My new purchase.. Mosin Nagant content! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My new purchase.. Mosin Nagant content!

Picked this up for 100 bucks at Big5, in great shape, action feels good. Haven't gotten to shoot yet due to time/space constraints, but hoping for this Sunday!

yes, the bayonet is upside down, has a piece of metal that keeps it from locking in place around the front sight, I'll need to look into that. It was a PIA getting it on and off in 30 degree weather.

pics with me are for reference, I'm 6 foot tall, it truly is a long-rifle lol

post #2 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

It's a stiff spring, all of them are like that. They were designed to be put on and..well...not come off..if you get what I mean.
I wish I knew that back then..my dad talked me into taking a dremel to mine.....heh.

Make sure all the cosmoline is cleaned out (or at least as much as you can). If you want the action to be even smoother..put some lube on the rails the bolt rides on and a little in the various moving parts of the bolt.

The rifle itself is a tiny bit over 5ft long, the 12+ inch bayonet kicks it over 6 feet.
What year is yours? I'm going to guess earlier in the war because of all the brass..then again it could just be because different manufacturers.
I've owned mine for the past..7 years.

If ya need any help with anything on it/about it lemme know(where it was manufactured, etc.)..if I don't know the answer I got way too many resources to check to find it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

Also, never drill+tap it for a scope or do any other mindboggingly stupid things 'fuds' do to pieces of history..or I will end you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

it's in a storage locker now, so i've got no way of looking at the manufacturing stuff on it till sunday when we hopefully go shooting. And I'd like to figure out how to modify the bayonet to get it on and off easily, my buddy already scratched it up trying to get it on, so nbd if i have to bend it some. The gun barrel was scored some from the bayonet before we even put it on the first time, which adds some authenticity in my view, but other than that, no mods planned, i don't want a scope.

Also, it's a 1943 model, i had a choice between it and a 1940, but this one was cleaner inside, hopefully won't have issues with the bore.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Keep a dremel away from the bayonet, I learned that the hard way. It's a retainer spring issue.

There's a trick my father taught me on how to check the bore if you don't have a bore light/tiny mirror handy. Get a cleaning patch (or any clean, white thing) and stick it in the action a little bit below the chamber and then look down the barrel from the muzzle side while under a light source (or with a flashlight for better effect) so light reflects off the patch/whitething and you can see the condition of the bore.

Took me a LONG time to get even mildly comfortable doing that..even after making sure there was no way in hell it could fire (and that ammo was like 10 feet away from it)..so many years of conditioning of NEVEREVEREVEREVER looking down the barrel of a firearm.

Also, mine's 1942, made by Izhevsk.

Quote:
post #6 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is from 1939, I'll have to check who it was made by.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Went out to a local range and blasted away for a couple hours, I put 50-60 rds through the gun and my shoulder didn't start feeling it until the end.

Has a nice feel to it, nice firm recoil and easy trigger pull

I did NOT experience the cosmolene or whatever problem, my action felt great all the way through, shooting 15-20 rds per session. The only thing I noticed was the increased difficulty of raising the bolt after the trigger had been pulled, but that was simply fixed with more power!

The gun was lots of fun to shoot, and pretty accurate. My main limitation was an inability to see the green dot at 100 yds.. hit the target with 13/15 rds though on ironsights, and did decently at 50 yds. It's not as controllable as say a .22, but lots of fun, good buy in my opinion. Just need to figure out how to disassemble the bolt for next time so i can clean all the important bits out well.

65 yd target-first three shots anyways

50yds-amidst sighting in lol

the gun is from Izhevsk

post #8 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have no problem with my bolt, breaking it down or putting it back together...I really want a carbine now.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Well..it's a combat rifle..not a precision target rifle(referring not be able to see the sight).
Seriously though..lube up the bolt and rails a bit and it'll be much smoother.

If you want problems with your bolt..put some czech silvertip through it..it'll lock up tight every time, lol.

I almost got a carbine..back when 91/30s and carbines were the same price...but I wanted more accuracy, so I went rifle.

If you want a collector piece..hunt down a non-molested american-made Mosin Nagant.

I need to adjust the windage somehow, though using kentucky windage I can hit bottles of water at 100 yards reliably.

Quote:
post #10 of 17 Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 AM

Nice rifle. My dad has several of those. Rifle, carbine, .22 trainer, sniper with matching scope etc. Nice and loud, and pretty accurate to boot, although what's this "good action" you speak of. I thought you needed 2x4's to cycle them all .

This might be a repost to some but I think the mood fits,

Stuff you know if you have an AK, Stuff you know if you have an AR, Stuff you know if you have a Mosin Nagant

AK- It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
AR- You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.
Mosin- It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.

AK- You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
AR-You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
Mosin-You can hit the farm from two counties over.

AK- Cheap mags are fun to buy.
AR- Cheap mags melt.
Mosin- What’s a mag?

AK- Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.
AR- You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.
Mosin- What’s a safety?

AK- Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
AR- Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.
Mosin- You rifle has dog collars.

AK- Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
AR- Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
Mosin- Your bayonet is longer than your leg.

AK- You can put a .30″ hole through 12″ of oak, if you can hit it.
AR- You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds. Mosin-You can knock down everyone else’s target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.

AK- When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
AR- When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.
Mosin- When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.

AK- Recoil is manageable, even fun.
AR- What’s recoil?
Mosin- Recoil is often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.

AK- Your sight adjustment goes to “10″, and you’ve never bothered moving it.
AR- Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle. Mosin- Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you’ve actually tried it.

AK- Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation’s most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
AR- Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations’ most illiterate conscripts.
Mosin- Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.

AK- Your rifle won some revolutions.
AR- Your rifle won the Cold War.
Mosin- Your rifle won a pole vault event.

AK- You paid $350.
AR- You paid $900.
Mosin- You paid $59.95.

AK- You buy cheap ammo by the case.
AR- You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
Mosin- You dig your ammo out of a farmer’s field in Ukraine and it works just fine.

AK- You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
AR- You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
Mosin-You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.

AK- Service life, 50 years.
AR- Service life, 40 years.
Mosin- Service life, 100 years, and counting.

AK- It’s easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes. AR- You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.
Mosin- You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r.

AK- You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
AR- You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it’s under warranty!
Mosin-If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.

AK- You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards burst into flames.
AR- You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.
Mosin-You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2×4.

AK- After a long day the range you relax by watching “Red Dawn”.
AR- After a long day at the range you relax by watching “Blackhawk Down”. Mosin- After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.

AK- After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka. AR- After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and apple pie.
Mosin- After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.

AK- You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.
AR- Your rifle’s accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.
Mosin- Your rifle’s accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it’s buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.

AK- Your rifle’s finish is varnish and paint.
AR- Your rifle’s finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.
Mosin- Your rifle’s finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga’s toe nails.

AK- Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.
AR- Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner. Mosin- You’re not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.

AK- Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout “Wolverines!”
AR- Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.
Mosin- Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the the yard to sleep in.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page