When is do we reach too much horsepower? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

When is do we reach too much horsepower?

I was reflecting a little about my post early regarding the Mustang GT and myself. I am pretty darn sure I'll get "flamed" by someone...

But, each year we get more and more torque and hp from our cars that we would possibly never imagine possible... Where are we to actually enjoy that kind of power beyond that of a track or out somewhere in the middle of nowhere... I'm talking legally being about to take advantage of the cars potential.

Whats the point of having a 500+hp car sitting in traffic, or riding down 45mph lanes or limited to maybe perhaps going 80 on the interstate? I never really thought about it too much - don't know why I'm thinking about it now. Meh...

Thats alot of money for something you may get a punch off the light and a few joys here and there for something you can't consistently accomplish on todays roads.

*I just noticed I typed "When is do"... sorry, I got alot on my mind with medical discharge and what not - excuse the typos...
post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM

I've thought about it to. Trading in the power for something a little slower but more comfortable.

Then it dawns on me. One of the things most people can agree on is that life is about those moments of joy, even few they may be, that we get. So what if I only get to enjoy the power once a week, or even less? It's the fact that I enjoy the ride. A comfortable car would be just that, comfortable. I want exciting.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

The horsepower numbers never really impressed me, what does is how a car can put its horsepower to the ground. Going up in tire smoke doesn't win races.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

That's a good question my friend. I can tell you for me- I will never reach that point. For me, it has nothing to do with the power, or always trying to be the fastest, or putting the most power to the ground. It's much more than that!!

For example, building the 468 that sits in my 67 RS/SS Camaro, I never had a goal, or number that I wanted to achieve in mind. After talking to Comp Cams, Holley, Keisler, Summit Racing, Speed Pro, and a few good friends back home the end result netted 613 horses and 618 foot lbs of torque. Do I get to use all of that. Absolutely not. But knowing that I planned, built, and executed that combination.... Well that is a feeling of success. And every time I fire that ol' big block up, I get a rush like words can't describe. Do I crave more?!?! Absolutely! And it's not because I race it (which I don't), it's not because someone out there has more power, I want to be able to prove to myself, that I can do it. It has nothing to do with anyone else. I would like nothing more than to open my hood and see a Pro-Charger sitting on top of that motor. Would I be able to use those horses? Not no, but hell no!! But it would be another chapter completed....

I would probably go out a limb and say that most of your cars that are pushing 500 horses and above, are not driven on a daily basis or as a commuter. Because of that, that car now becomes luxury, and luxury becomes pride. And well, I believe that you can never have enough pride....
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6731 View Post
That's a good question my friend. I can tell you for me- I will never reach that point. For me, it has nothing to do with the power, or always trying to be the fastest, or putting the most power to the ground. It's much more than that!!

For example, building the 468 that sits in my 67 RS/SS Camaro, I never had a goal, or number that I wanted to achieve in mind. After talking to Comp Cams, Holley, Keisler, Summit Racing, Speed Pro, and a few good friends back home the end result netted 613 horses and 618 foot lbs of torque. Do I get to use all of that. Absolutely not. But knowing that I planned, built, and executed that combination.... Well that is a feeling of success. And every time I fire that ol' big block up, I get a rush like words can't describe. Do I crave more?!?! Absolutely! And it's not because I race it (which I don't), it's not because someone out there has more power, I want to be able to prove to myself, that I can do it. It has nothing to do with anyone else. I would like nothing more than to open my hood and see a Pro-Charger sitting on top of that motor. Would I be able to use those horses? Not no, but hell no!! But it would be another chapter completed....

I would probably go out a limb and say that most of your cars that are pushing 500 horses and above, are not driven on a daily basis or as a commuter. Because of that, that car now becomes luxury, and luxury becomes pride. And well, I believe that you can never have enough pride....
I can see your point of view - very much how my father is and where I obtained my passion for cars. He restores cars.

But, I was thinking the economical value vs "pride."

Kind of like how that man with the 2010 Mustang GT had his fully loaded...paid more than I did with my V6 Camaro. I still had that same "oomph" and enjoyment. Paid less and in fact about a week ago came across a Mustang 5.0 and we both drove side by side in traffic and both (I would hope had fun)... or when I was driving towards New Mexico and had a Porsche "race me." I was going well over a 100mph and still didn't feel like my car was a "loser."

I can always respect a car that is built from scratch and has REAL sentimental value for workmanship and etc. But, for a car that is bought 50grand plus... makes me confused at times. I suppose if you have the money to through around - sure why not. But, have fun getting the same fun most others get is my answer.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Just FYI - I am not hating on anyone or any car. I would love a Corevette one day...

Just was thinking out loud why pay so much for something with occasional gain in situational circumstances. Is it worth the 30plus grand over other cars? That's something I never quite understood. Maybe I'm looking at it from a middle income kind of guy. I know some are blessed with more money then they know what to do with. But, most often I see people driving the same speed as I do (even when I want to have fun) and yet - I paid much less for the same enjoyment - the thrill of driving a car meant for driving. And keep in mind we are talking within legal limits - and perhaps about 10-20 over speed limit in some scenarios.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
...because we can.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM

<--- I think my name explains my feeling on this!

sicker than most.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryDomini View Post
Then it dawns on me. One of the things most people can agree on is that life is about those moments of joy, even few they may be, that we get. So what if I only get to enjoy the power once a week, or even less? It's the fact that I enjoy the ride. A comfortable car would be just that, comfortable. I want exciting.
Exactly!

There's no such thing as too much horsepower...no matter how often you get to use it. Can a lot of hp be dangerous...yes...but so is texting while you drive. And IMO no one has ever wasted their money buying more hp as long as they know how to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6731 View Post
NEVER

If you think that $30,000 car (I know it was a little less) makes you feel good...believe it or not...a $60,000 car will make you feel even better.

Last edited by Envy; 01-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't realize it was possible to have too much horsepower. Well, unless your car is FWD then it is possible.

Still a wannabe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page