* Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
* PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
* 256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
* 14 GB available hard disk space
* DVD-ROM drive
* 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required
* Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
* 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
These are the specs of the game he wants to buy. Any of those computers should be able to handle it at full load with everything set on high.
IF I wanted to play it better safe than sorry I'd upgrade the graphics card to an Nvidia http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121391
You get a free game and free shipping with that, while keeping you under $1000 budget. You won't need to upgrade your card for a LONG time.
I despise ATI. I used to be a huge supporter until 3 cards back to back failed on me. The longest lasting one was a year, 2 others didn't work out of the box. Nvidia has never done this to me.
The only other downside is you'd need to upgrade your Power supply unit to about 650WATTS. I don't know how computer savvy you are, upgraded these two parts isn't really hard, but if you've never done them you're going to want to print out some instructions before going in.