Weird Fact about 2010/11 Camaros and there Battery. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Weird Fact about 2010/11 Camaros and there Battery.

My car sleeps in the garage at night along with my 69 the last few nights it has been getting down into the lower teens so when I go outside into the garage and crank my car up its BRRRRRRRRR F##KN Cold lets put it.
IT was 26 in my Garage this morning and my car turned over very slow almost like it was having a hard time cranking over.
I decided to open the trunk and check the battery terminals to make sure they were tight and something that shocks me that I noticed these batteries sit on Cold Hard steel nothing below like rubber or even a felt wrap around the battery.

Trucks that are Built in MExico or Arlington texas ( dfw ) have felt blankets that the batteries sit down inside and wrap around the battery for thermal protection.

it amazes how such a cheap fix isnt something that is used on a car that is built up north. Even one of the guys I work with said his Mustang is the same way ( built in Michigan )

im thinking of putting a piece of rubber under my battery and maybe see if i can get one of those felt socks lets call it we have on Trucks built down here.
post #2 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

i never noticed that. but i have a battery tender on mine in the winter, so it always starts up first time! sucks that its 25 in your garage........ DO YOU GOT F'IN SNOW ON THE GOUND?!?!?!

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #3 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 11:46 AM

I have been dealing with cold weather and starting all kinds of equipment from large trucks to tractors to railroad engines for almost 60 years. When a battery is sitting on rubber or felt it is for vibration protection, not cold. Your battery will cool at the same rate no matter what it is sitting on. We have been down to zero here this winter and my Camaro cranks very well.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!

Last edited by dconradt; 01-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i never noticed that. but i have a battery tender on mine in the winter, so it always starts up first time! sucks that its 25 in your garage........ DO YOU GOT F'IN SNOW ON THE GOUND?!?!?!
Is that battery tender a heater? Those make a HUGE difference.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

post #5 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
I have a lake in my backyard so its always nearly 6 to 8 degrees cooler at my house. We had snow Sunday however it didnt stick.
We are having an artic blast this week highs in high 20's lows in teens in some places. My Garage gets hit from the North wind off the lake so that metal garage door doesnt insulate anything .

I'm actually working on building a new house as we speak they break ground when it warms up. My next 40x40 shop will soon or later be blown in insulated.

I'm going to Hook up my Camaro on its battery tender when I get home tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconradt View Post
I have been dealing with cold weather and starting all kinds of equipment from large trucks to tractors to railroad engines for almost 60 years. When a battery is sitting on rubber or felt it is for vibration protection, not cold. Your battery will cool at the same rate no matter what it is sitting on. We have been down to zero here this winter and my Camaro cranks very well.

That makes sense im just curious why Trucks get battery thermal socks ( whatever they are called ) and Camaro's dont.

I also wonder if Camaros up north get different batteries than cars that come down south do. I know if you walk into a autopart store up north yalls batteries are high cold cranking amp batteries where down here they dont stock many of those since normally it doesnt get real cold.

wonder if the thicker oil weight im using has a lot to do with it also? hmmmmm

Scott its not because his car was sold by you and mine was sold by Well lol SHUDDUP Caveman

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 01-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Dave, that Wisconsin Victory Red Camaro will eat your Texas Yellow one...MORE HP in the NORTHERN CAMARO'S

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #7 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
Dave, that Wisconsin Victory Red Camaro will eat your Texas Yellow one...MORE HP in the NORTHERN CAMARO'S

then ship mine up there we will put you behind the wheel of the red one and I will put Mr Hall behind the wheel of mine lol

We are talking about Cold starts and batteries not Hp "DARTH"

Can you even drive a Camaro I mean its not a Vibe

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 01-11-2011 at 12:43 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

My Camaro is SOOO hot, I never have to worry about the battery cooling off. Even sitting on a block of ice in the trunk. 450 HP and counting.

BTW, when it gets up to 26 above around here we take off the big coats and go for a swim in lake Michigan.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconradt View Post
My Camaro is SOOO hot, I never have to worry about the battery cooling off. Even sitting on a block of ice in the trunk. 450 HP and counting.

BTW, when it gets up to 26 above around here we take off the big coats and go for a swim in lake Michigan.
You have been around Scott to much.

As for the swimming in cold water............ No comment lol.

Hmmm 451 rwhp? Same as I lol.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I have a lake in my backyard so its always nearly 6 to 8 degrees cooler at my house. We had snow Sunday however it didnt stick.
We are having an artic blast this week highs in high 20's lows in teens in some places. My Garage gets hit from the North wind off the lake so that metal garage door doesnt insulate anything .

I'm actually working on building a new house as we speak they break ground when it warms up. My next 40x40 shop will soon or later be blown in insulated.

I'm going to Hook up my Camaro on its battery tender when I get home tonight.

That makes sense im just curious why Trucks get battery thermal socks ( whatever they are called ) and Camaro's dont.

I also wonder if Camaros up north get different batteries than cars that come down south do. I know if you walk into a autopart store up north yalls batteries are high cold cranking amp batteries where down here they dont stock many of those since normally it doesnt get real cold.

wonder if the thicker oil weight im using has a lot to do with it also? hmmmmm

Scott its not because his car was sold by you and mine was sold by Well lol SHUDDUP Caveman
im planning on building beginning of next year. use our products for your garage and your house in general. tell you heating and A/C installer you want Thermo products for your house www.thermopan.com ill hook you up.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page