Patton Museum.. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Patton Museum..

So I just got back from going to what's left of the Patton Museum with a former coworker of mine (served 15 months in Iraq during the invasion as a Bradley gunner..funnily enough his name is also Bradley).
It was a sad sight.
For those that don't know (probably everyone) the armored unit that was stationed at Ft Knox is being moved to Ft. Benning, Georgia. And in doing so they're moving almost all of the historical armor(and wasting hundreds of millions of dollars) from the Patton Museum to there. The Patton Museum is shutting down completely Sept 7 and being replaced with a museum focusing only on Patton and his unit instead of Patton and armor in general. Though his death car is still there..which is pretty cool.
I was sad to see the yard outside where 75% of the tanks are gone. The M26 Pershing is gone..the last surviving T28 is gone....the Huey helicopter that was on a pole is gone.. The only things left outside was a M10 Wolverine, M7 Priest, a M4 Sherman Easy Eight, some other Patton-looking tank we couldn't remember what it was, a M113 APC, some 'nam-era self propelled artillery, and a towed howitzer. Inside pretty much everything is still there and I hope it stays that way. There's still a WW1 section (Renault tanks are funny btw..they have one there that was found in a junkyard in Afghanistan in 2005). There's a section that has a British WW1 tank that probably won't stay..it's funny..it's a mockup of a battlefield with a bunch of dummies dressed up as germans in a foxhole lobbing a grenade(which is suspended midair) at the tank..that has a side cannon pointed right at them. The M24 Chaffee, King Tiger, T-34-85 and several other vehicles(T72, M1 Abrams, M8 Greyhound, etc. etc.) are still there..for now. I hope the KT stays there..I was actually nervous walking around the thing because it was so bloody massive. There is an opening cut into the side with plexiglass over it so people can see inside..I wouldn't want to serve in one. The ammo stowage was horrendous..the ammo was lined up along the inside sides of the tank and were uncovered. Sure nothing could really penetrate it at the time..but it would SUCK to be the crew if something did come through.
Man..I should have brought a camera with me..then again I don't know if they were even allowed.

In short:
Screw you Georgia, I hope you enjoy all our cool tanks, you (words I can't say here).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 02:05 PM

The training units 2/81 and 1/81 plus the cav scout are still pretty far away from getting out of there. As of right now FT Knox is still the home of Armor. The thing is I know they are officially moving now but they were suppose to be moving when i went through echo 2/81 for training seven years ago. TANKER LEAD THE WAY!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Almost everything out on the lawn outside is gone..except for like 4 vehicles.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

There are only 2 KT's that I know for sure are in the US, the one at Ft. Knox and one that is a complete cutaway at Aberdeen Proving grounds in Maryland. I've read that the US had 3 at the end of the war in 45, but I haven't read or heard anything about what happened to the third KT we had.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah..the KT is massive.
I need to go back down there before the 7th and take pictures of what's left..because most of it won't be there when they redesign the place.

Quote:
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
So I just got back from going to what's left of the Patton Museum with a former coworker of mine (served 15 months in Iraq during the invasion as a Bradley gunner..funnily enough his name is also Bradley).
It was a sad sight.
For those that don't know (probably everyone) the armored unit that was stationed at Ft Knox is being moved to Ft. Benning, Georgia. And in doing so they're moving almost all of the historical armor(and wasting hundreds of millions of dollars) from the Patton Museum to there. The Patton Museum is shutting down completely Sept 7 and being replaced with a museum focusing only on Patton and his unit instead of Patton and armor in general. Though his death car is still there..which is pretty cool.
I was sad to see the yard outside where 75% of the tanks are gone. The M26 Pershing is gone..the last surviving T28 is gone....the Huey helicopter that was on a pole is gone.. The only things left outside was a M10 Wolverine, M7 Priest, a M4 Sherman Easy Eight, some other Patton-looking tank we couldn't remember what it was, a M113 APC, some 'nam-era self propelled artillery, and a towed howitzer. Inside pretty much everything is still there and I hope it stays that way. There's still a WW1 section (Renault tanks are funny btw..they have one there that was found in a junkyard in Afghanistan in 2005). There's a section that has a British WW1 tank that probably won't stay..it's funny..it's a mockup of a battlefield with a bunch of dummies dressed up as germans in a foxhole lobbing a grenade(which is suspended midair) at the tank..that has a side cannon pointed right at them. The M24 Chaffee, King Tiger, T-34-85 and several other vehicles(T72, M1 Abrams, M8 Greyhound, etc. etc.) are still there..for now. I hope the KT stays there..I was actually nervous walking around the thing because it was so bloody massive. There is an opening cut into the side with plexiglass over it so people can see inside..I wouldn't want to serve in one. The ammo stowage was horrendous..the ammo was lined up along the inside sides of the tank and were uncovered. Sure nothing could really penetrate it at the time..but it would SUCK to be the crew if something did come through.
Man..I should have brought a camera with me..then again I don't know if they were even allowed.

In short:
Screw you Georgia, I hope you enjoy all our cool tanks, you (words I can't say here).
Great! Now how are they going to keep Goldfinger from stealing all the gold?

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well..there's still going to be infantry there.

Quote:
post #8 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM

there is actually not to much infantry at Knox. The only way they would be there is to be outside there assigned job scope in a special duty. Fort Knox is the home of Armor and is now being turned into the largest adminstrative center for the US military
post #9 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yes, I know that Ft Knox is the home of Armor..but that Armor is getting moved to Georgia.
There may not be much infantry left over..but there will be some.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page