Cold day start up... How long do ya let it run? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Cold day start up... How long do ya let it run?

When it's 32 degrees or below, how long do you let the Camaro idle for before you drive off.

I'd say 30 seconds is enough.

2SS/RS CGM LS3 purchased 2/22/11 from CamaroScotty
post #2 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
When it's 32 degrees or below, how long do you let the Camaro idle for before you drive off.

Are you getting the remote start?

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

No, m6...

Yarg!

2SS/RS CGM LS3 purchased 2/22/11 from CamaroScotty
post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

not long, just go easy on it 'till your oil temp gets up to around 200

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 12-07-2010 at 06:55 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Remote start is great

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:

I like to see the coolant temp at 120-130 at least. This at least allows for some thermal expansion of engine parts before drive off. Then as Powerfreak said, take it easy on drive off.

Quote:
POWERFREAK not long, just go easy on it 'till your oil temp gets up to around 200
On my 25 mile (30min) drive to work on a cool/cold morning, I will be halfway or more there before the oil gets to that temp. Synthetics lubricate well at much wider temp ranges so I don't hesitate to start puttin' the hammer down as soon as it hits the first mark on the gauge....

BUT, if it is that cold, beware of the lack of traction!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM

I'll start mine, crank the front and rear defroster, then let my dogs out. By the time I put them back in the house, the car is usually defrosted and ready to roll.

2010 1LT RS, M6, Silver w/black stripes
post #8 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
On my 25 mile (30min) drive to work on a cool/cold morning, I will be halfway or more there before the oil gets to that temp. Synthetics lubricate well at much wider temp ranges so I don't hesitate to start puttin' the hammer down as soon as it hits the first mark on the gauge....

BUT, if it is that cold, beware of the lack of traction!
It's more of an issue of bearing clearances...they open up to the correct specs when the motor heats up. Maybe I'm just a paranoid nutcase w/ my car....but it is hard to drive it and not hammer it just a little. My car hibernates in a heated garage for most of the cold weather anyway.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Depends on how cold it is, how much frost I want to scrape off the windows, and how motivated I am to get to class in the morning.

If its half below my nuts just froze off, the class isn't attendance/quiz based, and the second Ice Age setteling in on my window, it'll probably run for 3/4's to an hour or so so that the windows thaw themselves and the car is nice and toasty by the time I get in it.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:

if you have a oil pressure gauge,then check for pressure "in the boat!"..in other words,make sure your needle is showing pressure which indicates the oil is circulating throughout the engine...takes about 10 seconds...after determining you have pressure in the system,you can drive off ...the sooner you get under way,the sooner your engine reaches operating temperature,and the LESS war and tear on the engine.idling an engine in ANY kind of weather is not good,because the engine takes longer to reach optimum temperature,and so consequently there is more wear on engine parts.the end result is the engine's durability characteristics are effected!..(engine wears out faster!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page