Verizon gets the iPhone 4. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Verizon gets the iPhone 4.

So I'm reading that Verizon announced it will be getting the iPhone 4 in February. Existing Verizon customers will be able to pre-order the phone on February 3. Please follow this link to read the CNN story if you want. http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/11/tech...dex.htm?hpt=T2

The "New Every Two" plan will remain intact for current subscribers to use your credits for an iPhone. My question is how much credit are they willing to give potential existing customers. I am now eligible for an upgrade through this plan and am considering an iPhone. How much of a discount will I, or anybody for that matter, get if you use the upgrade?

An interesting issue that has popped up is the lack of 4G support for the iPhone. This means you won't be able to "chat and surf" at the same time. Verizon is touting a new 4G service now. Why not use it?

With this phone on Verizon's network you will be able to turn your phone into a wireless hotspot for up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices. A feature that AT&T subscribers cannot access without "jail breaking" their phone. Is this a selling point? Do you really need to enable your phone to be a "hot spot"?

With the obvious omission of data plan pricing in this announcement one would speculate this may signal the end of the unlimited plans for their current smartphone data plan offerings. Perhaps there will be a data plan for iPhone and a data plan for everything else? Not the best plan, but Verizon could do that to keep data usage down by inflating the price.

Since Verizon did not sign an exclusive contract with Apple for the CDMA devices this means you could see the iPhone appear on Sprint or T-Mobile in the future.

All things considered, this is a good thing to open it up for other service providers such as Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. With people leaving AT&T for Verizon, which will happen, you will see service most likely improve for existing AT&T customers over time.

What are you thoughts?

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants... and slide on the ice." Sidney Friedman

"A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come."
post #2 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Looking forward to feb 3rd

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

From what I've read is that the current iphone will not work w/ verizon 4g....but the next one will. I've also heard that you wont even be able to get 4g in all areas yet anyway, not to mention the prices are going to increase for 4g service.

I have verizon service now and it works very well here (at&t not so good)...I am due for a new phone and can get a droid incredible for free or droid 2 for $29...not sure it's really worth it to pay probably $200 (or more) for an iphone when the droids are so cheap.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #4 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

Hopefully it will work out nice for u verizon folks. And yeah the iphone 4 is a 3g phone unless they do some crazy upgrade. I have sprint so I have an epic 4g. The 4g is faster than the 3g phones I tried and we don't even have 4g towers in my area yet. I bet they'll have a 4g iphone out by late spring/early summer. Id wait and upgrade then. Then u can also see how the plans pan out.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #5 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

im on the list for 4 phones. cant wait.
with as long as it takes to get good phones at verizon, im not waiting for a 4g. thats just a bunch of BS anyways. who can make the next biggest number in front of a G wins.

i got 6G...I WIN!

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #6 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Not the least bit enticed by the Apple flavored Kool-Aid... when the time comes I will be joining the Android fraternity

Scooba Steve
post #7 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanChevy View Post
Looking forward to feb 3rd
Week early isn't it? I thought I remembered 2/10/11 from the verizonwireless.com website.

Scratch that. Feb 3rd is for pre-orders. Nevermind.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

Last edited by el ess X; 01-11-2011 at 02:03 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

i thought about the droid, but my sister has the droid X? i think. and she has problems with it all the time. my buddy also has a droid and he said it blows. hes gone through 2 already and hes only had it a few months. ive had blackberry's for the past 4 years. i love them. emails great. ive only had a few problems with it freezing. last time i lost ALL my info. im just ready to change. like cars, i need to get new phones every now and then too.

Brixton Forged
post #9 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Week early isn't it? I thought I remembered 2/10/11 from the verizonwireless.com website.
pre order for verizon customers. 10th is any other customers.

Brixton Forged
post #10 of 42 Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

here's a good side by side comparison (att iphone vs verizon iphone).

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/a...whats-changed/

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page