in tech between 99 and now is how we use it, whereas many of of the technologies existed during that timeframe, they were not used by the masses until recently, and thus did not affect how the majority of people communicated with each other until later on. email went from something smart people used to communicate fairly brief messages to absolutely essential to communications, where enormous files can be transported without so much as a blink. Then there are forums.. think about the difference in information use, wikipedia helped change all that, and rather than worry about consulting a mechanic or nearby friend about car issues, people immediately turn to forums and databases. Yes, for your ego's sake you're not that old, the actual hardware probably did exist in 99.. but my paper gets into how our culture has changed since then, namely how my generation has changed since then, as mine has been endowed with constantly updating technology, but seems rather content to sit and play the xbox.. rather contrary to the level of productiveness the author seems to think we would have reached by now.

Last edited by thedcorvette; 05-02-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page