Restoring Camaro's to Re-Sell - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Restoring Camaro's to Re-Sell

I have a quesiton. I have a bit of monet lying around and I want to get into flipping cars.

I want to do this with my dad and spend some time with him before I move out in about a year. I wanted to purchase a mid 90's Z28 put a small amount of money into it and resell it. My dad has been building cars his whole life and he has taught me a great deal as well so I would like to put the knowledge to work.

But my question is, in regards to steam cleaning the engine, I want to do that myself but I cant seem to find a steam cleaner that would have the power to clean the grease out of the engine as well as clean stains out of the carpet.

Any Suggestions?
post #2 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

what i do when i detail engines is, drive the cara bit so its kinda warm. not too hot, but warm. the cleaner i use is called orange power. i mix it in a bottle with about 3/4 water. spray it on the warm motor. let it sit for a few seconds before spraying off with the hose. then close the hood and let the steam dry the motor. then spray some engine dressing on it. and PRESTO! new motor look.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #3 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
what i do when i detail engines is, drive the cara bit so its kinda warm. not too hot, but warm. the cleaner i use is called orange power. i mix it in a bottle with about 3/4 water. spray it on the warm motor. let it sit for a few seconds before spraying off with the hose. then close the hood and let the steam dry the motor. then spray some engine dressing on it. and PRESTO! new motor look.
I have a similar process, but I just warmup the engine and use some STP Tire Foam. Spray it all over the engine, let it sit, and spray it with a high pressure hose. Does wonders.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

put some carb cleaner or degreaser all over the block and any grimey parts, spray with high pressure hose and shut the hood to let it steam, after the engine is cooled off, use some Adam's In and Out Spray on all the black rubber and plastic parts, and it will look brand new!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Let me rephrase my question.

I plan on doing (for example) 6 cars over the next year. Should I purchase a steam cleaner (that would work for both the engine and the carpet, if so what is a good steam cleaner) or sould I continue to pay the local shop $80 to detail the engine and interior
post #6 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
put some carb cleaner or degreaser all over the block and any grimey parts, spray with high pressure hose and shut the hood to let it steam, after the engine is cooled off, use some Adam's In and Out Spray on all the black rubber and plastic parts, and it will look brand new!
If you're not careful though, that carb cleaner will destroy plastic and rubber.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

you dont need a steam cleaner to clean carpet or the engine. do the process that we said above and for the carpet just use a carpet cleaner and scrub at it. i use a foam spray for my carpet and its amazing. blue coral has a carpet cleaner that it great too. no need to pay someone else to do it if YOU plan on restoring the car.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #8 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
If you're not careful though, that carb cleaner will destroy plastic and rubber.
well i've never had to do that drastic of an engine clean before... i typically only have to hose it down every 3 months or so.

i've got some degreaser from work called orange power as well. i used to use it to get oil stains out of my shirts when i worked in the oil patch, makes a great spot cleaner and works on many different things. from shirts to engines!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Supporter of common sense

I'd suggest a detailed cleaning for sure. There isn't much profit in restoring cars that new.

Carb cleaner/Engine degreaser is fine if used PROPERLY. The only time it is harmful if it is left on plastic/painted parts too long or in direct sunlight before a through rinsing

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Don't waste your money on a mid -90's Camaro...you won't make squat trying to flip it.

The mid - 80's IROC's are starting to gain some momentum, you'll make more selling one of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page