New TOY! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

New TOY!

so for those that aren't aware yet myself and a good friend just went half on an '88 suburban all electric everything works and there is only damage on the passenger side.(previous owner sideswiped a parking poll) the paint is in great shape but it needs a clay-bar and buff.... only things wrong with it so far. cruise control, horn, and the rear window had a switch that was going out but i fixed that today. now i need to fix the cruise and horn. the ac worked until i disconnected it yesterday (disconnected and removed the rear a/c) when i did that i knowingly undid the freon charge to the entire system. but i have other plans for the rear ac... um needless to say we have loads of plans for it

we started on it yesterday by removing the headliner and rear carpet and the previously mentioned a/c. we are going to put a bed-liner on the rear portion of the the truck starting behind the 2nd row seats.... well I really don't feel like typing any more so ill update you guys when there are updates...

here is a link to the photo bucket with all of the pix http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...88%20suburban/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #2 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

no one likes my new toy?:[

Quote:

post #3 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Um, I am one of very few that have attempted a 4x4 conversion. It is fairly easy, but I have alot of fabrication experience.

Just alot of grinding. You need to come over and take a look at it. I have the original 454 in mine. 350 is a great engine and you should have a tbi, so just keep it and leave it 2wd. Mine is a 3/4 T HD and was built from the factory with 1 ton parts.

I wouldn't do a 4wd conversion on a 1/2 T unless you were just going to run 35s or 37s, but then it is really not worth it.

What other questions do you have?

To get the AC working on the front, you will have to get AC lines from a Blazer or Chevy truck pre-1988.

Why did you remove the AC?

If you want to read the thread about mine it is here:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174188

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Oh yeah and try texas4x4.org, you might be able to pick up some parts.

I think I have some extra doors, that I would sell you cheap.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #5 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 PM

If you are getting rid of the panels behind 2nd row seats, then let me know. I need them for templates.

That is a SUPER clean real bumper. Very nice.

post #6 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

wow i just read 19 pages of your build... I'm in love.... holly cow.. ima have to call you over to Austin / Giddings when it comes time to do the chop, cut, reweld... haha i need me a good welder(ill let you hunt and fish on 4,000 acres and buy you some beer):].. never used one in my life and i know there are about 5 different kinds of welders but here are some modifications that we want to do LED upgrade for interior dome lights, LED strip lighting interior/exterior, LED upgrade taillights/turn signals/license plate lights, extra Back up lights,
HID Headlights, suspension/body lift(4"), 17"/18" rims, 32" tires, side step bar, custom front/rear bumpers, intake, intake manifold, cam(s), exhaust,
exhaust manifold, roll on bed-liner for the floor and maybe underside of the truck

reupholster front buckets,dash, rear seats, headliner

custom stuff... rear ac, removable K5 roof, high output alternator, 2nd battery(for stereo) 4WD conversion maybe a new 6spd tranny I'm sure there is going to be more in the future but for now thats the outline.. i have a few kool tricks that i wanna try and idk if they have been done before... thanks for the help and all of the future help hah! ima need it!

Quote:

post #7 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

i saw you were interested in rockwell parts http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=36308

Quote:

post #8 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

i posted a new thread over there introducing myself basically a cut and paste

http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.p...989#post356989

Quote:

post #9 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazjetman View Post
wow i just read 19 pages of your build... I'm in love.... holly cow.. ima have to call you over to Austin / Giddings when it comes time to do the chop, cut, reweld... haha i need me a good welder(ill let you hunt and fish on 4,000 acres and buy you some beer):].. never used one in my life and i know there are about 5 different kinds of welders but here are some modifications that we want to do LED upgrade for interior dome lights, LED strip lighting interior/exterior, LED upgrade taillights/turn signals/license plate lights, extra Back up lights,
HID Headlights, suspension/body lift(4"), 17"/18" rims, 32" tires, side step bar, custom front/rear bumpers, intake, intake manifold, cam(s), exhaust,
exhaust manifold, roll on bed-liner for the floor and maybe underside of the truck

reupholster front buckets,dash, rear seats, headliner

custom stuff... rear ac, removable K5 roof, high output alternator, 2nd battery(for stereo) 4WD conversion maybe a new 6spd tranny I'm sure there is going to be more in the future but for now thats the outline.. i have a few kool tricks that i wanna try and idk if they have been done before... thanks for the help and all of the future help hah! ima need it!
You can fit 32s as it sets now, but a body lift would help. I don't do more than 1" of body lift and only so my transfer case will lay flat.

I would put the K5 conversion off for awhile.

Try your hand at the 4wd conversion first.

post #10 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can fit 32s as it sets now, but a body lift would help. I don't do more than 1" of body lift and only so my transfer case will lay flat.

I would put the K5 conversion off for awhile.

Try your hand at the 4wd conversion first.
whats all is involved in the 4wd conversion? do i need to pull the motor? how much are body lifts? and the same for suspension lifts? any ones to avoid? any links? i've never had a truck... just 5 cars... all manual... now i have my first auto and truck at the same time... i can use a transfer case from a K5 and same for the front axle right? any mods i'm going to need for the swap? i know you say a lot of grinding but what exactly are we talking about? im going to guess i'm going to need a welder too? how much welding is going to need to be done? im sorry for so many question but i'm not even sure where to start...

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page