25 years ago today - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
The MC Lounge General Discussions. Disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
POLITICAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS CONTENT IS PROHIBITED

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
25 years ago today

The 25th Space Shuttle mission the Challenger exploded 73 seconds after takeoff... May the seven astronauts RIP

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #2 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

OceanChevy, I can remember being in class and watching this live. It's one of those rare moments that you will never forget..... God Bless those Astronauts and God Speed!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

There are moments in this nation's rich history that gets us all choked up. This was one of them. RIP.

Gone, but never forgotten.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

A very touching article that I found about that horrible day- Bucky

Where were you when the Challenger exploded?

It was like Pearl Harbor. It was like JFK's assassination. It was like 9/11 and the day Elvis died.

When the space shuttle Challenger exploded before a live TV audience of mostly schoolchildren, it left a permanent mark on the psyches of most Americans who were old enough to remember.

The Raycom News Network took an informal Facebook poll and asked people where they were when the Challenger exploded. We received more than 200 responses in less than an hour.

Bobbi Rahanek was an 8-year-old in North Dakota, and her mother kept her home to watch the launch. She was sitting on the floor watching the shuttle go up when it exploded.

"I screamed and cried and asked my mother if we could go there to help save them," she said. "When she told me no, I ran to my room and cried forever. To this day it saddens me for all of them and their families. What a tragedy and a dark day for us all."

Jodell Johnson-Bridge of Murrells Inlet, SC, was in Disney World in Orlando, FL, about 55 miles from Cape Canaveral, where the space shuttle launched.

"Everyone was looking up, thinking it was all routine," she said. "I will always remember the moment as a sad one, a moment when I was watching lives come to an end."

Shannon Bizzell Gray of Tampa, FL, was in the eighth grade at St. Bede Catholic School in Montgomery, AL. She said she remembers sitting in silence after the tragedy.

"Which says a lot for a bunch of eighth graders. All the kids just looking at each other like, 'That didn't just really happen did it?' They turned the TV off pretty quickly after it happened, and we just tried to go back to normal school life."

But for the schoolchildren who witnessed the tragedy, nothing about the day could ever be normal. For that generation, it was the first time they realized their heroes - their teachers - could vanish in a plume of smoke
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Gosh, I can't believe that was 25 years ago already.

I remember that day clearly, it was my then-best-friend's birthday.
We watched it live on an old (well, new then) Zenith 19" TV in our 3rd grade classroom.

Wow. It's somber to think about.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
I was at work and heard about it on a small radio I kept in my office.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #8 of 11 Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Why is it that the shuttle blowing up is telivised more than this? That was by far the best speech ever given and its not much more than a mere footnote in the media.

They don't drone on and on about the loss of Grissiom, White, & Chaffee on the launch pad during preflight tests for Apollo 1. We have a building for each one of those men here at Purdue and each one has a memorial to its namesake.

In Potter Engineering Library, IIRC, theres a wall dedicated solely to the Challenger crew and the multiple scientific packages that Purdue students built for that very mission.

In Armstrong Hall there was for a time, not sure if its still there, a memorial for the Columbia crew and there still is a tile off the bottom of Columbia from a previous mission on display. My HS shop teacher was in Texas hunting wild hogs when he saw Columbia break up on re-entry. He assisted in the S&R mission that confirmed the loss of the crew.

I guess the thing that pisses me off the most is that they are trying to make space travel look unsafe. Look at the number of manned missions vs the number of fatalities. We've lost 17 people in the entire history of US manned spaceflight (space missions only, not airplane flight accidents).

Rant off

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I was 33 then and remember it like yesterday, very depressing sick day. Everyone in the office that day was so upset that I just told everyone to just go home......and we did.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6731 View Post
OceanChevy, I can remember being in class and watching this live. It's one of those rare moments that you will never forget..... God Bless those Astronauts and God Speed!!!
I was in 5th grade; I was shocked and remember it. I still have an awful feeling of those people burning up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneSS/RS View Post
Gosh, I can't believe that was 25 years ago already.
I just thought the same thing.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page