*Whew* I looked fast, good thing I wasn't in Ohio - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

*Whew* I looked fast, good thing I wasn't in Ohio

@ people who live in Ohio now

"The court says an officer's visual estimate will work as long as the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in finding speeders"

Lets hope a Certain Yellow Camaro SS and a Certain IOM 2LT Camaro like to drive SLOOOOOOOW

June 3, 2010
Police can give speeding tickets if they 'think' car is going too fast
Posted: 06:00 PM ET
FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In Ohio, if a cop says it looked like you were speeding, he can write you a ticket - no proof needed. Makes things so much easier for law enforcement if they don't have to be bothered with the burden of proof. True story.

The state's supreme court ruled five-to-one that independent verification of a driver's speed isn't necessary... things like laser guns or radar or actually clocking how fast you're going. The court says an officer's visual estimate will work as long as the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in finding speeders.

Supporters say that officers undergo extensive training where they have to visually estimate the speed of vehicles within one or two miles per hour of the actual speed.

Nonetheless, law enforcement officials insist they won't be getting rid of their speed guns; and that it's rare for officers to give tickets based solely on their observations. But the state's highest court says if they want to, it's quite all right.

The case stemmed from the appeal of a traffic ticket issued near Akron, Ohio in 2008.

In that case, a police officer ticketed a driver because he said it looked like the driver was going too fast.

Without any technical assistance, the cop determined that the motorist was going 70 miles-per-hour when the speed limit was 60. The driver says the court's decision "stinks." The driver is right.

Here's my question to you: What else will police be able to do without proof if they can now give speeding tickets if they simply "think" a car is going too fast?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Steve in Bedford, Texas writes:
Dear Jack, It sounds like speed traps throughout the Buckeye State will be wallowing in more ill-gotten cash than a Wall Street bank! More practically (and less sarcastically), this ruling will erode the sort of community trust law enforcement needs to do its job correctly, and I hope the Ohio legislature will reverse this mistake during its next session.

Ex cop writes:
I was trained by a highly regarded, 10-month law enforcement academy. The "extensive" speed estimate training was limited to about two hours of guessing the speeds of cars driving by. This is an inappropriate decision by the courts. Even police must be kept honest and "thinking" or "guessing" a car is going too fast does not cut it.

M. writes:
I went to training to stay out of Ohio. So far it's working!

Nik in Austin, Texas writes:
Jack, Don't act so surprised. Law enforcement officials have been overstepping their authority for decades and the court system always supports them.

Missy writes:
As long as people still have the right to fight the ticket in court, it shouldn't matter. Without proof, I can't imagine these tickets will hold up in court.

Peer writes:
Nothing new. I once got a ticket because the cop could "hear" my motorcycle was speeding. Very impressive.

John writes:
Did you see the blown call in Detroit's almost perfect game yesterday? Yes, even highly-trained professionals get it wrong.

Anton writes:
That's what you get for living in Ohio.

Tim writes:
Might as well just skip sobriety tests, too. If you appear to be drunk in the eyes of the law, you are drunk (so long as the officer has been well-trained in identifying drunk people). What could possibly go wrong?

Filed under: Law Enforcement
post #2 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Another reason to never go to Ohio. I'll add it to my several page long list.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
"I THINK you were driving intoxicated....."

See where this is leading? Punching in OHIO as an AVOID state in the GPS.....

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #4 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

WTF? That is all together retarded.
I don't see how this is constitutional at all, should be over-turned.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

I remember reading in the news a few years ago that there was some place (I think in California) where the cops could have your vehicle towed if they even THOUGHT you were going to speed with it. A 20-something girl had her older Corvette towed because of that...even though it was legally parked.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneSS/RS View Post
WTF? I don't see how this is constitutional at all.
I say this on a Daily basis kind of like freedom of speech lol I scream BS lol
post #7 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Revanue agents have now replaced our police force......
post #8 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
That is whack they are smoking too much crack up there.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM

How do you think they proscuted speeders before radar/laser? Some of you have absolutuly no clue when dealing with a trained officers visual perception.

Police in most states go thru training to visually perceive a vehicles speed. And most traffic officers can get within a 2 - 3 mph window..........OH yes, thats **** true.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

I swear to God, I would move out of state if I was subjected to that fascist crap. I love the Kettering area too so that news is disappointing.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page