Michigan: how NOT to operate a DMV service.. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Michigan: how NOT to operate a DMV service..

Ok, short story is that I am going to pretty much trade outright my Exploder for a 1979 Z/28 350/350

BUT

There are times when I REALLY hate Michigan laws of title transfer. According to the SOS Site (quoted below)

- Must have no fault insurance for the STATE OF MICHIGAN.
- No out of state policies accepted

However, there may be a way around it in that same page, and if I read it right it concerns transit of said vehicle (which is exactly what I'd be doing)

So what say you my Camaro compadres? Are you getting the same thing out of the below quote?

There is no way in hell I'm opening a policy for a few hours just to get it across the line and retitled. My other option is waiting 3 weeks when my dad gets free time to travel with me to trailer the car home with his truck and a rented dolley/trailer.

The Drive is 80 miles, about 75 minutes.

Chances of running into Michigan SHP: Slim. They rarely patrol (read once every 6mos) the stretch I use on 23, but again assumptions can lead to costly mistakes..

Quote:
Once you have found the vehicle you want to buy, you will need to properly title, register and plate it. It is best if you and the seller can go to a Secretary of State office to complete the title transfer. If not, then before leaving with the vehicle make sure:

* The seller gives you the title. Making changes on a title, such as crossing out a name, invalidates it. Copies are also not acceptable. The seller must complete the seller's portion of the title, including the odometer disclosure statement, and sign it.
* There is no outstanding loan against the vehicle. A title cannot be transferred until the vehicle loan is fully paid. A representative from the bank or financial institution that administered the loan must either have signed the title or provided the owner with a lien termination statement.
* The odometer reading entered by the seller and vehicle identification number (VIN) on the title match the vehicle's odometer reading and VIN.

You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute.

If you do not complete the title transfer with the seller at a Secretary of State office, you have 15 days from the date of sale to transfer the title into your name. A use tax and title transfer fee will be due. For the registration, you will need:

* Your identification
* The vehicle title
* Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance. You must have Michigan no-fault insurance to register a vehicle in Michigan. Out-of-state policies will not be accepted.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #2 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Have it towed there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
You would have to have proof that it is a newly purchased vehicle... or it might apply to only new cars...

Its all in the interpretation

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #4 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Have it towed there.

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #5 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
You would have to have proof that it is a newly purchased vehicle... or it might apply to only new cars...

Its all in the interpretation
Here's the site.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5972--,00.html

Also found this: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...765--F,00.html

Quote:
If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?

Answer:

Yes, but only if you drive the vehicle directly to the first place of storage (usually your home) within three days of the sale. You must have the properly assigned title with you. Check with your insurance company to be sure you are covered.

Do not use the seller's license plate on the vehicle while driving it home. The seller should keep the license plate.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

post #6 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Well it seems like you can drive it home as long as its the trip on the way home from where you bought it..... If you do drive it home make sure you have the paperwork and print out what the site said just in case you do get pulled over. That way you can say I just bought the car I am on my way home here are the papers and if they say anything about it just show them what you printed out on their government website

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #7 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
Well it seems like you can drive it home as long as its the trip on the way home from where you bought it..... If you do drive it home make sure you have the paperwork and print out what the site said just in case you do get pulled over. That way you can say I just bought the car I am on my way home here are the papers and if they say anything about it just show them what you printed out on their government website
Yeah, looks like it. Also looks like the insurance thing can overlap state lines over just transferring it at an SOS office as stated.

Hmm, might be happening sooner than I thought..

post #8 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Maybe call me crazy but I'd call my insurance company and tell them I'm buying a car and give them the VIN number and such, go buy the car, slap one of my other car's license plates and drive it straight to my local license branch to transfer title and either transfer plates or buy new ones.

If the car is in good mechanical condition and isn't going to attract the police I'd just drive it home.
post #9 of 44 Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
Maybe call me crazy but I'd call my insurance company and tell them I'm buying a car and give them the VIN number and such, go buy the car, slap one of my other car's license plates and drive it straight to my local license branch to transfer title and either transfer plates or buy new ones.

If the car is in good mechanical condition and isn't going to attract the police I'd just drive it home.
Slapping plates on a car is just asking for trouble. Anyone know how Tim McVeigh got caught?

But yes, it didn't escape me to call and get the car insured in Ohio first.

post #10 of 44 Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

I think that this "rule" is applying to Michigan residents. If you have proof of residency in Ohio, then they will probably issue a temporary plate to get you home.

Another question is that are you sure the car is going to make it 75 miles?

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page