Question for the computer savy! (PC back-up) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Question for the computer savy! (PC back-up)

I'm in the process of setting up a network drive on my home wi-fi. I have a netgear router which has a remote USB storage port. I just purchased a HP SimpleSave 1TB external HDD. It has on-board backup software, but it will not run over the network b/c it says it needs to be run directly from the drive to my computer. I tried to go through window to back-up but I guess my version of Windows 7 doesn't support back-up to a remote drive on a network.

So, here's my questions...

1) Is there anyway to work around the HDD software block that's keeping it from running over the network? Essentially making the drive think that it is attached directly to my computer.

2) If question 1 can't be done, are there any good freeware back-up programs out there that are comparable to HP/Windows back-ups, or even maybe better?

Thanks in advance for any help which could be provided in this matter!
post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEtskiMAN View Post
I'm in the process of setting up a network drive on my home wi-fi. I have a netgear router which has a remote USB storage port. I just purchased a HP SimpleSave 1TB external HDD. It has on-board backup software, but it will not run over the network b/c it says it needs to be run directly from the drive to my computer. I tried to go through window to back-up but I guess my version of Windows 7 doesn't support back-up to a remote drive on a network.

So, here's my questions...

1) Is there anyway to work around the HDD software block that's keeping it from running over the network? Essentially making the drive think that it is attached directly to my computer.

2) If question 1 can't be done, are there any good freeware back-up programs out there that are comparable to HP/Windows back-ups, or even maybe better?

Thanks in advance for any help which could be provided in this matter!
The backup software on each hard drive can be different, so there isn't a good way for me to know exactly the limits. Backup Exec is the program that used to be included with windows, and you had to buy their version of the software to backup over the network. It is what we use here at work.

I know with another hard drive you can do a volume mount point. This allows for a folder to be on another hard drive, but the system thinks this is just a folder.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thx... I was hoping not to have to buy new software though. In my experience freeware versions, although not being as stable all of the time, run faster b/c they use less ram and they usually take up less HDD space.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

My first question would be, why aren't you plugging the drive into the PC to be backed up via the USB or eSATA cable? I'd guess that the answer to that is that you have a couple of PCs to back up that are networked over that router. If that's the case then you have a couple choices to make. 1) connect the drive to to PC to be backed up and give the backup file a unique name for each PC that you do. 2) get a consumer level Network Attached Storage (NAS) device that can back up your PCs over your network 3) look at a company named Storix and see if they have a freeware version, they started out as a *nix backup company, but have evolved into a top notch backup solution 4) get a 2nd HD for each PC and use Win7 backup to get the job done on each PC.

I only need to back up one of my four PCs, i use an external drive that has two 1TB drives in RAID 10, so my solution was pretty simple.

Happy New Year

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page