WTH is a Yank Tank ???????? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

WTH is a Yank Tank ????????

Ok Ive been to school I even work around a lot of OVer sea's individuals on a daily basis however I have never heard the TERM Yank Tank.
Driving home after work Yesterday I had a Guy who seemed to have a ( OVer the pond accent ) Refer to my Camaro at the Gas station as a Good looking Yank Tank.
He told me how he isnt much into American Muscle as he isnt from these parts however he just put a down payment down on a NEW Mustang and cant wait to get into it.

OF course me im a Nice guy and wished him luck with his New soon to be car even if im not a Fan of that car..... just who I am.
My favorite part of the whole conversation was when I started her up to leave he said " that Yank Tank sounds like it has some indigestion "

Hmmmmmmm if im not mistaking someone else recently told me My car had some of that

SCOTT SETTLEMIRE

As I told the guy " yeah I have been told that once before Maybe I need to watch her Diet "

Yank Tank if It wasnt a Off Friday here at work I would ask some of the guys from over the pond what it was or means however they are not here today so I figured I would ask and see if any of yall ever heard of this term ?

Starting to wonder if he thinks my car has some hidden Artillery I dont know about
post #2 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Heh, never heard it before. A few ideas pop into my mind, but nothing concrete.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryDomini View Post
Heh, never heard it before. A few ideas pop into my mind, but nothing concrete.
I dont know if its good or bad hell when he said Yank Tank I thought being over sea's he was speaking of a type of Tank which made me ask myself Hmmmm you talking about my car after I just complimented you ?
Then something else ( The sick side of me ) was like Step away from my car buddy and keep your hands where I can see them.

Oh well atleast im not the only one who doesnt know.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

As I understood it, the term Yank Tank is from the old days when a typically large American car (which were usually larger) was driven in European roads, i.e. Britain. Because their cars were usually much smaller they dubbed the behemoth American cars as Yank Tanks.

As far as the origin, I'm not sure.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
As I understood it, the term Yank Tank is from the old days when a typically large American car (which were usually larger) was driven in European roads, i.e. Britain. Because their cars were usually much smaller they dubbed the behemoth American cars as Yank Tanks.

Hmmmmmmmmmm picking on her because she has hips Huh ? I see

oh well

He is the one buying a car you will see at every light ....... while some are already at the next one

Thanks for the info I guess I could have googled it however I didnt think about that until now.

oh well its friday.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post

That's what I was guessing in my head as to what he meant. Like an old school caddy.

The only thing about saying Mustangs are at every light is that here in Jacksonville, NC....so are Camaros.

I pass so many 2010 Camaros every single day you'd think they were never discontinued. Seriously, if anyone lives within driving distance, or has a chance to pass through, go ahead. You'll see more 2010's than you can imagine.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I agree Mercury as you do see a lot of Camaro's I still see a Ton more of Mustangs at every light. I guess since the car came out first in 1965 you will never over come the love people have for Stangs.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen like 5 or 6 Camaros around here. No yellow ones other than ours. That's kinda weird in my mind as every time I go out in the garage I find one!

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I like to watch Wheeler Dealers on Discovery HD. They referred to the Corvette they were working on as a yank tank. From that I gathered that a large size V8 american car is a "yank tank"

From the show, I also never heard of the hammer being called a persueding device either.

That reminds me of a guy I know who is british, who took an american driving test here. He told me a couple things that were rather humourous.

1. He told the person at the DMV he was from the U.K. and they asked if they spoke english there. She asked if she could give him the test in English.

2. When he got to a question on the test of what should you do if driving down the road and your hood suddenly pops open, he answered it correctly for "american" He told me he said lady at the DMV, "I thought you gave me this test in English, not in American. My answer for that question would have been to bask in the sunshine"
post #10 of 10 Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 AM

It's probably short for Yankee Tank - meaning a typical larger and heavier "yankee" vehicle when compared to the typical vehicles driven across the pond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page