If you like Hurst Camaros... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

If you like Hurst Camaros...

...you may find this interesting. This nugget is from nearly 43 years ago. If any of you know Jack "Doc" Watson, he was Hurst's "Shifty Doctor" fixing/rebuilding Hurst shifters for free in the pits at various events, he talked the same way back then almost exactly as he does today with the hem-ing and haw-ing. Car sounds meaner though than I recall seeing all stock ones, though. Imagine what they could do with some suspension upgrades and better tires! Ugh. Bias ply Polyglas GTs? Forget about it.

The Hurst Performance Company and GM were no strangers to aftermarket conversion cars, starting with the 1968 Hurst/Olds. With only 515 produced, it's one of the most rare and sought after Hurst vehicles.

Considering the technology back then, 13.2s out of a factory brontosaurus wasn't too shabby for a GM-marketed supercar that wouldn't bust your bank account. Still, a pricey option at $1161 on top of the $4200 base price. Remember, it's an Olds, and they weren't exactly noted for being street stormers. But they looked like a lot of fun back then!

Maybe one day the current Hurst/Camaros will be sought after 40 + years from now. Time will tell.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #2 of 3 Old 12-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Since most people walk up to a HEARSE and call it a hurst, is it ok for me to call a HURST OLDS a HEARSE OLDS?????? Than again there were Olds that were converted to HEARSES.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #3 of 3 Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

You may laugh, but in a local trader magazine several years ago, I saw an ad for a "69 Olds Hurst, $600"...I was all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

When I called, I then learned it was a HEARSE Olds... Oh well. I kept the ad and laminated it for posterity, but for the life of me, I think it ended up like the leg lamp in "A Christmas Story" (which is on for 22 more hours I think on TBS...) and I lost track of it.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page