CNC Machining Pics - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

CNC Machining Pics

Attached are a few pics of a hub & center lug I made while I was part of FSAE. Notice the killer OZ Rims I did this on a Fryer MB-15 CNC Mill with an ANILAM M1400 Controller. If anyone else has made some neat stuff, post it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	7898   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	7899   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	7900   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	7901   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	7902  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	7903   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC 8.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7904  

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR

Last edited by 89RS; 12-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.
post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Pretty cool

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

sweet!

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #4 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Let's see it on the car.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Let's see it on the car.
Those are as good as you're going to get. Those are from last year, which was my last year on the team. I walked away after a semester of hearing that I made nothing but dog **** parts that weren't good for even a go cart. They told me that I had learned nothing but the wrong things from the shop supervisors, both of which had been doing CNC longer than I have been alive (which would lead me to believe the shop supers knew more than I did) and that I left way too many tool/chuck/vise marks on the parts. They, the team, also happened to not teach me a **** thing about CNC programming, I had to figure it all out on my own. I also was expected to know how the machine was supposed to work without ever having used it. The supers walked me through it for 3/4's of the semester and **** near did all the speeds & feeds for me. They, the team, also expected that everything I learned from making a simple hex nut on a manual mill would be the requisite knowledge for using a CNC machine.

You guys have the photos, judge for yourselves. Are they **** parts or not?

In the end, everything I made was used with the exception on me scrapping only one part: a diff upright that was machined on a .125"+ out of flat fixture plate that they swore up and down was plenty fine for machining on.

Here's a list of all the parts I made including the scrapped parts:

2x Steering linkage mounts (7075-T6 Aluminum)
3x Diff uprights (7075-T6 Aluminum)
4x Hubs (7075-T6 Aluminum)
4x Center Lugs (7075-T6 Aluminum)
4x Brake Rotors (80-55-06 Ductile Iron)
2x Differential Output Shafts (CNC Lathed & Milled out of Aermet 310)
2x Halfshafts (CNC Lathed & Milled out of 6AL-4V Titanium)
2x CV housings (7075-T6 Aluminum)
1x Sprocket Carrier (7075-T6 Aluminum)
1 set of rear wing molds out of 500lbs of Renshape
1 set of front wing molds out of 1000lbs of Renshape

I started machining the linkage mounts on January 7, 2010 and finished the last part of the front wing molds on April 3, 2010. I had others help me rough in materials and get fixture plates made, but the lions share of the machining was done by me. After taking a semester GPA of 2.43 with a crippling D- and C that lowered my once 3.5 GPA to just over 3, I told them to go **** themselves literally. I had squeezed what would have taken a professional machine shop a month or two to do into literally 16 Friday nights and day long Saturday marathon machining sessions.

I've never spoke to anyone on that team again. It was by far the worst experience in my life. Every team leader failed to meet their schedules or goals for the year and no one yelled at them, but everyone certainly could yell at me for not having a mirror finish on a part. And the final insult to injury was that they told me I'd get to drive the car after competition, but since my parts weren't good enough and I supposedly weighed too much, I wasn't ever going to drive the car. Which was 100% bull**** because one of the team leaders from my first year got to drive the car at comp and he was just as big as me.

Sorry for the rant. I enjoyed the machining aspect of FSAE, but the team absolutely sucked to be on.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM

What school did you do this Formula SAE series work for? I'm guessing Purdue or an IUPU campus.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
What school did you do this Formula SAE series work for? I'm guessing Purdue or an IUPU campus.
Purdue. The team had a reputation of not being too friendly to be on long before I got there. They have gotten so hung up on themselves and hostile towards people who willing offer help or advice that some of the professors are now seriously considering recommending cutting the program all together. I think that would be a shame, but they have proven time after time that they aren't the most grateful for what people in the University do for them, let alone what team members do for the team.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89RS View Post
Purdue. The team had a reputation of not being too friendly to be on long before I got there. They have gotten so hung up on themselves and hostile towards people who willing offer help or advice that some of the professors are now seriously considering recommending cutting the program all together. I think that would be a shame, but they have proven time after time that they aren't the most grateful for what people in the University do for them, let alone what team members do for the team.
Yeah we raced Purdue when we were doing the Solar cars, and most of them (teachers) were no it all idiots. We ran all over them and after they refused to go and hang out with us, we passed them up when they were broke down on the side of the interstate.

Purdidn't.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Yeah we raced Purdue when we were doing the Solar cars, and most of them (teachers) were no it all idiots. We ran all over them and after they refused to go and hang out with us, we passed them up when they were broke down on the side of the interstate.

Purdidn't.
I think that has a lot to do with the direction our last president and current one have for the University. They see Purdue becoming another Ivy League college and not another great A&M land grant college. It shows in the kinds of students coming to college here. Very few students are from families that traditionally did work in the farms and trades areas. Now, I would fall into the group of students who do come from the non-labor family background (both my parents are chemists), but I do see a failing in learning from only the book and not doing really in depth hands on labs or having honest to God tech electives such as machining, welding, basic auto repair and so on.

I understand that college is supposed to prepare us for the real world, but I'd feel more prepared if I got to tinker with something hands on and not have to risk anything more than my grade. I can repeat a class with very little to loose, not so much when its the decision between a credit card bill or food on the table.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page