Terrible Thing Happened - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Terrible Thing Happened

I have an online DVD shop and here is the story:

5:58pm - went to the bank and withdrew $2000 cash to go buy some DVDs

6:00pm - drove right across the street to pick up my girlfriend from work. Put the money in an envelop and put it in my center counsel. Went into the mall to get my girlfriend

6:12pm - came back out, window was shattered and money was gone.

Question: Does anyone know what it will cost to replace the window?

also...is there any reason why my car alarm didnt go off?
post #2 of 35 Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Man, someone followed you from the bank and watched you leave your car. Go back to the bank tell them what happened and see if you can get a copy of the surveillance tape of who was in the bank at the time. This is classic. If they won't give it to you, they have to give the police a copy. File a report and they should be able to find the scum bag that did this.
Don't ever leave a large sum of money in your car after visiting the bank. Take it with you. You would be surprised to find out how often things like this happen.
Your alarm didn't go off because the robber didn't open your door, he just lifted your center console by reaching in from the outside. You need a motion detector alarm for that kind of burglary.
Guessing the window to be around $150. Just a guess. This is covered under the comprehensive part of your insurance at a lower deductible.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #3 of 35 Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Bashing my driver side window open, wont set the alarm off?

If not, whats the point of having an alarm?

Last edited by Zako51; 09-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
post #4 of 35 Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

The alarm is if someone opens your door by pulling up the lock and opening your door without the key fob or the key it's self. It also won't let the engine start. It helps your car from being stolen, not the content in your car. You are supposed to keep things out of sight (which you did). I don't think a broken window will set it off. You need a secondary alarm for motion for that.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #5 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Aye, you'd need a motion or perimeter sensor alarm for it to go off when something is smashed. The standard alarms on most cars these days are just for trunk/door opening.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

similar thing happened in my 98 Camaro. thieves broke window, climbed in and stole my radio, CD's... tried to get my sub and amp, but they couldn't. car alarm didn't go off until they opened the door to get out and by then they took off so quick nobody saw or heard anything that really sucks that such a thing happened to you. stupid thieves!

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #7 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
GM vehicles don't come with a content theft or shock sensor
post #8 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

its not a motion sensor alarm. its basically only for when the dorrs are opened. even if the alarm had gone off, what would that have done? by the time he smashed the window and got the money, he would have been out before anyone even noticed.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #9 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM

The unfortunate thing about an alarm, any alarm for that matter, is it only keeps honest people honest. When an alarm is going off in a parking lot people tend to just ignore it since car alarms "false" frequently. My '67 had a nice alarm in it and it went off all the time for various reasons. For instance, water in the hood sensor until they moved it to a better location. The shock sensor was susceptible to radio signals. The shock sensor was my favorite. Every time someone would drive by, like a police officer or a cab or whatever, they would transmit and set off the shock sensor. The fix? Give the shock sensor a tin foil hat.

But, I digress. Sorry to read about the damage done to your car. It's an unfortunate thing but one would think that leaving an envelope on your dash shouldn't draw much attention if any. Unless someone knew what was in that envelope. Contact the bank and ask them if they have security footage either in the building or the parking lot. Chances are they have the person responsible on tape.

The window should be easily replaced with comprehensive insurance claim. Take a few hours and you're good to go. I wish you luck.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants... and slide on the ice." Sidney Friedman

"A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come."

Last edited by Kalenn; 09-15-2010 at 10:10 AM.
post #10 of 35 Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Having the window replaced as I type...Filed a police report and they will be speaking to the bank in regards to getting the tape...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page