Chevy 350 rebuild - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Chevy 350 rebuild

The engine is from a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu station wagon from my best friend. He has owned it for many years and is of very special value to him as well as me. We're overhauling it bec. due to a broken harmonic balancer bolt the front of the crankshaft was ruined. This is my first engine overhaul. Hope it turns out good, as the next one will be my Mustang's 302.

I will update this thread as we progress, so stay tuned!

That's how the block came from the machine shop after being honed and before we cleaned it. With the first burst of air, it made a huge rust cloud from the water pockets lol!

That's the stock 19XX camaro bumpstick.

After we cleaned it, and with a light coat of motor oil on the bores to keep them from rusting.

It already had these goodies in it. Edelbrock performer intake, .40 flat top pistons, Moroso tall valve covers, polished factory radiator fan, Mr. Gasket chrome oil pan & timing chain cover, Accel dizzy cap & rotor

Painted motor mount plates & stock pulleys, rebuilt starter & alternator, edelbrock carb and some mid lenght headers from a brand I don't remember lol

Pics of the new toys. Almost all of the external bolts will be stainless steel.

Crank installed & oiled

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Love the chevy orange.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

It's red actually, but on that last pic it looks like orange. The flywheel has a little of chevy orange though lol.
post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

This engine belonged to a 73 Elky that was parted out, then it ended on a 80 Malibu coupe for some time. Then that car was bought by my friend and parted out, to replace the tired 305 on his wagon. It was not rebuilt at that time, just disassembled to the short block to see how things were. Lucky for us we did! The heads had some cracks on them, so the 305's replaced them. It had the stock 2bbl carb and it pulled quite strong in the low end, but was lacking at higher rpms. The carb died and it was tossed for recycling with the iron 2bbl intake and replaced with the edelbrock manifold and the 650 carb and it improved a lot.

We were talking about getting some junkyard vortec heads and a new intake if he's not satisfied with it after the rebuild. They're the best flowing factory heads for the gen I chevy small block. I just need to know which vehicles and model years I can find them on, along with the work they need to make them work in this application.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 06:44 PM

What cam are you running?

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
What cam are you running?
Edelbrock performer cam kit w matching springs.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Update!

We managed to do a little bit today, contrary of what we planned, due to this:

The harmonic balancer bolt that normally it uses wouldn{t fit, since the rebuilt crank we got had the thread replaced with an M10 x 1.0 instead of the original thread, and it was a PITA to find the proper bold. Half a day later, we found one. We also found out that one of the main caps was reversed. No wonder the crank was hard to turn

block with a fresh coat of bright red paint and the bronze water seals polished. Yes, my fried has an obsession with small details.

Pistons in place

We finished pretty late due to the ******* bolt. My friend will torque the rod bolts tomorrow. Next on the agenda, the cam & related components to finish off the shortblock. And to locate an oil filter adapter, since it got lost @ the machine shop and since it's been a long time since it was there, we won't waste time going back to reclaim it
post #8 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

That's lookin pretty **** nice, keep on truckin.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #9 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Forgot this thread completely. The camshaft's in place, but couldn't go any further due to the fact the cam sprocket bolts went missing. Got an oil filter adapter from summit and a new fuel line with gauge for the carb. Other issue we found was the crankshaft key. This one has a two piece key way, and the previous one was one piece, and the ones supplied with the crank had just one of the short ones. Another part hunting trip. Luckily my friend found it. The cyl heads went to the machine shop for some new seals, resurfacing, valve and seat refinishing, cleaning and to deal with a damaged rocker arm stud. We hope they're finished this week so we can finish this motor and put the wagon on the road again If all goes well, the next one is my 5.0L.

Last edited by edumspeed; 09-02-2010 at 03:58 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Cylinder walls are lookin a little thin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page