Android - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HeavyWeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 715
 
Android

I just ordered a Samsung Vibrant, it should be here before the end of the week.

Android users, any suggestions on must have apps (productive or entertaining)?

Scooba Steve
HeavyWeight is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
just picked up a "Driod2-Global"....so I'm searching as well. Already addicted to "Fruit Ninja".

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
 
CamaroChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,030
 
There are a lot of great apps

Tango... sort of like video chat that the i phone has

Google sky map...shows you where all the plantets, stars, etc... just hold your phone up to the nights sky

Advance task killer is a must have...saves battery

Apps organizer is also very nice

Pandora is great radio

PdaNet lets you hook up your phone to a laptop and use your phone for the computers internet

Scanner Radio is just a fun app when you get bored


JBA Cat Back Exhaust
Pfadt Adjustable Sport Sway Bars
Pfadt Drop Springs
Misc Appearance Changes

Other Car~93 SVT Lightning #260 w/408
CamaroChic is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HeavyWeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 715
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChic View Post
There are a lot of great apps

Tango... sort of like video chat that the i phone has

Google sky map...shows you where all the plantets, stars, etc... just hold your phone up to the nights sky

Advance task killer is a must have...saves battery

Apps organizer is also very nice

Pandora is great radio

PdaNet lets you hook up your phone to a laptop and use your phone for the computers internet

Scanner Radio is just a fun app when you get bored
Thanks I'll check those out as soon as I get my phone.

Scooba Steve
HeavyWeight is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
golfaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 897
 
Definitely going to want a "task manager" program, there are plenty of good free ones. Use it to shut down all the background apps that keep trying to run and kill your battery life. Also if you have a Camaro or other newer GM car/truck, the Onstar app is pretty cool.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
golfaholic is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
golfaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 897
 
Sorry just noticed that CamaroChic made the same suggestion on the task manager, so I just second her suggestion.

2011 Synergy Green Metallic 1SS Camaro:
RS Package, White Ralley Stripes, Premium Sound.
Mods; Flowmaster Exhaust, Vararam CAI, Pfadt Sport Suspension, Budnik "Ice" Wheels, Nitto Invo tires
Upcoming Mods; Custom grill and badging.
golfaholic is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
 
FranknBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 1,181
 
angry birds
cbs news
Flixter - movie app
my verizon mobile
pdanet
Queueman
shazam
slacker
vignette camera
zedge

FranknBeans is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 66
 
Welcome to the Android community. I have the HTC EVO and love it. You can spend hours looking through the market. Here is what I have installed on my phone, most I use...

App Brain - gives you a backup list of installed apps so that if anything happens to your phone you don't have to guess at what you had installed. Very handy especially if you plan on rooting the phone and installing a different ROM on it.
YouMail - voicemail application.
ThinkFree Office - alot like MS Office for your phone.
Google Maps
Gas Buddy
Torch - you can use your phones camera LED as a flash light for a short period of time.
Google goggles
Latitude
Periodic table
Pandora radio
Zedge wallpaper and ringtone application
Dolphin Browser HD
AK notepad
3d Compass Lite
9s-weather
Accuweather
Agenda Widget - calendar app
Amazon MP3
Angry birds
AVG antivirus
Bookmarks to SD
Calculator
Convert Pad
Google Earth viewer
fring - video chat
Google sky map
Motor Trend app
NASA astronomy picture of the day
NASA news
NASCAR news
Newegg app
Photoshop express
Pocket DJ
Printer Share
QIK - another video chat program
Scanner radio
ShopSavvy - barcode reader
Skype
Speed Test
Speedview - cool GPS speedometer
W&Y pages
Weatherbug
All of the above apps are available for free. Some of these apps you will not need if you leave your phone stock. However I rooted mine and changed to the Cyanogen CM6 ROM. These do not have all of the normal applications in them so I had to find things like a calendar, clock and weather application.

A couple other apps to look at that aren't free but very useful are PhoneMyPC which allows you to access your desktop PC from your phone. And PhoneLocator Pro which allows you to find your phone if it is lost or stolen.

David
91Z28 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HeavyWeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 715
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
Welcome to the Android community. I have the HTC EVO and love it. You can spend hours looking through the market. Here is what I have installed on my phone, most I use...

App Brain - gives you a backup list of installed apps so that if anything happens to your phone you don't have to guess at what you had installed. Very handy especially if you plan on rooting the phone and installing a different ROM on it.
YouMail - voicemail application.
ThinkFree Office - alot like MS Office for your phone.
Google Maps
Gas Buddy
Torch - you can use your phones camera LED as a flash light for a short period of time.
Google goggles
Latitude
Periodic table
Pandora radio
Zedge wallpaper and ringtone application
Dolphin Browser HD
AK notepad
3d Compass Lite
9s-weather
Accuweather
Agenda Widget - calendar app
Amazon MP3
Angry birds
AVG antivirus
Bookmarks to SD
Calculator
Convert Pad
Google Earth viewer
fring - video chat
Google sky map
Motor Trend app
NASA astronomy picture of the day
NASA news
NASCAR news
Newegg app
Photoshop express
Pocket DJ
Printer Share
QIK - another video chat program
Scanner radio
ShopSavvy - barcode reader
Skype
Speed Test
Speedview - cool GPS speedometer
W&Y pages
Weatherbug
All of the above apps are available for free. Some of these apps you will not need if you leave your phone stock. However I rooted mine and changed to the Cyanogen CM6 ROM. These do not have all of the normal applications in them so I had to find things like a calendar, clock and weather application.

A couple other apps to look at that aren't free but very useful are PhoneMyPC which allows you to access your desktop PC from your phone. And PhoneLocator Pro which allows you to find your phone if it is lost or stolen.

David
Thanks Man, that's a hell of a list.

The phone is scheduled for UPS delivery on Thursday, I'm really looking forward to it getting here

Scooba Steve
HeavyWeight is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 66
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyWeight View Post
Thanks Man, that's a hell of a list.

The phone is scheduled for UPS delivery on Thursday, I'm really looking forward to it getting here
Did you get your phone yet?

David
91Z28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome